snoloco
He's banned now
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Killington Conditions

riverc0il
I can only imagine how crowded it was given that K is the only game in town right now. BW did open for a late afternoon today with one beginner trail, wasn't really enticing even for a free ticket. SR usually opens at the same time as K and perhaps a few other areas firing up a WROD by now. Instead, we have only K open with very limited terrain, so high demand and low supply. Standing on snow to watch the WC might be the most fun I have on snow this month the way we are going.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Nice to get out yesterday, especially after lunch, the place cleared out and we were able to ski right onto the chair.  Hopefully by next weekend will be able to ski to the bottom, as there is evidence of snow being blown on Snowden.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Good day today. Warm temps, sugary snow with some hardpack, saw some people I knew, good times.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That looks like good coverage. Any thin/rocky spots?
I'm filled with jealousy by the way
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Nice!

Probably was pretty nice on a Monday

What was the snow like?  Was it cold enough for them to blow on SS?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Thin on far skiers left on Rime. Otherwise good.

No snowmaking today. Too warm. 57 degrees at my car when I left, not supposed to drop down too low tonight. Might be a tough couple of days, then hopefully they can crank up again later in the week. Superstar had a good amount of snow on it, much better than when I was up Friday, and enough for them to run groomers on it to push some stuff around.

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I'm getting a little concerned about the WC.  They have to pass FIS snow control one week in advance of the race so this Saturday it has to look like it's a go or they will pull the plug.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I've been thinking the same thing Coach. The forecast this week is warm. Would be a serious bummer but not terribly surprising. Big gamble this early.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Brownski wrote
Thin on far skiers left on Rime. Otherwise good.

No snowmaking today. Too warm. 57 degrees at my car when I left, not supposed to drop down too low tonight. Might be a tough couple of days, then hopefully they can crank up again later in the week. Superstar had a good amount of snow on it, much better than when I was up Friday, and enough for them to run groomers on it to push some stuff around.
good info
thanks
hopefully I can get up there soon, now that soccer is almost done
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
https://www.facebook.com/killingtonresort/videos/10154257424974401/

This looks encouraging lots of snow.  It has to be firm enough that the FIS technical delegate thinks that they can race on it.  The inspection is one week ahead of the race.  Not sure if they can ice inject this week.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
http://www.skiracing.com/stories/killington-optimistic-thanks-to-extensive-snowmaking

Snow control is tommorrow

Keep your fingers crossed.  They canceled the Lake Louise Men's DH

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
It's on.
http://www.killington.com/company/media/pressrelease.html?pressrelease=pressrelease50

The article says that Skyelark will be covered as a training run for WC competitors, and public terrain will be expanded into Snowdon.  They also plan to add a connection to Ramshead base, so I assume anyone skiing either day will need to park over there.

Looks like the Superstar Lift will remain closed until the event is over, so I guess I'll be buying Z lunch at Whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I just finished skiing, and noticed that they were grooming Superstar. They also began setting up the finish area.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Should they open access to Ramshead, I'm wondering if they'll keep the K1 open during the race, or close off the entire base area because of all the pedestrian traffic down there.  Skiers would still be able to access all open terrain by going up through Snowdon from Ramshead, and lodge services would still be available at Ramshead.  I don't think there will be too many people skiing either day that aren't interested in the race, so sending everyone up from Ramshead shouldn't be an issue.

If Snowshed opens, it will be isolated because you can't get to KBL without going through the finish area.  The ski-through tunnel to Ramshead isn't ski-through until later, so you'd have to walk between them.
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
Which is the best bet I want to take my girls next Thursday/Friday

WF or Killington?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
northerncajun wrote
Which is the best bet I want to take my girls next Thursday/Friday

WF or Killington?
I'd say Killington has the better chance of having good conditions, but it will be crowded as hell. But you will be able to catch the setup for the World Cup, which is cool.

If it were me, I'd avoid that shitshow and go to WF.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
FIS today canceled Beaver Creek with storms snow and cold weather coming and 2 weeks to the race.  With LL also cancelled there seems to be a push to not have the Euro teams not have to fly over across the Atlantic.  Given the Euro centric nature of the FIS I would be very worried if I was Killington.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The FIS has already decided that Killington was a go.

The Beaver Creek and Lake Louise events were both downhill, which requires much more snow than slalom or GS, which is what Killington will be hosting.

Colorado has been very warm and dry so far.  Steamboat only started making snow last week.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Lake Louise men's was cancelled.  The ladies' DH is still a go for the weekend of 2 December.  The podium is wide open without Lindsey there.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
1 ... 891011121314 ... 26