Ethan Snow
LOL, I think I did that myself a few times when nobody was looking
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Worst season ever?

outlaw 1
Not for me,that would of been last year,zero days,sitting on the sidelines watching is way worse,,had plenty of great days this year,,
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
outlaw 1 wrote
Not for me,that would of been last year,zero days,sitting on the sidelines watching is way worse,,had plenty of great days this year,,
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Mount Snow isn't done with their snowmaking yet.  Why not head up there this coming week if you want some good skiing?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Maybe I will. What about K? are they done for the season? I would like to do a Vermont trip once this year.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by outlaw 1
outlaw 1 wrote
You've been ripping
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
ck1
Reply | Threaded
|

ck1
I decided not to start a new post as my question is tied to this larger topic... So what do you all think is the best play this weekend for an NYC-based skier from a cost (drive time, ticket price) benefit standpoint, with an understanding that slushy patch skiing is about as good as it gets right now? I'll take my answer off the air. Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Go to Mount Snow.  They're likely the only place that has made fresh snow for the weekend.  It's about 4 hours from NYC.  A doable overnight weekend trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I don't think it will be slushy this weekend. Lows in the high teens; highs in the 30s. I'd look for the mountain that has the terrain open that you want to ski.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Delta from Newark to SLC.
funny like a clown
ck1
Reply | Threaded
|

ck1
In reply to this post by TomCat
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have been more specific. My thought was that given where we are right now, it's hard to be choosey about terrain. I guess I was leaning towards... Plattekill, Killington, Sugarbush (in order by level of commitment). I was just fetching for some additional data points.Tom, you are right about the temps. I must have read them wrong when I looked earlier in the week. It's hard to imagine a low of 16 right now. So bulletproof patch skiing it is.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Delta from Newark to SLC.
There's a little thing called money that most people don't have unlimited amounts of.  Last minute airline tickets ain't cheap.  We're going to assume that the person asking where to go isn't a 1%er, since 99% of the population isn't.  In that case, Mount Snow will have made snow and should be great.  Only reason I won't be there is because I'm skiing at a better mountain (Tremblant), but is not easy to get to from NYC.
ck1
Reply | Threaded
|

ck1
I blew my ski slush fund (haha) on last year's trip to the Sierras. Oh the painful irony! Anyway I do appreciate the think big attitude. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by snoloco
Maybe he has him some SkyMiles!

The Cascades have been hammered over the last week.

Love Plattekill, but if you are looking to ski for the weekend in the northeast you need to think bigger and further north.  

Killington, Sugarbush and Whiteface all have about 50 trails open, Mount Snow about 40.  Whiteface is rocking the highest % of terrain open of them all, and is where I'd be this weekend if I were making turns.  It's Apple Butter Moguls weekend, assuming it's on.  We'll be up there during the kids spring break next week.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
There's a little thing called money that most people don't have unlimited amounts of.  
Kind of like some of the Mtns who don't have the wall to wall snowmaking and super duper heated bubble lifts you require
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
in a final fit of irony, this weekend is going to be too cold to ski anywhere decent. So Mount Snow it is.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yes it does look like the cool kids will be at Mount Snow. I know I will.

How much is that flight to EWR to SLC?

I tried it on delta an got a price that had to be wrong.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Maybe he has him some SkyMiles!

The Cascades have been hammered over the last week.

Love Plattekill, but if you are looking to ski for the weekend in the northeast you need to think bigger and further north.  

Killington, Sugarbush and Whiteface all have about 50 trails open, Mount Snow about 40.  Whiteface is rocking the highest % of terrain open of them all, and is where I'd be this weekend if I were making turns.  It's Apple Butter Moguls weekend, assuming it's on.  We'll be up there during the kids spring break next week.
Mount Snow has renamed their trails recently.  They did away with uppers and lowers for the most part, so their trail count is pretty accurate with what you're actually skiing, much more so than other mountains.  Their percentage is about 45%, which is 270 acres.  That's almost the size of all of Whiteface, which claims 283.  Whiteface doesn't have that kind of acreage open.  Killington might have a bit more open, but they won't have made any snow, so boilerplate ice.  Mount Snow will have freshly resurfaced much of their terrain, so you'll be skiing on freshly made snow.  Can't go wrong with that.  Tons of great terrain on the North Face to keep you occupied as well.  Sunbrook Face is unfortunately closed for the season, but that still leaves a ton of terrain still open.  Plus, Peak Resorts could use any business they can get to stay afloat.  I'll be at Tremblant this weekend (which is getting a bit of natural snow before I arrive), I'd be at Mount Snow, no question.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by skimore
I'm hoping the mountain forecast comes through for us.

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Danzilla wrote
I'm hoping the mountain forecast comes through for us.
Not me. I am hoping for a bust. Just got in a 20 mile road ride today, fourth ride of the season, all four rides in shorts and a short sleeve jersey. More fun on those four rides than I have had during my last four days of skiing. I'll still ski if it is good. But I am AOK with putting this season behind us and enjoying an early start to non-skiing outdoor activities.