136 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Winter 2016/2017 Plans?

snoloco
Harvey wrote
Visit smuggs
Actually will be skiing there this winter, sometime in January.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Great place by my standards but Sno will hate it.  Not a HSQ or a bubble heated chair to found.  Little grooming and the only way they are 100% open is with ma natures help.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Funny Coach, but I suspect he'll have a great time. Looking forward to your TR Sno.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The Madonna Lift Line is fun as shit and if I remember right the very top section of FIS is one of the steepest trails in the east. It was a long time ago. They sure have added a lot of glades on their trail map since 1992.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Funny Coach, but I suspect he'll have a great time. Looking forward to your TR Sno.
I can have fun at pretty much any ski area, even though I prefer some over others.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
The Madonna Lift Line is fun as shit and if I remember right the very top section of FIS is one of the steepest trails in the east. It was a long time ago. They sure have added a lot of glades on their trail map since 1992.
Yeah, too bad mountains can't just leave that stuff off the map. Tree skiing was much better when you were last here and before it was "official". Now most of this stuff is just bump runs in the woods when there's no fresh.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ml242 wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Yeah, too bad mountains can't just leave that stuff off the map. Tree skiing was much better when you were last here and before it was "official". Now most of this stuff is just bump runs in the woods when there's no fresh.
Both of these statements are true in my book. Sally's Alley (top of FIS) to Robins Run was my fav during my time at Smuggs. And when I was there if you showed, or even told anyone about Robins Run or The Black Hole your testicles would be cut off

I will always love Smuggs. To me the place still has the soul of what skiing is all about.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
campgottagopee wrote
ml242 wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Both of these statements are true in my book. Sally's Alley (top of FIS) to Robins Run was my fav during my time at Smuggs. And when I was there if you showed, or even told anyone about Robins Run or The Black Hole your testicles would be cut off
So what you're basically saying is that you don't want mountains to advertise their best terrain so you elitist snobs can have it all to yourselves.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
 And when I was there if you showed, or even told anyone about Robins Run or The Black Hole your testicles would be cut off
So that's what happened to your manhood.

I get it now.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
HEHE
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
campgottagopee wrote
ml242 wrote
raisingarizona wrote
So what you're basically saying is that you don't want mountains to advertise their best terrain so you elitist snobs can have it all to yourselves.
I don't think that's what he meant. I believe he meant times were different back then, it wasn't about who was the best of this, the baddest at that....it was about exploring, taking the time to get to know locals and if you were deemed worthy they would show you the goods.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It was definitely about exploring, you got skunked more often than you got fresh open turns. Following tracks and paying the price or just seeing what was out there cause maybe it went. Most people back then were not into powder, not into trees, it was a different time. I think it took a more adventurous spirit. There are still places where this is true, but a couple years after mountains started putting every upper and lower on the map to satisfy the trail count race tree trails became the next progression.

Mad River still doesn't do it at least, and I don't think it's about elitism.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote

those elitist snob bastards!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by ml242
I don't think that is true.  The stashes of 20 years ago are on map now.  Every mountain has places that are still secrets..and when they are found people will make new ones.   And I would not call them secrets it just people don't talk about them.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I wonder though, since yesterdays stashes are on the map today are they better managed and thinned? I remember finding local lines at New England ski areas and some were barely skiable.

A bunch of people on alpinezone seem to think the tighter the better and I don't get that at all. They must have very tiny skis and go very slow.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
raisingarizona wrote
A bunch of people on alpinezone seem to think the ......
hahahhahahahahahahahahahaha!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
A bunch of people on alpinezone seem to think the tighter the better and I don't get that at all. They must have very tiny skis and go very slow.
Did PowderAssassin hack your account?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I imagine a world where safety nets line everything.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
raisingarizona wrote
A bunch of people on alpinezone seem to think the ......
hahahhahahahahahahahahahaha!  
+1
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Stopped by the Ski Bowl on my way up to Clarkson yesterday.  Noticed some snowmaking pipe ready to be installed near the bottom of the Hudson Chair.  46er already had it's plumbing installed.  Where is the new stuff going?  There is a cutover from the top of the Village slopes to the 46er runout that could help to avoid skating, so maybe it's going there.  Doesn't look like enough for the Hudson trail.

Either way, I'm hoping for the Ski Bowl to be open early and often as it shortens my drive to Gore by about 10 minutes.  I have a pass, so I can park right next to the lift there.