classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
136 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Winter 2016/2017 Plans?

ml242
tjf1967 wrote
I don't think that is true.  The stashes of 20 years ago are on map now.  Every mountain has places that are still secrets..and when they are found people will make new ones.   And I would not call them secrets it just people don't talk about them.
I kinda think that the best glades are usually the ones that get made first in the obvious locations. After that it is usually shorter vert, longer walks to get there, or some other compromise.

There's no study I can point to, but back in the day I used to go to the mad river valley as a kid in summer. You could hear chainsaws at all three mountains as locals took care of their stashes. Now you hear nothing. Why would me or you hike a ski area to make a glade (except someplace like Magic or Plattekill) when the mountain would just add it to the map?

People don't do this stuff anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by snoloco
New pipe going in for Nordic trails.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by ml242
Ok if you say so.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The best maintained glades at Gore are (or were until two years ago) maintained by the men in black. MIB maintain some glades on the map and some that are off.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
I'm hoping for the Ski Bowl to be open early and often as it shortens my drive to Gore by about 10 minutes.  I have a pass, so I can park right next to the lift there.
I'm a bit stunned by this. I thought that redeveloping he Ski Bowl connect was the biggest mistake ever?  

Someone help me here with one of sno's quotes. This was the best I could find with a 15 second search:

snoloco wrote
It never opened in 2011-2012 when I tried. If a ski area can't open a trail pod an entire year, that trail pod shouldn't exist.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Just because I think an expansion shouldn't have been done doesn't mean I won't make use of it when it benefits me.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I'm a bit stunned by this. I thought that redeveloping he Ski Bowl connect was the biggest mistake ever?  

Someone help me here

Eazy peazy.

The Ski Bowl is virtually never open. Sno hopes it opens this year.

Extrapolated, it looks like this......

The Ski Bowl is virtually never open. Harv hopes it opens this year.

The Ski Bowl is virtually never open. Sue hopes it opens this year.

The Ski Bowl is virtually never open. Chris hopes it opens this year.

The Ski Bowl is virtually never open. Frank hopes it opens this year.

OR....

The Ski Bowl is virtually never open. ORDA Board LOL's

The Ski Bowl is virtually never open. Mike Pratt don't care. It's a pain in him ass.

The Ski Bowl is virtually never open. Front Street no care either, is in crapper.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
So, I think that building an out of the way trail section with minimal snowmaking on low elevation was a mistake.  However, it's already been built and that money can't be gotten back.  I'm going to bitch on here about how much of a waste it was, but that doesn't stop me from using it when it benefits me, which is for getting close parking and a shorter drive.  Considering access road traffic at closing, it will probably shorten my drive by 20-30 minutes on the way home on a busy day.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Me guess da edumacation at Clarkson School in't kicking in yet!!

Sno, while it may be tough to do, I think your current argument trumps any of your others for sheer stupidity.  You claim the expansion was foolish, yet by using it you prove exactly why they added it.  Obviously, it's useful.  Sure, one can always question ROI, but that's not always the only consideration.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
snoloco wrote
  I'm going to bitch on here  
Say it isn't so Sno
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Me guess da edumacation at Clarkson School in't kicking in yet!!

Sno, while it may be tough to do, I think your current argument trumps any of your others for sheer stupidity.  You claim the expansion was foolish, yet by using it you prove exactly why they added it.  Obviously, it's useful.  Sure, one can always question ROI, but that's not always the only consideration.
I'm talking about ROI.  From that standpoint, it fits my description as the "mother of all mistakes".  The vast majority of Gore customers come up from the south, and that means it's a shorter drive to go the the main base.  There are so few people who come from the north, and only for those people does the Ski Bowl shorten their drive.  Most of those people still probably don't use it.  The only people skiing the terrain otherwise are locals who actually know how to get there, and no one will be skiing it the majority of the time since it's never open.

Who would drive further to park at an out of the way lift, miles away from most of the mountain's terrain?  The reason Skyeship Base at Killington works is because it's about comparable drive time to using Ramshead, Snowshed, or K1 if coming from the west and much shorter if coming from the east, and many of their customers come from the east (those from Boston).  The lift is much faster and drops you at Skye Peak, from which you can go pretty much anywhere on the mountain.  Compare that to the top of the Ski Bowl, where one has to do two full runs and a lift ride to even get to the Main Base.  If any of you remember, Killington did at one point have a section that was similarly secluded to the way the Ski Bowl is.  That would be Northeast Passage which closed in 1999 because it took a long flat runout to get into and a 20 minute lift ride to get out.  It was pretty much never open either because there was very little snowmaking and it was the lowest elevation in the entire resort.  I'm not advocating for closing the Ski Bowl at all.  I want it, and Burnt Ridge to be invested in more, so they draw more customers and are worthwhile keeping open.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
The vast majority of Gore customers come up from the south, and that means it's a shorter drive to go the the main base.  There are so few people who come from the north, and only for those people does the Ski Bowl shorten their drive.
I call BS on this.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, I didn't want to bother arguing with the young'un who has got it all figured out!  Right now Sno, who we have to remember is still a high schooler, only sees things one way.  The education will kick in, his thought process will mature, and his viewpoints will expand.....we just have to give it time.  My daughter is a freshman in college.  She loves her creative economy class.  Their current focus is on expanding the way they view things, turning usual perceptions on their ear, and  approaching seemingly ordinary things from entirely different angles.  No matter who we are, or how old, it's all too easy to get locked into seeing things one way, but that isn't how the world always is.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
JTG4eva! wrote
Right now Sno, who we have to remember is still a high schooler.
No, I'm a freshman in college, just like your daughter.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yea, take that JTG4eva
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
snoloco wrote
No, I'm a freshman in college, just like your daughter.
Hmmm.....sorry about that.  Yeah, you kind of are a freshman in college, yet you aren't a high school graduate.  I guess I could have found a better way to categorize you.  Either way, my point stands.....like many teenagers/high schoolers your age your thought processes need to expand, because your thinking on some things (like the Ski Bowl), IMHO, is a little too narrowly focused.  

Despite what you may think, I didn't mean any of that as an insult!  I applaud your passion on things, and it will serve you well as you mature and hone those passions.  Also, my teenage high school aged son thinks he knows everything sometimes as well.  Even when it drives me nuts i love him to death!  So it's all good....
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote
The vast majority of Gore customers come up from the south, and that means it's a shorter drive to go the the main base.  There are so few people who come from the north, and only for those people does the Ski Bowl shorten their drive.
I call BS on this.
It's about 2 1/2 miles from the Ski Bowl to the front of the Gore parking lot. So BFD.

If I threw a party for the "few" who come from the north, I'd need a pretty big venue.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I believe that the Ski Bowl is closer (by road) to Albany than the Gore base.

I think we should throw that party, you know at the Ski Bowl, so as not to create an undue travel burden.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
like many teenagers/high schoolers your age
What difference does a wasted year (senior year) in high school make?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
What difference does a wasted year (senior year) in high school make?
No need to be in such a rush, there are no wasted experiences.