Worst season ever?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
93 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Worst season ever?

freeheeln
Seems like their was a season in the late'80's as bad as this. Actually what got me into lift serviced tele, no snow anywhere else.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Worst season ever?

TomCat
Possibly, we never get a break this year. For me the season a few years back when we had 80 degrees mid march was bad. I was planning on march skiing and it never happened.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This is certainly the worse I can remember.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Worse I can ever remember here in CNY. I stated in the conditions thread that I don't think we've gotten 2 feet of natural snow this year. The only good thing is I will maybe use  2 1/2 ton of pellets heating my house where last year I used 4 ton.
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
In reply to this post by TomCat
I read an interview with Steve Uzdavanais, current manager of McCauley Mtn in Old Forge.  He remarked that when he started working at McCauley in the 80's (pre-snowmaking), there was a "ski season" that consisted of 5 days.  

That's brutal but this season still sucks.  F%*#@!ing rain again here today...
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
The 79-80 season was very much like this one, Olympics in Placid that year. I think there were even less snow events that year but not as many rain events either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
At least in the last 20-25 years for sure!  It just sucks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
If the lady is singing, she needs to sing.  Move to hike/bike/run season.  Coldish is ok, its the ice-covered backroads suck, the mud trails suck, the constant washouts....I need to get outside!  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I agree ^^^^^ I have cabin fever BAD!!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Thankfully ,there is always Pinterest.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Yup, in the 30-ish years I've been paying attention, I'm gonna call it worst ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This is for ALB..You need to go back to 88/89 to find a worse season , snowfall wise...

http://www.weather.gov/media/aly/Climate/ALY_Seasonal_Snowfall_Totals.pdf
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Wtf is pintres?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
this is epically bad and the worst thing is Utah is getting pounded and I didn't go there this year.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
i think with the advances in snow making this is not the worst season. I remember one winter where it would warm
up to rain then get bighting cold afterward. true dust on crust. I thought it was 88-89 but looking at those  temps does not support this theory. either way I have played 4 rounds of golf this ski season. bottom line it sucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Z
We'll, if it's any consolation, Feb. in Colorado has basically sucked.

Hey, March is statistically the snowiest month.
funny like a clown
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Yup, in the 30-ish years I've been paying attention, I'm gonna call it worst ever.
from the guy who caught a 12 inch powder day. I would sell my soul for one of those right now
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
that two foot plus powder day back in Dec at Snow Ridge really was a day to remember.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
this is epically bad and the worst thing is Utah is getting pounded and I didn't go there this year.

I don't think they have been epically pounded but it's much better than it's been. The media keeps hyping up Tahoe but truthfully they probably aren't even at average.

It's dried up here in AZ and we thought this was going to be our year! Oh well, maybe if El Nino goes more north maybe during the next La Nina it will come south?

Global weirding I guess.

I remember the late 80's growing up in New Jersey as a skier, it was heart breaking. Then the 90's rolled in and it got really good or that's how I remember it.

When I was Sno's age I had a job working in a deli, a car, and I traveled every weekend with friends or by myself up to Vermont to ski every time it was dumping. There were many good storms and I enjoyed plenty of 1 to 2 foot days at places like MRG, Sugarbush, and Plattekill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
Adk Jeff wrote
from the guy who caught a 12 inch powder day. I would sell my soul for one of those right now
Well, I meant around here.  My Tremblant and Park City trips are the only thing that saved me from poking my eyes out with a rusty ski pole this winter.  The way things are looking for this weekend, I'm feeling like I'd rather clean out the garage than ski at Gore.  Actually what I'd really like to do is just head back up to Tremblant or La Reserve where - you guessed it - they're getting snow.