Worst season ever?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
93 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Worst season ever?

Ethan Snow
I've only been around for 18 winters, and I only remember about 12 of them. But It's definitely the worst I've experienced. 2012 wasn't too good either, but this is far worse. I Only had about 4 Weeks of ski season at Woodstream this year. I've lost so much snow at this point that I am not planning to do any more. Yesterday was some of the most extreme weather all season across the east coast with Tornadoes destroying buildings down in Florida, and thunder and lightning in Upstate NY. It's just pure craziness. The rain was pounding on my house with such great intensity that I can only imagine what it did to the snow. actually, I saw what it did to the snow. Its bad.

My father and I had a place reserved in Lake Placid next week.  I'm not sure how good Whiteface is going to be. I am seriously considering canceling, and heading up to Tremblant next week.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
this is epically bad and the worst thing is Utah is getting pounded and I didn't go there this year.
There is still time coach. Southwest flights out of ALB are around $300 RT. Powmow is $44 on Wednesdays:)

Utah was the best I've seen it in the past 4-5 years. It was basically what you hope for every year out there - not necessarily epic, but really good snow quality.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I think we're talking about a month ago with Utah. The snow tap has shut down pretty much all over the west since the beginning of February, and nothing much brewing in the near future.

But, it isn't raining.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Just not going to happen for me this year

My sons racing schedule with champs season goes thru mid to late March so I just don't have the time open to do it

This year is also my wife and I's 25 wedding annv. and we are going to Portugal for 2 weeks so my vacation time is low as well.

Things are looking really dire up here.  It poured all day yesterday with ice mixed last night.  It was about 50 and sunny this morning but its supposed to rain and then freeze again tonight.  From what I saw of Gore last weekend I would think the whole bottom is gone except for Twister which had plenty of snow for U19 Champs race this weekend.

At WF I'm beginning to wonder if we are going to make it to Easter which is a month from now.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Worst season ever, after yesterday I would say yes, even worse than the 79-80 season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
I think we're talking about a month ago with Utah. The snow tap has shut down pretty much all over the west since the beginning of February, and nothing much brewing in the near future. But, it isn't raining.
This ^^ is what friends in Utah are telling me as of yesterday afternoon.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
At WF I'm beginning to wonder if we are going to make it to Easter which is a month from now.
last easter at whiteface I was hoping for a nice spring day. woke up to 5-6 inches on the ground. of course I made the
best of it. what a difference a year makes
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
I must give kudos where it is deserved, The new management at Hunter has kept the place almost 100% open with very aggressive snowmaking and select grooming. They are blowing snow today February 26 in the teeth of another bad forecast for next week. I've been hitting it at least once a week and haven't had a bad day yet!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
That's Peak Resorts for you.  Operating Hunter this year is like operating their Missouri resorts in a normal year.  BTW, their Missouri resorts are still open too.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
I would say this is the worst season I can remember.  Definitely worse than 97-98.  Way worse than 2012.  Having just moved back from CO...I was really hoping for a good season, to ease the transition.  

That said, I have had some decent days out east...one of them being last weekend at Hunter...55 and sunny....delightfully surprised by the quality of skiing at that mountain.  Never had been before.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Adrider83 wrote
That said, I have had some decent days out east...one of them being last weekend at Hunter...55 and sunny....delightfully surprised by the quality of skiing at that mountain.  Never had been before.
It was a good day and it was crowed, the mountain rocks mid week..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Today from Highland Forest Park (one of the best X-C places in NY IMHO) just south of Syracuse:

Conditions
Base: 0" Running/standing water, bare spots, thin cover, and underlying icy patches throughout the entire trail system. Skiing is not recommended. Snowshoes are still beneficial along the hiking trails.

It's been this way all winter - wife and I usually X-C there 10-15 times per year.  This year...0.  Spring needs to come soon so we can get out on our road bikes!
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
Without getting political, is it about time to try and get some addressing to Climate Change, I know that there may not be a direct link , but the strength of this El Nino is unprecedented, like many weather patterns in the last twenty years, or do we simply pray for a volcanic eruption or Polar Vortex to save us now and then??
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by onscott
onscott wrote
Today from Highland Forest Park (one of the best X-C places in NY IMHO) just south of Syracuse:
I love Highland Forest, winter and summer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
Stop bitching and get out while you can. Any snow is better than no snow. It could be summer with bugs, sweat, and smelly garbage!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
Same day, 366 days apart. (leap year) or would that be 364?

At least gas prices were down. It takes about 10 gallons of gas to make this snow

It would have been nice to have used this thing, which I completely rebuilt, a little more this season.

Bottom line is those snow pictures still make me happy, and the comments from my neighbors  are unforgettable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
The fewest days I've skied in a long time. And not once did I get out in primo conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Should have gotten a shot of the dog raising it's leg and peeing on that pile of snow.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I really appreciate the pics, Ethan. I think what you're doing is really cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Thank you Ml242.