classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
700 messages Options
1 ... 2829303132333435
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

baitman5238
View from The Summit (condo across the street from Sagamore trail):  Mountain in a snowcloud, 2" down here, been snowing all day - sticky but not heavy stuff.  No end in sight :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Just got back from a full day. It did not start snowing until about 6AM so not much at first, maybe an inch. Continued all day but not real heavy. Upslope wind aspects were getting more. A few good runs on lies but the lower mountain was skiing better - more terrain and less traffic. Stuff that was not opened had a frozen subsurface but towards the end of the day when there was 3 or 4 on top was nice. Several times I went down through cutoff and hit poor little ignored Jamboree where there was usually plenty of untracked. The snow itself was creamy and light and should groom in nicely tonight. Tomorrow, if another 10 falls will be very nice. I suspect about 1/3 to half of that will be groomed in though. This may allow for some glades tomorrow - just not enough down for it today, although I am sure others might disagree. Possibly another storm on Tuesday.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
if they are getting snow now they are crushing it...I have no idea its heavy sleet in lake george
Reply | Threaded
|

baitman5238
mixed precip at the base now
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Just got into heads in beds.  North Creek seems like 4 inches of heavy snow.  Driving up past Saratoga around 1130 it turned to snow.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Skied all day yesterday, wasn't quite the snow event I anticipated.  Snow, at times mixed with frozen ice, back to snow, wind kicked up on Saddle and Summit but for sure as the day progressed it was getting mighty fine and despite being soaked and ice coated to the point of beginning to feel like a popsicle, we really had some great runs.  The wind on Twister late in the day was filling tracks skiers left after every run.  We closed out the day on Sunway which skied beautifully.

1A had some beautiful snow building in it, again on skiers left, and then we poached 2B which was sitting all day roped off accumulating and it was velvet.

One thing I'm convinced of, the woods, at least on the lower mountain are cooked for the season.  We jumped the rope into Twister Glade just to give it a whirl, and it was rotten.  Even with what had fallen, plus the additional 4-6 that probably came down over night, there is no saving it.  My son's hit Otterslide Glade and reported the same.

So the 18" prediction never really materialized, I would say at best 8-10 by the time its all over.  But if you're not reading this while driving to the mountain, you better pack up and hit the road because this is going to be the best "Winter" weekend of skiing left this season.  

Milana hammering the Pow
Milana Hammering the Powder on Headwaters
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Sorry tried to post a pic of chatty and posted my grin-filled mug instead.  Gore skiing awesome now.  Not used to powdery bumps (u just ski thru instead of treating them like bumps but u guys know that- I just learned the hard way).  

No line s anywhere.  I was mainly lapping Hawkeye and chatty.  When u come down chatty u see how crowded uncas looks (but didn't feel that way because of folks knowing how to ski).  

Generally uncrowded.  Shortly I am going to the sagamore area which I am told is empty.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Also powder light up top and a bit manky but fun from saddle lodge down.  I fell on 2b because I didn't appreciate what I would call the stickiness and consistency of the snow there.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
IMG_20170401_094442.jpg

Ok this is from below gondi at 945.  Having trouble loading pics.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
I ll stop now.  I think the last pic may have been uncas
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
2nd day at Gore, Conditions in NC were glob and not a lot of snow but up high, very nice. The North was being left alone so a lot of nice untracked, ropes still up but plenty of snow. Another great day, thought I was done a week ago.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Boreas was great as was Tahaus glades, even skied upper darby...Rumor was insane was one of the first ones on it.  Great april fools power day, im exhausted.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Hope you all left some for us . . . will be there tomorrow.  Anyone pond skimming?

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
NorEaster27 wrote
Boreas was great as was Tahaus glades, even skied upper darby...Rumor was insane was one of the first ones on it.  Great april fools power day, im exhausted.
Not that I'll ever ski it but Rumor was closed every time I went by yesterday...

Agree about Burnt Ridge.  Sagamore and Echo skied great with plenty of fresh snow in the morning.

Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Rumor was open from the cut from chatty
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Conditions were really nice this morning.  Snow started to get sticky in the sun around 11:30.  My two younger girls skied Lies for the first time!  

A ton of folks on Rumor today.

Left before the pond skimming contest.  Pushing all that soft snow around wore us out.  I think we are done for the season.  This year was a resounding success.

Take advantage of the cover while it lasts!
Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Yesterday and today were awesome.  

I skied Lies and Rumor for the first time today - really great trails.  I did three runs on Lies and two on rumor, and then my relative lack of fitness betrayed me and I throttled it down.  No falls on Lies.  One fall after a binding release on Rumor but I didn't go too far.

I can't compare them to any other times, but the conditions were super sweet.  Lies was groomed and the snow was very forgiving.  Rumor's snow was relatively forgiving, but there were large, fun, challenging bumps.  On skier's left, there were no bumps on the headwall for two or three turns.  I'll post some pics from this weekend.  It was funny going to hawkeye straight from rumor - hawkeye felt like a blue : )

You folks that call Gore your home mountain have a special place.  I really love the mountain and the people there.  Can't say enough about the vibe.  64'er great to see you.  I think I am done for the season, but I look forward to seeing you next year.  

I also have to say thanks to Joe C., one of the instructors at Gore, who got me out on LIes and Rumor.  He is a really talented skier who can teach and get a lot out of his students.

Bottom was getting very slow (no shock there).  
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by DomB
Looking at it with the benefit of a computer screen, I think that pic is Hawkeye, not that it matters.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by DomB
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 2829303132333435