700 messages Options
1 ... 26272829303132 ... 35
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Adrider83
This post was updated on .
incredibly deep.  There was actually decent base in most places on the right aspects up top.  Def some spots with branches, stumps, etc., lurking down low, but overall soooo good.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Kleetus wrote
How were the woods? Sure it was deep but curious how coverage was given there was little base left in there before this storm. Good thing is ground is frozen at least.
Kleetus,

Three weeks ago, Gore had the best April conditions ever.  Unfortunately it was February; then the rain, deep freeze, a little snow, rain, deep freeze.  Got the picture?  No way we make past St. Paddy's Day Weekend.  Until yesterday.  We now be good Main Mountain through Tax-Day for sure and the glades through April's Fool's Day.

Are you in?

Ski You On The Hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by GoreMountainLodge
Gore posted 22.  This pulls us past totals for 09-10 and 14-15.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by 64ER
Oh I know we're good for a while main mountain and glades too for a couple weekends barring another epic meltdown. Just was curious how many stumps and stuff was lurking underneath as there wasn't much base under the new snow to cover it.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Adrider83
Adrider83 wrote
Gore was unbelievable today. Deepest day I've probably ever had there...and that's a long time.
Yep. It was so good both Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday afternoon before they shut the lifts down was phenomenal - tracks filling in on every run, nobody there, snow just piling up.

Trees were great yesterday. Upper mountain glades were just about the best conditions possible. Very little poking through. Lower mountain glades and Burnt Ridge might have had a little less base, but I hit them early and they skied fine for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
All glades in play. The boy and I were in the trees all day. With the fresh snow, every once in a while you'd "feel" something underneath as you went over it, but that was it. As they get skied over next few days it'll all become obvious where the obstacles are, but it shouldn't stop most all of the glades from remaining open.

I'd expect "single barrel" (don't know what anybody else calls the twin to double barrel) to have the rope back up this weekend. Kill Kare listed as closed--we didn't ski it but other folks did. Probably ok, but I think rope will stay up on that one too. Pinebrook--which is a fantastic glade--good coverage, rope will stay up--just too much blowdown in there that needs some removal.

With the wind holds to start the day Wednesday, we took 3 runs down Twister glades and were probably 3rd and 4th tracks down. No brag there....just that there was so much snow and not enough pitch we were struggling to move in some spots....until it got tracked up more by runs 2 and 3. That's a lot of snow. Definitely a ton blown into the woods. All is good right now!

Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Yesterday was obviously great. Skiied things I thought I wouldn't get to until next season.

Today was wind blown ungroomed up top. Challenging but fun. Anything groomed skiied like the best soft packed powder you could think of. If Lies or Rumor get groomed tonight, they will be a lot of fun tomorrow. Some woods were good, Boreas was good halfway and then got wicked boney. Not sure about the rest of the Burnt Ridge glades.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
has the ski bowl been tracked out?  Would you hit that up first on saturday?
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
Today was another great day. Nice soft packed powder on the groomers. Everything got bumped up by late in the day as expected. A few scratchy spots between the bumps on ungroomed stuff.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Holy shit it's deep up here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Relaying ski report via second hand source (my uncle) for Saturday. Rumor and Lies had great bumps through about noon, then they turned into maneaters with boilerplate in-between. Topridge had decent although widely spaced bumps. Showcase was great at the end of the day (2pm ish).

I was at WF today (which rocked) but heading to Gore tomorrow to verify (or deny) my uncles report. He doesn't ski glades, which is prob where I'll be a good chunk of the day if coverage is good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So tired from today, just woke up...

Ran into Duck in the yurt which is always a good thing.  Ski Bowl rocked of course.

5 days later

Major equipment meltdown early afternoon in Tahawas trees, had to posthole out. Downloading the AE2 was actually really cool. Snoloco would have been proud of me, reveling in the awesomeness of the quad.

First time since Jan at that other very big ski area, freaked me out, but Suds bought me an amber to calm me down.

Shaman hooked me up with an NTN setup and I spent the rest of the afternoon in the bowl learning something new.

PS: Fifty bucks to anyone who finds my blue nyskiblog.com ski in Tawahas Trees and brings it out. I was on the steepest part of the pitch when it was separated from the binding, it followed the fall line going into some untracked on skiers right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Whoever asked about Packed Powder - 99% of Gore today.  Hit the 46er early, then Moxam, back to 46, and then 5 runs on Sagamore.  Tawahus to Lunch break to the top - Rumor a couple times with huge bumps and challenging entrance, a couple of fantastic Lies, and a Chati or 2.

End of day on Topridge.  Wow.   Four trails were so different (Chati, TopR, Rumor, Lies).  Run of the day?  46?  That headwall is spectacular when groomed.  Lies?  Sags?   All three, all all?

No way anywhere in the beat today the big picture (no crowds, what racers?)  Ok maybe WF.  Great job Gore, today was a 10!.  

Did I mention all the packed powder?
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
In reply to this post by Harvey
Yesterday was great, fresh lines day 5.  It's always good to hook up with you in the morning, too bad about the lost ski. I guess you couldn't sleep (with the post at 2:15 am). Sorry we didn't hook up today, everything skied great, 46er was groomed and great to rip.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
how will tomorrow be? how warm did it get today? will it still be packed powder or did the sun soften it up?
thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Both.  Not slushy.  Just  a bit sticky in maybe less than 5 percent of bottom, if that.  Maybe 40 today but didn't feel like the grabby Spring snow we have had in the past.  Tomorrow should be fine.  Groomers will be excellent.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i guessing i'm wonder if the snow consistency in the woods has changed? will it still be packed powder in glades or do we have a melt freeze thing going on?
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Awesome day today at Gore. Lies was spectacular. Rumor was good but ice showing between the dumpster sized bumps. Hawkeye and Chatti great. Dark side glades awesome. Barkeater and Boreas Skied well but starting to get bony in spots. Boreas especially had to be careful for rocks poking out on any sections with a southern exposure.

Great way to end a pretty epic weekend of skiing between yesterday at WF and Gore today.

I looked around for Harvey's runaway ski in Tahawas but unfortunately another search party will need to be dispatched.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Freeze melt happened on Saturday/Saturday night on woods below tawahus. Everything from there on up seemed to stay fairly fluffy. Great weekend. Beautiful sunny weather and my six year old skied Rumor for the first time. Granted it was from the goat path but I think that was harder this weekend than skiing it from the top.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
the glades are closed until warmer weather. even though the trail report said a good amount of them were open today. i have come to expect this BS from gore. in my opinion they are clueless lazy state workers with 0 social media skills.  i didn't poach any glades, it was firm all morning, doubt they are any good. after lunch lies and sagamore softened and skied well.
1 ... 26272829303132 ... 35