classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
93 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Worst season ever?

Benny Profane
ck1 wrote
 Desperate times call for desperate measures.

That's right.

Listen, put out your hands. In the left, Mt. Slow. A mountain you can barely move on if there's powder, and probably super crowded this weekend with zillions of gapers trying to kill each other on the ice. In the other hand, um, wait, too many choices. OK, this is the best. Alta Snowbird. I mean, duh.

Just remember, if you don't do this now, you have to wait at least eight months to ski again. Eight, long, hot months.

Your choice.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Mount Snow isn't going to be filled with gapers this late in this kind of year.  They're all done for the season.  500 dollars for lift tickets and a hotel to ski Mount Snow or 5,000 dollars to go out west last second.  Now which one you want.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
Danzilla wrote
I'm hoping the mountain forecast comes through for us.
Not me. I am hoping for a bust. Just got in a 20 mile road ride today, fourth ride of the season, all four rides in shorts and a short sleeve jersey. More fun on those four rides than I have had during my last four days of skiing. I'll still ski if it is good. But I am AOK with putting this season behind us and enjoying an early start to non-skiing outdoor activities.
That's where I've been for the past 3 weeks, My plan for this stretch of "bad" weather is to touch up the edges and put storage wax on the skis. Although Bennie has the right plan for all those wanted to get some more turns in.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Mount Snow isn't going to be filled with gapers this late in this kind of year.  They're all done for the season.  500 dollars for lift tickets and a hotel to ski Mount Snow or 5,000 dollars to go out west last second.  Now which one you want.

Let me put it this way. I wouldn't even bother with mt slow. Pretty much ever, but, that's just me.

Your father spends way too much on western trips if you think that's going to cost 5 grand. Tell him to buy a points card, to help.

You should see Breck right now. Full of Easterners who did just this. Unfortunately, they flew to Breck.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
snoloco wrote
Mount Snow is going to be filled with drunk hungover st paddy's day gapers this weekend skiing rock hard ice covered with an inch or two of manmade fluff
Fixed it for ya snow. If I was single and looking to relive my college Huntah days, I would ride a drunk bus to Mt Snow for the weekend. If you go up this weekend try and sneak in the back door to the snow barn and find a snow bunny to improve your mood.

Last weekend was my best two days of (EC) skiing this year. Pure joy ripping the summit at gore with a vest, long sleeve shirt and corn corn corn (and good peeps). I wish it was a mid April day but whatever. Last year we didn't really get any true "spring" days on the weekends. I hope its not set up rock hard groomers this weekend but I know it probably will be. Good time to demo those head rallys that are probably too much ski for me.

Have to agree with outlaw. I've spent two full seasons laid up and it sucked. That doesn't count all the days I missed before I realized I loved skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
5K? You crazy.

You are doing it way wrong then.

You can do a 3 or 4 day trip to SLC to ski LCC for WAY cheaper than that if you look around.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
My Steamboat trip was over that much, and we got our plane tickets mostly on miles and booked early.  If you're trying to book tickets last minute, you're going to be spending at least that much.

Like Hunter, Mount Snow has a very undeserved reputation.  It's not dangerously crowded with hour long lift lines like it used to be.  Maybe you'll wait 10 minutes for the bubble chair on a busy day which can be circumvented by taking one of the 19 other lifts that they have.  They have tons of terrain for all ability levels, including the steeps on the North Face which are pretty much unheard of elsewhere in Southern Vermont.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
snoloco wrote
Mount Snow isn't going to be filled with gapers this late in this kind of year.
You sure about that? The guy that runs this place indicated he was going.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It's poring rain up here in the Daks
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Good summary of how shitty it's been.  Sounds like Jay is about the only mountain doing OK:

Vermont ski areas start raising the white flag - Disappointing winter leads to resort closures and event cancellations
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Adk Jeff wrote
Sounds like Jay is about the only mountain doing OK:
50% less snowfall than average, OK I guess. I think "better than most" would be a better way to put it. They are at 166" right now which is less than Cannon's yearly average. Not a lot of places in the northeast where you could ski the trees this season, and Jay was one of them, so that was certainly a bonus. Not a great season by Jay standards but that means that the worst season at Jay equates to an average season at most other areas, interesting to consider.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
snoloco wrote
If you're trying to book tickets last minute, you're going to be spending at least that much.
Other than the fact that you are just plain wrong, you also have this habit of mixing apples and oranges.  Yeah, you spent $5k on a week at Steamboat, most of that being lodging, lifts and meals (because you used FF miles).  What the heck does that have to do with a last minute extended weekend out west?

Nothing!

Just last weekend I did exactly what Benny suggested.  With a couple days to ski I passed on the east coast slush and skied powder at Crystal Mountain, WA.  While I ultimately used FF miles to keep the cost down, I priced a zillion flights and, you know, actually took a trip last minute.  I skied 2 days, but I know the added cost if I had extended to three.

For a solo traveller going out Thursday night and coming back Sunday, skiing 3 days, paying for a last minute airline ticket to Seattle, an AWD SUV rental car, a cheap hotel on the fly in night, lodging at the base of Crystal Mountain for two nights, lift tickets, meals, booze, incidentals, and parking if you left a car at the airport in NY.......the max total cost, and this is if you eat nice, would be $1,900.  That's nice car, nice meals, nice hotel.  It could be done cheaper.  Enumclaw is 45 minutes down mountain, make the drive back and forth and eat cheap you can knock that down to $1,400.  A motivated person could get that down even further, but not everyone is willing or able to earn the turns, keep it dry, or sleep in a car!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Six Flags Great Adventure opened today.  Will only be skiing for a few more weeks, so I'll probably go there soon enough.  Not sure it's core though, if Killington still has a WROD on Superstar.