700 messages Options
1 ... 29303132333435
sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

sig
yes all was in play today. stayed up top lapping dbl barrel, love that trail. straight brook glades were real nice.
i second dom's comments. went up by myself and found people to ski runs with all day. wish i had skied sat. talked myself right out of it with the sleet mixed in. my mistake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
This post was updated on .
Cornhead and I skied Gore on Sun. 4/2/17. Great spring conditions.

A few pics:

Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
Do you think Gore can make it past Easter?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
If they don't make it past Easter, it won't be for lack of snow, even with the rain thats forecast.  

What happened to days of old, when spring skiing meant uploading, buds breaking open at the bottom of the mountain and runs down bumps of corn patched together with lean stretches of mud and corn in between, beer and barbecue lunches, champagne toasts to a great season, sun burn on snow beach, boots filled with melted slush being poured out at the end of an amazing day of skiing in the sun.

Is it just bad timing, or is there something else going on that's robbing us of one of skiings finest pleasures.

I'm convinced the global warming meltdown that seems to be happening season after season in the dead of winter is sucking the life out of our ski season.

Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Big D
Big D - great stuff.  Would you mind emailing me the second picture?  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Another good day today. Weather looks iffy the rest of the week. Won't see the mountain like this again anytime soon:

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by MikePom
MikePom wrote
If they don't make it past Easter, it won't be for lack of snow, even with the rain thats forecast.  

What happened to days of old, when spring skiing meant uploading, buds breaking open at the bottom of the mountain and runs down bumps of corn patched together with lean stretches of mud and corn in between, beer and barbecue lunches, champagne toasts to a great season, sun burn on snow beach, boots filled with melted slush being poured out at the end of an amazing day of skiing in the sun.

Is it just bad timing, or is there something else going on that's robbing us of one of skiings finest pleasures.

I'm convinced the global warming meltdown that seems to be happening season after season in the dead of winter is sucking the life out of our ski season.
Sounds fun for sure Mike. When self driving cars become common place, mtn drinking may return. Until then,,, one and done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by DomB
Big D, great photos. Especially that one of Lies and Rumor. Does anyone know how that big snow ledge on skiers right of Rumor manages to form every year? I accidentally hucked it on Saturday, and I did manage to ride it out, but it was big. Looks like Sunday was a great day. I really can't believe how well Gore is skiing in April considering they closed before April last season.

Here are some pictures from Saturday which was also an epic day. I skied Upper Darby for the first time as well as several glades and lift-lines I had never been in before. I really got a perspective of Gore that hadn't had previously. The snow in the woods was so good, that I really didn't spend much time at all on the main trails. We spent most of our time on natural trails and glades. When it comes to glades, Gore delivers well beyond anywhere else in NY.

And I'm sure someone will want to flame me for this but lunch was quite good too.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
If you are talking about 1/3 Dow. On skier s  right, I was told it is a large boulder ....
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
 Does anyone know how that big snow ledge on skiers right of Rumor manages to form every year?  
From portable snow guns set up top and left blowin for days.

I think you'll find this tale interesting Ethan...... 12 or so years ago that ledge got really, really BIG prior to Rumor opening. Then a large crevice developed along it's top. It sat like that way for a week or so. I " think " they may have tried dynamite, not sure. No avail. Well, it finally came down on it's own. Huge solid chunks made it all the way down to Rumor's flats. Several were the size of very large living rooms and quite tall,,, 10 FT ?

Can you imagine those huge blocks coming down Rumor ? They must have been very packed, solid snow to survive intact down the Rumor. That means they were also very heavy. It was a real " Wholly Chit !!! " moment to see them sitting there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
In reply to this post by DomB
DomB wrote
Big D - great stuff.  Would you mind emailing me the second picture?  
Just - Right Click on the photo with your mouse and choose - "Save image as..." then save the pic on your computer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
left blowin for days.

I think you'll find this tale interesting Ethan...... 12 or so years ago that ledge got really, really BIG prior to Rumor opening. Then a large crevice developed along it's top. It sat like that way for a week or so. I " think " they may have tried dynamite, not sure. No avail. Well, it finally came down on it's own. Huge solid chunks made it all the way down to Rumor's flats. Several were the size of very large living rooms and quite tall,,, 10 FT ?

Can you imagine those huge blocks coming down Rumor ? They must have been very packed, solid snow to survive intact down the Rumor. That means they were also very heavy. It was a real " Wholly Chit !!! " moment to see them sitting there.
Crazy! Very believable though. If it's just a big boulder, I would personally just leave it exposed. The trail is very wide there, and a big boulder I don't think would ruin the trail. The snow lege is cool though. Like I said earlier, We poached the top of Rumor, and I was hugging skiers right when it came up on me. I think there was one Lolly there, but it was covered in ice and blended in. I was moving pretty good and figured it just drop it sonce the snow was so soft. The initial landing had tons of fresh snow in it, but the bumps below it were a little rough.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Does anyone know how bad a beating Gore is taking with the rain this week?
Reply | Threaded
|

AT83
 A+ spring bump skiing on Chatiemac, Lies, and Rumor.  Good coverage on these trails top to bottom.  Chatiemac had a few rocks that were easily avoided.  Hullabaloo was okay except for the drop in the middle.  Stay skiers left.  Right side looked like a plowed field.  Twister good.  Showcase looked good from the gondi and someone said it had good coverage.  Saddle area down to the gondi not so good but from there down Sunway etc. was okay.  Basically the bump skiing was great and it wasn't any problem getting back down to the lodge.  But, more rain on the way.  
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Upper mountain may actually get some snow along with this rain:

Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
Thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
Oops - meant to say Saturday, Gore or Whiteface?  Thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
More snow in the WF forecast, the further north and up you go the better.  I'd head to WF.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Capdistski
Capdistski wrote
Oops - meant to say Saturday, Gore or Whiteface?  Thoughts?
I just got off the phone with someone at Gore and was told that straightbrook and topridge were expected to remain closed this weekend due to the recent weather. This doesn't make sense as they are still planning to open burnt ridge and darkside. In any case, that's what I was told.

I was planning to make my last trip of the season, but now not so sure.

tom
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
how can they close straightbrook? it had tons of good coverage last weekend. there's nothing left on the bottom.
thanks for pointing that out.
1 ... 29303132333435