classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
317 messages Options
1 ... 111213141516
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

JTG4eva!
Wow.   Great day.  5 laps in the Slides.  Spent.  Time for booze, which waited until the end of the day!

I approached one skier sans poles......it was Glade Runner.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I got 4 laps in the slides.  Did you see me?  I brought my poles.  But, I saw another guy in there without them.   They were helpful for the traverse, I admit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Great day, did slide 2 with my 11 yr old. Wilmington, skyward, mt run all great. So glad to have finally gotten into slides. Sipping an Ubu now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Adk Jeff wrote
Great day, did slide 2 with my 11 yr old. Wilmington, skyward, mt run all great. So glad to have finally gotten into slides. Sipping an Ubu now.
Jeff that is sweet. I didn't know that was your first time, very cool! Sorry I missed you guys. I got a can of Heineken now and it tastes pretty good too.  

I requested a mountain host and got a bunch of them. AK, HPD, Chris, ScottyJack, TJ, Phil, so f'ing cool.  We did 5 slides (1, 2b, 3, 4, and 2b) and a two runs in the trees, only hitting Boreen to come back down.

Conditions definitely got better with skier traffic.  I thought the skiing was tough, but very much fun.  

It snowed hard on and off and really felt like winter above mid.  

I am exhausted. I must have done 1000 jump turns. I think JTG must have been in his element.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
So tell me how to post pics from my iPhone.  When I try it says it must be jpg, but the pics on the phone are jpg.....

Hooked up with a nice young couple, Ethan and Emily.  We were there when they dropped the rope, and were the first ones down 4.  We hit 2b next, and spent the next 3 trips playing in the trees, hitting the falls on the bottom of 1, a traverse to the bottom of 2.  Ethan was intent on playing in the woods.  Found a spot in there he had skied before and it was fantastic.  Fresh lines of 1-2' of powder in the trees.

One of my better Slides days.  The powder in the trees was light and dry, with no crust.  Pics coming....
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Wasn't sure what we were going to find today, given the funky mix of weather at times yesterday, followed by the deep freeze.

Conditions are very good.  With the wind there is lots of wind blown goodness.  While frozen granular in spots, the primary surface is soft snow and cut up wind blown, at least where we have been.  

Cloudspin is great.  Skyward, other than a powder day, is skiing about as good as it can.  Fortunately the wind hasn't been a problem.  Slides look great, but no movement up there....
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Well.....when I can download my photos and video I'll post both of an untracked 2B with boot top wind blown powder.  Had to wait 20 minutes for a group to form....very small group.   Silver status and given the lack of people with avy gear I'm not sure if anyone else will get in....
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Unfortunately I didn't get in the slides Saturday as we are not allowed to take our kids group programs in there.  

It was so cold this morning first thing the wind was blowing straight up the hill.  Instant frostbite in late March for one of the teens in my group. The skiing was really good but we stuck to the Gondi for warmth in the morning.

My son reported finding tons of powder in woods that were not likely legal so I grabbed my rock broads after a long lunch For his Nysef awards.  Hooked up with Face and others and we had a fun afternoon.  Skied a glade I didn't know existed before.  Upper Cloud was lappably sweet. I suggested the power line that that was my high light of the day times two.  Skiing was really fun but dam I want some true spring skiing soon and then beers on the deck.

Harv sorry I missed taking a run with ya
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Wondering if tomorrow might be a great day......cough.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I wasn't prepared today and left my Avy gear at home

If it's still silver on a weekday you can wait a long time for a group to form
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Coach Z wrote
If it's still silver on a weekday you can wait a long time for a group to form
It was hard enough today, so that is what I'm worried about...
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Go to the courtesy desk and ask if you can get a tour
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Coach Z wrote
+1000
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Good idea.  Better than good.

Unfortunately couldn't pull it off today.  Whoever gets in there today is going to have one heck of a day....
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Is that all you need to do or do you need to call ahead? I did the tour thing with HPD and Harvey a few years (probably 5) back but Harv set it up. I know the mountain fairly well but have never been in the slides. Hoping for gold on Friday.

I convinced a buddy of mine to ditch work on Friday based on the hope for snow on Thursday/Thursday night. It could go either way. We are staying in LP on Friday night. Any recomendations for live music in LP Friday night?

I am going to be solo on Saturday if anyone is looking for a ski partner.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Txt from Suds:

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I met Suds!  

Gorgeous spring day.  Empire is the only thing I've skied besides the Slides so far.  Little sticky in spots, corning up nice in others.  Gonna go check out Cloudspin.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Cloudspin was heavenly spring goodness.  Cold and wind is moving in, so it just started stiffening up at the summit.  Clouds are here, too, after a bluebird day.  Still good, just not hero anymore up top.

Very grabby down low.
1 ... 111213141516