1 ... 6789101112 ... 22
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Winter Weather 2018 - 2019

Harvey
Administrator
Let's not be pulling the ripcord yet!

Last year right at this time we were getting abused and hadn't really had much pow.  This year we are ahead so far.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
not saying you should through in the towel ..but when the west gets locked in, it doesn't bode well for the east..

there was so much snow in LCC and BCC they never opened the ski areas...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

professor
Jason ...you are my weatherman from now on...pulled the trigger Saturday 2/2/19....drove to Utah...skied Brighton Monday and Solitude last two days ...60 inches since Saturday...heading to Cali on Saturday... oh and to all you Hunter haters last day I skied at Hunter was a great powder day ...last wednasday
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I'm headed into the cats and in the last 10 miles it just dropped from 2 degrees to - 12

And my low tire pressure sensor just went off.
Still showing low pressure and it is 35 degrees.  Guess I need air.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
sounds like you have a leak..still I hate those sensors...most of the time it's a false positive
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by professor
professor wrote
Jason ...you are my weatherman from now on...pulled the trigger Saturday 2/2/19....drove to Utah...skied Brighton Monday and Solitude last two days ...60 inches since Saturday...heading to Cali on Saturday... oh and to all you Hunter haters last day I skied at Hunter was a great powder day ...last wednasday
The snow this weekend in Tahoe  will be cold and dry. nice system moving in and it ain't sierra cement..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Yep prob a nail or screw.  The sensor did its job.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Let's not be pulling the ripcord yet!

Last year right at this time we were getting abused and hadn't really had much pow.  This year we are ahead so far.
I’m thinking next Wed is looking like a powder day.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Open Snow seems to agree.

On my tires... I just happened to hit a nail when the temp dropped from 2 to minus 12 in 10 minutes?  On brand new tires?

I admit that the first time I ever had experience with a sensor I didn't know what it was and I ignored it in a rental car and I did get a flat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I hope you're right, this weather kills a place like Magic, with little ability to recover via snowmaking.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Saratogahalfday wrote
I hope you're right, this weather kills a place like Magic, with little ability to recover via snowmaking.
How much of Magic's terrain has manmade on it now?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'll bet there's no leak. Those things are junk. Mine have been on for the past two months. I'm driving to Philly this weekend and the light will go off once the air in the tires gets hot and expands.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
How long does it take I mean it was 40° here yesterday. And it happened on Friday.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Have you driven on the highway for a good distance since it happened? Mine will go off by the time i hit Binghamton on rt 81.
If there is a leak it's most likely in the valve stem due to the TPMS sensor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I drove 275 miles on Sunday home from the Adk. It wasn't that cold that day.

I'll have Al look at it.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
That’s the problem with technology and people today, be it people following GPS directions (at the expense of common sense and good old sense of direction), or relying on a TPMS sensor (when there is a simple tool to do the job right or confirm a reading).  I’m sure I can come up with other examples.  But here is this....don’t blindly follow your GPS when common sense (or, you know, road signs) tells you to go in a different direction, and if you aren’t sure if your TPMS is giving you an accurate reading.......pull out a fricken tire pressure gauge!!!!

Ok, I’m done with my little rant.  You shouldn’t be having false low readings in the weather we’ve had this week.  If you don’t have a tire pressure gauge, buy one.  

My TPMS, on both our cars, has always been accurate.  No false readings.  The few times they’ve read low when there was extreme cold it was only because they were a little low (but not as low as the TPMS reading).

I’m hoping my wife feels up to letting me use the Tahoe tickets I have booked for this weekend, it’s going off again this weekend out there.  Of course she just spent six of the last ten days in the hospital and had two trips to the surgical suite earlier this week for a kidney issue, so I guess I should maybe leave it up to her, even though she’s doing fine and I HOPE I get my reward for sleeping on a lounge chair with her in the hospital  for five nights!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Should've gone off ---- toss some air in it
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Harvey, I had similar situation driving up to Gore as sensors came on as the Outback sensors show each tire pressure. Readings went to 28psi on each tire or so but not lower. I monitored each tire for further pressure drop on the way up but didn't want to pull over to put air in as I traveled with portable air compressor and it was too cold to want to deal with. Sensors stayed on for two of the tires even after driving in "warmer temps" until I put air in to the recommended values. They've been all good since then.
Reply | Threaded
|

AT83
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Harvey, about your tires.  I had a similar thing happen with new tires.  Check the pressures with an accurate pressure gauge.  I like the digital ones.  If the pressures are at recommended levels, it probably means the new sensors were not calibrated properly for your vehicle.  Even when I switch from summer tires to winter tires the sensores have to be recalibrated at an auto shop.  Just take the car back to where you purchased the tires and they should be able to fix it easily.  I'm running my winter tires with the tpms light on because it isn't worth the cost of having my winter tire sensors recalibrated.  In the spring when I switch back to my summer tires I'll probably have Pep Boys reset the tpms system since they charged  a lot less (15$ last time) than my dealer.  Also, after the tpms system is recalibrated you have to drive the car for a few miles before the warning light will go off.  Hope this helps. If you have a full size spare tire,  check the pressure in that too.  If you have one of those small spare tires I don't think it has a sensor.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Just put winter air in and you'll be good to go
1 ... 6789101112 ... 22