Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

ADmiKe
Danzilla wrote
Coach Z wrote
Go to the courtesy desk and ask if you can get a tour
Is that all you need to do or do you need to call ahead? I did the tour thing with HPD and Harvey a few years (probably 5) back but Harv set it up. I know the mountain fairly well but have never been in the slides. Hoping for gold on Friday.

I convinced a buddy of mine to ditch work on Friday based on the hope for snow on Thursday/Thursday night. It could go either way. We are staying in LP on Friday night. Any recomendations for live music in LP Friday night?

I am going to be solo on Saturday if anyone is looking for a ski partner.
I'll be skiing Saturday and Sunday...with two other guys. I'm hoping slides open Gold at some point but not getting hopes up...bringing the rock skis so I'm prepared.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Rock skis are probably a good idea.  Hopefully the system coming in brings snow, otherwise things could get exposed in there pretty quick.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Great to meet you JT...first Harvey roader I've met at Whiteface.  Today was awesome.  Best day for me at Whiteface this year and I didn't get there until 12.30.  Drinking a Double Bag...What a day  Epic?  sorry wrong thread
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Suds good on ya thanks for the sweet pics!

That shot of Four got some likes for sure.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Txt from Danzilla:

Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Harvey wrote
Txt from Danzilla:

SCORE - heading up in a few hours.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The photos speak for themselves.........

Empire

Slide Woods

Slides

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
IMG_20150328_122858956_HDR.jpg

Boom 5 on top on top of ten. Little crusty under 2800
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
^^I love Empire.

TJ hope it's ok I dropped that pic in.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Harvey wrote
^^I love Empire.

TJ hope it's ok I dropped that pic in.
Any pic of Empire is always welcome.  Such a good (classic) trail.  I tried to get artistic with the overhanging snow covered trees!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Very cold first thing in the morning.  I decided to drink some coffe and read the paper like normal people do on Sunday morning.  Got to WF at 11.  It was sunny and bluebird but still chilly with a cold wind.   Took a few runs but it was still firm.  It did thaw out on Lower Mac about 1 so we lapped that.  Oddly Wilderness and Mt. run right next to it never thawed out.  Maybe because Mac was not groomed.

Thanks to Grillman for the lamb chops and scallops.  They were so good.  Nice time on mid deck at lunch time.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
If following the posted DAC report is accurate, looks like the Lookout Triple didn't run yesterday.  It's not on the DAC as an anticipated lift for today.  However, the Wilmington trail is listed as open.

Anyone know the scoop, if there is anything to be scooped?  At some point they are going to probably shut Lookout down for midweek operations, hope we haven't gotten there yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Currently warm, bluebird, and a little sticky up top.  Haven't been down low.  Slides are open, much fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Just shut them down for the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Currently warm, bluebird, and a little sticky up top.  Haven't been down low.  Slides are open, much fun.
 here's hoping for the same tomorrow! gold status? I will bring the avi kit just in case but would love have my son join me
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Gold status today.  Don't see any reason why it would be any different tomorrow, but I always bring the gear just in case.  Seems they shut them down when they get really soft and sticky, so hit them early when/if they open.  Not going to firm up much tonight, so they might reach sticky earlier tomorrow.  You never know how limited the window might be....
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Unfortunately no Slides today, but what a glorious spring skiing day.  Bluebird skies, warm sun, soft snow.......so much fun.  It's a rip without thinking, no worries kind of day.  

Actually, while mid winter the natural trails like Cloudspin ski great, it was too sticky today.  The manmade granular is skiing best right now.  Coming down for lunch the lower mountain actually lost some of its stickyness and is more melty granular that doesn't grab.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
.....or maybe it's the wax the shop at the mountain put on this morning.  Needed a couple of base welds after 5 out of the last 12 days in the Slides.    They do a great job.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Powder, frozen groomed slush (ice) and corn.....miserable windy cold and sweating like a pig.....all in the course of a single trail (Wilmington).  It's that kind of day.  Upper Mac full winter icy and cold, Lower Mac spring corn and warm.  Upper and Lower Valley piles upon piles of soft granular.  Skiing water troughs in the bumps at the bottom.  That's been the afternoon.

This morning I got here for opening while the family ate breakfast.  4+ of wind blown powder on top of a refrozen hard base on Northway.  Lots of side trail powder to be found.

No summit Quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Summit Quad opened.....time to see what's there.

Got one summit run in.  Had to be 6 inches in Skyward.  Nice snow, but teeth chattering firm underneath.
1 ... 1213141516