classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
772 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 39
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

snoloco
So not happening this weekend unless they light it up as soon as they get the temps.

Essex-Lower Northway seems more likely.  Be nice to get a steeper run open this weekend.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Snow line at tower 11 on gondola...rain down bottom...slowly mixing in with snow...Excelsior skiing better than expected with some fresh on top like 1-2".Feels like me and Jon951 have the place to ourselves.Hoping for a few inches tonight we'll see.....

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
how was it today?
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I thought it was excellent, warm enough to stay soft with fresh 1" on top for the majority of the run above mid.  Mid down could use some snow but Looks like a night of guns could fix that up...hopefully the move for tonight.  skied until noon because I had some things to take care of back in town, but as I type this in lake placid it's dumping. If this continues tmrw should be pretty sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Lake Placid right now
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Will be there bright n early.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Looks like they lit up Essex-Lower Northway this afternoon.  Seems like they held off on open terrain till closing.  Always good to not have to ski under the guns.  Hope they bring on more terrain by Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They opened Essex and Lower Northway today.  Excelsior is skiing great.  There is one thin icy spot on Lower Northway and guns on Essex are very wet.  Below Tower 10 is kind of sketchy.

They turned off most of the guns on Excelsior, while Essex and Lower Northway are still under them.  They're also making snow on Broadway.  The also are blowing on the lower mountain because it's pretty thin down there.  Nothing on Victoria yet, although the DAC says there is.  Maybe they'll start them later.

Gondola line is 3-5 minutes, Facelift and Mixing Bowl are also open and ski on.  Most people, including myself are skiing the gondola because the upper mountain is skiing better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Santas Ski for Free at Whiteface Mountain

WILMINGTON, N.Y. – ‘Tis the season for snow, skiing, and Santa, and Whiteface Mountain is celebrating with Santas Ski Free Day on Sunday, Dec.11. Skiers and riders who dress as Mr. or Mrs. Claus, participate in a group photo and arrive by 10 a.m. will receive a free lift ticket. Those who don’t have a jolly red suit can donate a gently used winter coat or a new toy (valued over $10) and receive 50% off a lift ticket for the day. Contributions will be a gifted to someone in need this holiday season.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Up top the packed powder was nice.  Really thin at bottom of tower 10 and at bottom.  Essex was good but with the guns going it was hard to see.

Worked the demo day which seemed successful.

Took a couple of runs with Sno.  He is a good kid and a fun to ski with.  Solid skier who I think is going to get much better skiing up here.  Look forward to skiing with him again in the future.

Needs to talk Snodad into some Kendos for Christmas.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Took a couple of runs with Sno.  He is a good kid and a fun to ski with.  Solid skier who I think is going to get much better skiing up here.  Look forward to skiing with him again in the future.

Needs to talk Snodad into some Kendos for Christmas.

Excellent ! No doubt Sno really digs having Face as his home mtn. That's bragging rights on this coast.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Was great meeting Coach today, and we also rode the gondola with D.B. Cooper.  I have no doubt that skiing at Whiteface this winter (and the next 3) will make me a better skier.  So much more vertical to work with.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
snoloco wrote
Was great meeting Coach today, and we also rode the gondola with D.B. Cooper.  I have no doubt that skiing at Whiteface this winter (and the next 3) will make me a better skier.  So much more vertical to work with.
If you keep hang'n with Z you might end up as a republican
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Let's keep the politics to the off-topic.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
What a difference a day makes!  All the icy spots on Northway are gone, and the last part of the run to the base is now fully covered.  Great snow all day, very little ice anywhere.  Snowmaking is now on Victoria, Broadway, and Wolf.  Still blowing Essex and Fox to build base Depth.  Hopefully lots more terrain next weekend!!

WF snowmakers are killing it!!  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Sno did I see you on a snowboard today?

Up top it was really nice packed pow and decent bumps on Essex today.

Based on Open Snows forecast we should be seeing solid terrian expansion over the next couple of weeks.
https://opensnow.com/location/whiteface
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Yes you did.  Been doing both for 5 years now.  It uses different muscles than skiing, so I could do it even though my ski legs weren't up for another day.

I took Excelsior almost all day, except for Essex a couple times in the morning because I can't snowboard on bumps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
A HA ! Traitor !!!

'splains the grief you get on here.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm not the only one as Glade could do both.
1 ... 891011121314 ... 39