361 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

64ER
snoloco wrote
Hopefully they can get some more terrain open, like maybe the summit.
Keep Thinking That, Sno;

Great Expectations are always in my game plan.  You always play the hand you're dealt, or, either go home or don't show up.

Jus' Sayin'.  Ski You Soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Well, at least it's in the 30s.....

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
"I think we will be just fine. Grooming Mountain Run for the first time right now.  Snow guns are fired back up and weather looks great heading into MLK weekend. We will have to make snow on some of our lower mountain trails again but that is no big deal. We hope to be making snow on the summit mid week."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Gonna be a great week for snowmaking!  Betcha for sure we're skiing summit this weekend.  Some of us be skinning it by Friday!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Just Paron's.......or Skyward, too?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
maybe skyward by Monday....  wind needs to die down.  Atmospheric Science Center recorded 127mph on the Summit last night at 11:30!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe

Skiing good today, a little snow overnight, steady snow showers this morning sun poking thru now....in great shape In my opinion especially after Sunday weather.

Need to ski midweek more often....
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Guns blazing on the summit.  How long does it take to cover the Ridge and Paron's, hoping that some natural base helps?  Website showing the snowmaking flake on Upper Sky as well.  How long does it typically take to cover Upper Sky/Niagara?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
JTG4eva! wrote
Guns blazing on the summit.  How long does it take to cover the Ridge and Paron's, hoping that some natural base helps?  Website showing the snowmaking flake on Upper Sky as well.  How long does it typically take to cover Upper Sky/Niagara?
optimal snowmaking (which its not this weekend) skyward can be 48 hours.  Parons maybe Sunday.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Warmish, but not too warm.  Mid down has some wet weather, but not really raining.  Halfway up Mountain Run to the top lightly snowing.  Cloud deck hanging around the top of the gondi.  Lines (maybe 10 minutes for the lifts) but we just had a great run on Excelsior, all to ourselves.

Excelsior was in great shape, nice and soft.  Boreen pretty much the same.  Upper/Lower Valley has plenty of scratchy noise if you aren't carving it.

Overall, nice day so far.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Cloudspin has cold beer.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
.....and Pain Killers and Bloody Mary's, too.

I much preferred the band at the front of the lounge, as opposed to the back, where they are now.

Blues and Beer!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Please make a point of telling Rob the Centerplate manager that if you see him.  Can't miss him now big Eastern European guy with a cast on one leg.

I barely go to the bar anymore since they took the games out so my kid doesn't feel like hanging out anymore.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
My kids didn't use the pool table or air hockey game that frequently, but when we wanted to have more than a drink or two it was nice to have the diversion for the kids.  

In all honesty, when we took a Pain Killer break at 2:30 today (because my dogs were barkin' breaking in the new boots), and the band started playing at 3:00, it seemed like they were a million miles away in the back of the lounge.  After we came back in and had a drink, sitting in the back by the band, it wasn't to horrible.

A foosball table would be nice.  Good diversion, doesn't take up too much space, and I could kick some ass.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Z
Rob broke his leg?
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I saw that guy. I'm  thinking wow this dude  is hardcore. Crutches, and a 2 way radio? Took an hour for food, but it didn't  even matter. Waitress was on point with drinks. They were bustin ass. Tomorrow  will be  good. I love this place!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Conditions were pretty good today, with the usual "skied off" issues late in the day.  Excelsior and Boreen were decent most of the day.  As usual, Victoria and U/L Valley had a bit more hard pack.  Superb snow at the edges of anything.  One of the main reasons one must be able to make short radius turns!

As for the Cloudspin Lounge....it's a hoping place.  5:00 and it hasn't slowed down much.  Plattekills bar is great, and the bar at Gore is pretty good.....but Cloudspin beats 'em all.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Paron's opened today.  Snowmaking ongoing, ungroomed, whales.  Fun.  Should be great once they groom it.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
ETA on Lookout?  It's the last lift that needs to open for the season and they have lots of cold weather this week to make snow.

I'd say that instead of opening it with only Wilmington trail at first that it should open with Hoyt's first.  Just have a sign at the bottom of the lift saying "Advanced terrain only".  It allows the lift to be lapped instead of doing the Lookout Chair-Wilmington-Facelift loop.

I'd like to see Lookout Below widened so that it can be groomed.  If that were to happen and snowmaking capacity allowed, I'd say it would be best to open Lookout with Hoyt's and Wilmington to Lookout Below.  Once those were done, add the longer, lower portion of Wilmington to connect to the base.  Trick is the get people to lap that chair instead of sending them down to the bottom.  I find that WF skis best if you take the Gondola or Facelift up and don't return to the bottom except for lunch and the end of the day.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Dude. Why are you posting in this thread? Go away. Whiteface was awesome today because it doesn't  cater to people that don't  "get it".  (Well mostly)  Race course opened around 10am. Vibe was good from the parking lot to the top of the gondi.
I don't rip, I bomb.
1 ... 45678910 ... 19