classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
700 messages Options
1 ... 27282930313233 ... 35
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

MikePom
I can never understand the value that they place on broadcasting expansive terrain being open, only to keep everything shut down.  

I've learned to live with it and not let it bother me, but you would think that by now, whatever the disconnect is between marketing and operations it would have been resolved a long time ago.  No such luck.  

On a brighter note, if the forecast holds they could pick some fresh snow, possibly a foot!  Nice.....

Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
sig, that's a bit rough on the employees,,,why didn't you poach...if you look at it another way, maybe it's better that the masses don't go in and scrape it to the rocksKept you out
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
sudsnbumps wrote
sig, that's a bit rough on the employees,,,why didn't you poach...if you look at it another way, maybe it's better that the masses don't go in and scrape it to the rocksKept you out
too funny. yes it did. i can't imagine it was any good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
sig wrote
sudsnbumps wrote
too funny. yes it did. i can't imagine it was any good.
Dude, really??? Thanks for being a whiny Snochoad, as the glades on the Darkside were all open yesterday and they skied great
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by MikePom
MikePom wrote
I can never understand the value that they place on broadcasting expansive terrain being open, only to keep everything shut down.
I always assume that Gore has a legit reason for not opening or closing any particular glade. For instance, yesterday I saw only one patroller. One patroller simply can't cover them all.

It's quite a different issue for the website to continue to list glades as open that are currently closed or did not open at all. The wife encountered a really pissed-off skier yesterday who came up to ski all those "open" glades. I totally get why he was so angry.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Dude, really??? Thanks for being a whiny Snochoad, as the glades on the Darkside were all open yesterday and they skied great

my comments may be a little harsh but what kind of effort went into the snow report? did they confer with ski patrol about conditions for the next day or did they just copy and paste yesterdays snow report? i love gore and realize being state run is the best thing for it. i am more frustrated with the thaw freeze than anything else. all good things must come to an end. spring skiing here we come.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
How is Gore looking today?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

GoreMountainLodge
Pretty amazing on the groomers today.  GS turns all the way.   The snowcats did a good job of churning the 2" of yesterday's  snow into the slopes.  Get it while it lasts!
Mark Parobeck, principal
GoreMountainLodge.com
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I often wear a hat, I picked it up in London, felt, warm, casual, great in the snow.  Its a special hat.  Today, I'm taking that hat off to the folks at Gore that take care of that mountain.  Sometimes they are able to rise above adversity and, in spite of everything that mother nature throws at them, are able to provide exceptional skiing.

We skied Whiteface Saturday.  It was unimpressive.  Despite what we anticipated in terms of snow, the mountain was hard in all terms.  First run we dropped off the headwall of Skyward and it was what I would describe as extremely technical.  Below on Lower was fresh snow, but what a price to pay to get to it.  I saw a poor woman take a small child under her legs and go over the high side mashing her shoulder into the ice......the look in her face as she winced in pain was hurtful.

Today, we skied Gore.  Maybe I am jaded, but I have to say that all things considered, it was amazing.  Cold at the summit and windy but it skied good.  After summiting we headed down to Burnt Ridge.  Sagamore skied great especially on the edge.  Echo was firm and fast.  But compared with Whiteface, Gore was great.

There is a lot of snow on the mountain and I know there is rain coming, but I have a sensation that there is going to be some great spring skiing this year.

PaoloPaolo on The Rumor
Paolo catching air on The Rumor in April 2013
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
MikePom wrote
...But compared with Whiteface, Gore was great.
In defense of Whiteface, Gore was also that bad on Saturday. Some time and grooming made things a lot more fun on Sunday. That being said, I'm ready for some sunshine and Spring corn.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
I gambled and skied gore on saturday. Stopped at about 12:45 as fog just wouldn't quit. And snow wasnt great either. Wasn't going to take a chance on sunday. Bad weather and marginal conditions are always a recipe for injury. You know, sometimes i really dont want to know that it was powder with blue bird conditions a few hours north or west .
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I have this exceptionally bad habit of watching the weather forecast.  It started this year about 55 days before ski season opened and I am obsessed with it every day.  If I am in the office, my large monitor is the Northeast composite radar.

Anyone who watches the forecast knows its a bit like playing the lottery.  Sometimes you win big, but most of the time you loose, or break even at best.  Now take the forecast that I've been tracking all week, started out of nowhere with a "Heavy Snow Conditions Possible" alert, which then was downgraded to 1"-3", then bumped to 5"-8", and now its back to 8"-12" again.  

Today is Tuesday, soon to be Wednesday and the POW is scheduled to start 1:00 AM on Friday, which puts us a little over 50 hours out on the forecast.  

Maybe, just maybe, we all might win big this week?  What a way to bring in April!

Gore Forecast March31, 2017
The just maybe win big forecast, courtesy of Weather Underground
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
MikePom wrote
I have this exceptionally bad habit of watching the weather forecast.  It started this year about 55 days before ski season opened and I am obsessed with it every day.  If I am in the office, my large monitor is the Northeast composite radar.

Anyone who watches the forecast knows its a bit like playing the lottery.  Sometimes you win big, but most of the time you loose, or break even at best.  Now take the forecast that I've been tracking all week, started out of nowhere with a "Heavy Snow Conditions Possible" alert, which then was downgraded to 1"-3", then bumped to 5"-8", and now its back to 8"-12" again.  

Today is Tuesday, soon to be Wednesday and the POW is scheduled to start 1:00 AM on Friday, which puts us a little over 50 hours out on the forecast.  

Maybe, just maybe, we all might win big this week?  What a way to bring in April!

Gore Forecast March31, 2017
The just maybe win big forecast, courtesy of Weather Underground
I'm going out west leaving this afternoon = Guaranteed big dump somewhere on the east coast...probably Gore this time

Happens every time I book a trip out west, no matter the time of year, and no matter where I go. I just hope the reverse of what normally happens when I go out west happens and they get snow out there as well as here. Normally I leave and the East gets dumped on and the West is in a snow drought, even when I try and chase the snow and book trips last minute..I can never seem to hit during a big dump out there or pick the wrong place to go at the time even after watching forecasts and following the weather.

Enjoy the snow in my absence. This should help further the snow pack to keep us skiing to Easter with little doubt at Gore provided they get whats forecast.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
I am heading north Thursday night and skiing Gore Fri/Sat looks really good thinking 6+ ATM.
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
Yesterday I went to the summit as soon as the rope dropped and found great corn snow on everything I skied. Today it wasn't quite as warm so I headed to Burndt Ridge and  hit it right again. I love spring skiing, but it's so bitter sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Is there any snow in the woods at Gore now? Thinking about heading up Saturday if the trees would be skiable after the storm.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
We skied last Sunday and there was still substantial snow on the mountain.  Though the glades all had their ropes pulled, the reason why was obvious, everything was just set up and frozen solid.

With the forecast amped up to 12" plus on Friday, there is no doubt there will be some sweet conditions in the woods this weekend.

BRQ Snow Cover
View from the BRQ last Sunday, lots of snow in the woods waiting for the storm.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Thanks for the info. Have never been there on a powder day (or a pasty-snow-that's-hopefully-somewhat-close-to-powder day). Hope to get up there Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by Kleetus
<quote author="Kleetus">
MikePom wrote
I'm going out west leaving this afternoon = Guaranteed big dump somewhere on the east coast...probably Gore this time

Happens every time I book a trip out west, no matter the time of year, and no matter where I go. I just hope the reverse of what normally happens when I go out west happens and they get snow out there as well as here. Normally I leave and the East gets dumped on and the West is in a snow drought, even when I try and chase the snow and book trips last minute..I can never seem to hit during a big dump out there or pick the wrong place to go at the time even after watching forecasts and following the weather.
Isn't that the truth?!!  The west ski areas always show pics of epic powder days but damn they are hard to find.  In my 10+ years of western ski trips I've found that Utah (SLC/Ogden esp. PowMow) offers the highest odds of a powder day. Also have found that northern NM (Taos, Santa Fe) always has full coverage so if there is no powder at least you get great skiing and sunshine every day (plus the great food at the local restaurants).  These two locales are also relatively inexpensive for both skiing and lodging.

Hope you hit it big on your trip!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Guys - thank you all for the work and comments on the blog (even the sometimes-unending snark).  I should have been paying attention, but only saw the greatness hitting gore because of this blog.  I'll be there this weekend!  My wife is out, but if my son wants to go, I'll have a driving companion (albeit a 6 year old one).  I hope everyone gets some snow.  
1 ... 27282930313233 ... 35