Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Z
Harv

were you at WF today?

Was great spring skiing for January but as another staff member put it the Jan thaw can not decide to go until the spring as it did last year.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nope. I posted that pic for ml who texted it to me while I was getting the BUZZ CUT of the century in Flatlands USA.

Oh the HUMANITY! (Inhumanity?)

ml's BKO Tweet:

The cold is comin. But as Jason said, maybe too cold.  Southerly Storm Track?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Harvey44 wrote

The cold is comin. But as Jason said, maybe too cold.  Southerly Storm Track?
I'm sitt'n here in the Detroit airport heading west and looking at the TV and the weather radar has a green swath from Louisiana to the Canadian border with only a couple of blue (ice) globs behind it. I don't know if it is going south or not but it looks like NY will get wet tonight - rain and 40+ degrees tonight, yuck!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions Jan 13

Z
The problem with natural snow is that it melts so much faster than snow that comes from the guns.  I was pretty suprised at how much snow disappeared from Saturday to Sunday.  I'm sure they will hit the snowmaking hard once it gets cold Monday night.  Get out the carving skis (or craving for Harv since he likes that term) for this week and MLK.  Its going to get really cold at night this week so that will help.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
Can I assume there's pretty much no snow on the XC and Snowshoe trails up in Lake Placid?

Leaving tomorrow after work and if there's no point in lugging the snowshoes and XC gear 315 miles it would be nice to know!
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Gomez, bring 'em.  Current xc conditions in the Lake Placid area can be found here:
http://www.jackrabbittrail.org/conditions.html

Certainly not stellar right now, but it looks like conditions will improve over the course of the weekend, particularly with a shot of snow expected Sat night.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
we got a solid 5 in the past two days.  They are getting back in shape.   Last night you could ski them.  The snow covered most of the ice.  Today's morning squall probably took care of the rest.  If we get any snow at all when you are here they will be great.  They may be a little packed out if we dont.  If you go out after a couple days of no snow go off the beaten path.  May be whiteface landing or somewhere out near paul smiths.  If we have snow go to Henry Woods or John Brown Farm.   This is all predicated on the assumption you are staying in LP.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
This post was updated on .
I am wondering why today's report shows no snow making at all on any trail at all?  Its nice that Upper and Lower Mac were opened, but with these temps, shouldnt they be hitting upper Northway?  Or are they moving all of the guns to Lookout Mountain?

Alas, I am staying in NJ this weekend, so I wont ski till next Saturday
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
snowing making on wilmington today and upper/lower valley, easy street.  tower 10 hill was sick!  Guns moving to Hoyts maybe tomorrow/Tuesday.  Guns will be moving to Hoyts!!  Hoyts would be 4sure by next weekend but Wednesday's weather is gonna be tough...  

AS,  could you lodge a complaint w/ Mother Nature?  You sure are one hell of a complainer
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
1/26-1/27

An amazing recovery!  The whole mtn rocked!  If I cant ski pow, then next best is WF manAmade!  Freaking effortless sliding top2bottom.  Just a huge amount of snow was made last week and this weekend was FUN!!  

NICE JOB WF!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
ScottyJack wrote
1/26-1/27

An amazing recovery!  The whole mtn rocked!  If I cant ski pow, then next best is WF manAmade!  Freaking effortless sliding top2bottom.  Just a huge amount of snow was made last week and this weekend was FUN!!  

NICE JOB WF!!!  
+1

Skyward and Victoria were awesome today ... only skied until about noon, but what a great morning!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Coach or Scotty, any idea what the conditions are at WF? Any firsthand reports?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
firm but FAST!  sharpen them edges!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Up at WF today. Very firm with some true blue in spots. On Mountain Run they made snow all day, it bumped up and was pretty good but you needed to watch for the ice spots. Lots of big cookies in places to watch out for. After a few trys off the Gondola I decided to stay where they were making snow.

A general comment - there is almost no snow in the woods anywhere, Keen and Keene Valley all had lots of ground showing. This is really getting to be a depressing winter. We need some big dumpers.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Agree Dan. Hard to beleive its 2/5, on the drive over to WF it looked like early November. The hill itself was in fair shape considering the previous weeks hit. Major snow loss, Skyward was closed, unless they get the guns on it I don't see them opening it for a while. Mtn Run was a blast with the guns blazing. Not sure the effort they are puttin into Hoyts is really worth it this late in the season. IMO they should be tuning up all the trails that at least have a base. Especially Skyward.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - Feb 3

Z
They started blowing Mt Run Saturday and 1st thing Sunday it was snow making crud and soft backed rollers.  By lunch it was nice intermediate bumps.  I was helping someone getting ready for their Level 2 skiing exam and I took them on it later in the day and it was full out Level 3 deep bumps.  its amazing how fast it changed during the day.  Still good fun all day but too much for the person I was working with.

The facelift groomers runs were nice all weekend and I really enjoyed some nice blue cruising.  This is not the time to ski on untuned skis though - either tune them or pay someone to do it for you.
KC
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - Feb 3

KC
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm over at Jay for the gladeless tree PSIA tree clinic while the grandparents care for the kiddo or I would definately be hitting that
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Hit WF yesterday morning.  The mountain skied GREAT.  Hoyts was a blast.  No Skyward.  Everything changes Saturday
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
1 ... 45678910 ... 16