classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
772 messages Options
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 39
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

snoloco
What's happening with the snowmaking?  Report shows they're only blowing Victoria and shut down everywhere else.  Hunter is blowing snow at the base, so WF should be able to as well.  I'm worried they ran out of water in the river.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Plenty of water in the river.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
In reply to this post by snoloco
probably setting up for the weknd with the real cold air incoming
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
temps are a tad borderline in the lower elevations today, will be good by tonight
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
My other theory is that because some of the trails they were blowing are parks, they need time to set up the features after finishing snowmaking.  Mountain Creek always took 1-2 days after finishing snowmaking on a park trail to open it.  I'm assuming WF is similar.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
NorEaster27 wrote
getting hit with some nice lake effect snow looking at the webcam
Why is the webcam always down?
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I have the same problem.  Can't seem to view it, even on a brand new computer.

Apparently they've got 20 inches in the past 7 days.  That should help things a lot.  Potsdam has zero snow, so I guess I was more worried than I should've been.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
you have no snow on ground?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
A little bit, but most has melted.  I think it's about 28-30 degrees here.

Weather.com is showing 29 in LP, yet they still haven't changed the report and aren't making snow outside of a couple areas.  I really hope the report is wrong and they're doing some serious snowmaking right now, like was happening last weekend.  No slacking off when you've got the temps in December.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sno you really need to chillax or you are going to drive everyone nuts.

They were moving the guns to Mt Run which they are now blowing on.  We are getting 2-3" per day lately of  upslope snow.  I drove to LP this morning and couldn't see much of the Mt it was snowing so hard.  Monday thru Tuesday is supposed to be a bigger system that Open Snow is saying will be 7-11" total for the two days.

Potsdam only tends to get lake effect when it's blowing from the SW which is not that common so what is happening there and here is a totally diff deal.

Look for me this weekend and we will take some runs.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Sorry, I used to live close enough to my home mountain that any weather I could see out the window was the weather on the mountain.  I'm now relying solely on the report, which is not the strong point at any of the ORDA mountains.  Webcam is broken too.

I assume Approach is getting blown too, as it is needed to access Mt Run.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
They could run LWF without approach being open.  Probably what will happen Saturday
Mt Run will have Yougee bumps by the end of the weekend
Won't groom it until probably Tuesday
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
If that's what happens, it'll be nice to be able to stay on the upper mountain.  Approach being open would be even better, but any terrain expansion is good.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Sno I don't think you have anything to worry about, there's plenty of snow and cold in the forecast and conditions are going to be great.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Just opened Broadway (without features) and Wolf today.  Good to have a second route to Midstation, and the base.  They'll probably spin the Bear lift this weekend.  Now just waiting for them to announce opening LWF for this weekend!!

They've also shut down snowmaking on Victoria, so I'm assuming those guns will go to Approach and the racing trails soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
piling up on our beloved.  Yesterday - deepest pow I've skied in two years! I'd say by Sunday morning good chance approach2mtn run!  

I love December in the Adirondacks!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Bunch of BS on the snow report this morning.  Shows LWF as open when it isn't.  The lift has been spinning all morning, and ski patrol lapping it, so obviously not a maintenance issue.  Can't be an issue with Mountain Run being closed either as the report shows the trail closed, with the lift in question open.  Gondola line is a full maze too.  I'll just keep stopping by the loading area and hope it opens after lunch.

Aside from the rant, conditions are decent everywhere.  Lower mountain is very crowded, as everyone has to go down there.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Skied Whiteface today after skiing gravel last weekend at gore. It skied great with excellent coverage and loads of terrain. My favorite run was essex which was bumped up. Heard several locals saying to avoid essex due to hard and weird shaped bumps. What?! This explains why i rarely saw another skier on it. Mountain Run was also good.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Arrgh, they opened Mountain Run the day after I was there!!  

Are they blowing Approach yet?
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Yes, Mt Run opened about 10am and it was fucking fabulous!!!! They kept the guns blasting all day and the skiing could only be described as dreamy, almost like it was brought by Santa himself!
Gotta go to know
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 39