1194 messages Options
1 ... 37383940414243 ... 60
sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Golf Thread

sig
i play shenendoah and kaluhyat every year. enjoy them both and don't mind blowing the cash. the hole changes on shenendoah took something away from the course. kaluhyat is a real ass kicker. I'm yet to post a decent score on that course.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Sunday it seemed I couldn't hit the ball in the ocean.

Tonight driving to the course I heard a bit on Sirius golf about grip being the place to start when things are not happening and decided to make my right hand grip a bit stronger.  I was crushing it. Hit 16 greens in regulation including driving the green on a short par 4. Shot a 72 on the LP links and my putting was mediocre at best.  3 putted one of the par 3s, 16 2 putts, and a one putt bird on 18 from about 12 feet.  I need to work on my putting now that the greens are getting decent.

It was a perfect night for golf.  Those that took the LP Mt course deal are missing out the awesome Links course.  It's such a great course especially for evening rounds with the views.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
TJ, or anyone for that matter, you should look into playing in Pro-Am's

Not only are they a blast but they're reasonably priced as well. For $100 you get golf, dinner, and normally a shirt or some other nice tee gift. I think the Am skins game is 20 bucks / man, and they're normally played at the nicest courses around. Can't beat that fer 100
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Sunday it seemed I couldn't hit the ball in the ocean.

Tonight driving to the course I heard a bit on Sirius golf about grip being the place to start when things are not happening and decided to make my right hand grip a bit stronger.  I was crushing it.
funny . I hit a low point last Tuesday after hitting two balls into the hazard. I let the rest of the foursome finish the hole while I walked to the next tee box and pulled a shag bag ball out of my bag. I went with a weak grip , aimed at the hazard and ripped one. tried another with the same results. shot a 76 on sunday, lowest round ever. I could not break 90 this year before changing my grip. got to love golf
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
sig wrote
  got to love golf

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
When I go visit my parents in AZ I love playing Tubac the course where Tin Cup was filmed.  Great track.  

The cattle are actually behind the island green not on it
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Very cool pictures Coach.

Not a pretty picture:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2017/05/29/tiger-woods-arrested-dui-suspicion/102284558/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
My man is lookin like he was road hard and put away wet right there ^^^^

phew ---- must've been a dooooozy
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Found him asleep in his car. Cooperated completely. Blood alcohol level 0.00. Prescription drugs, I guess.

First news story, by TMZ, was completely false:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/tiger-woods-found-asleep-car-time-arrest-000/story?id=47722483
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Nah Camper . Most Any dad would make that same calll . This family stuff is just way more important than sport.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Golf Thread - new gear

Z
New golf shop in LP on the corner of 86 and 73.  its owned by the guy that owns Rock Bottom Golf web site and who lives in LP and they stock a good selection and you can have anything sent from the online store to this retail location to try before you buy.

I picked up a Callaway GPS Eclipse GPS for my fathers day gift for $79 which is about half of what I saw it priced on line.  Nice little unit that you can slip in your pocket or clip on belt or bag to give you distance to greens and hazards.  Have not used it on course yet but looks good for what I need.  Comes with 30k courses reloaded.  Who uses range finders or GPS and what advise do you have on them.  I wear glasses when I play so taking my glasses off to peer thru the range finder did not seem appealing to me.

I also hit a demo day last week when I was passing thru Albany.  Tried and loved a set of Wilson Staff FG5 forged irons.  My son is going to take over my current irons (also Wilson Staff's).  I needed to get him clubs as he in almost ready for adult length so instead I upgraded me.  They would have been $899 but I saw them on a ebay auction that I won for about a 1/3 of that.  The seller was a on line golf shop with 10k+ transactions on ebay and 99.6% rating.  I'm hoping they are legit and not counterfeit.  Anyone have any experience buying on ebay?  This will be my 4th set of Wilson Staff irons.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Coach Z wrote
Who uses range finders or GPS and what advise do you have on them.
I have a Garmin watch now.  I would never pay full price for the thing, but my sister-in-law works for a place that sells them.  Hefty discount.  It's good because you can download course updates whenever you want, has a feature to measure shot distance, odometer, shows layup distances, scorecard.  Down side is the list price and it takes some fidgeting to link to a smartphone for the downloading.

My other GPS watch is a few years old now.  Basic front/back/middle of green distances.  Never had a problem with a course, even some small hole-in-the-wall type of courses.  It has a funky connection for the recharger - after wearing it for a few years I had to use a mechanical pencil to clean the contacts to allow it to charge.  Forgot who makes it - one of the bigger guys.  Cost about $100.

In either case, if you're playing 36 holes, you definitely need to shut off the GPS if you stop between rounds.  That sucks up the battery like you wouldn't believe.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My game has been ok but putting has been crappy
I got one of the fat Super Stroke grips on my putter and now puttts are dropping.  You need to try this.
Shot a 72 tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
My game has been ok but putting has been crappy
I got one of the fat Super Stroke grips on my putter and now puttts are dropping.  You need to try this.
Shot a 72 tonight.
i chopped an inch off my putter and put the fat grip on . it took 2 weeks to figure it out, but putting much better
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I seldom pay attention to that rule now.  I only take the flag out for shorter putts when I think the flag makes my eyes make the target smaller.

The rule I want passed is not getting to touch your ball more than once on a green to clean it.  These bozos that mark and remark their balls on the green drive me nuts.  It should be you mark once then the fartherest from the hole putts out then the next player away putts out etc.  that would greatly speed up slow 4 somes.  In Scotland the average time to play 18 is 3 hours.  Why is it 4+ here?  Hackers that try to emulate the slow play on tv and around the greens is the worst.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Coach Z wrote
 In Scotland the average time to play 18 is 3 hours.  Why is it 4+ here?
Good question.  In moderate seriousness, maybe it's better weather?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I use a Garmin hand held.  Clip to my bag and it does everything and more than I need it to do.  I should probably take advantage of some of the features  I paid for but all I need is the distance...which really I don't need that cause I never hit it anyways but that is a different problem.   If I am playing with 4 guys I think a round of golf is going to take 3.5 to 4 hours.  When I play by myself I can walk and get done in less that 3 if I don't run into anyone.  5 hour rounds get on my nerve.  Last night I played with 3 other guys really enjoy there company but we had to let 3 groups play through us.  That was annoying.   One kid tried qualifying for the open this year.  Watching his ball flight was beautiful.  His average drive was probably about 280.   He plays a different game than us.  Why people up here insist on playing games not using the GHIN is beyond me.  We played Wolfe and this kid must have felt like a real slut by the end of the round.  I went alone and got 2 dots on 15.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Ugh 5 hr rounds suck !! Playing alone can do 18 in 2 and half with a cart.....Love it !  

It is Fun playing with the guys in large groups but frankly  i prefer twosomes . I too hate slooow players , no need to overthink the game and take a a helluva long time studying greens and wiping balls . I find i play better at a " ready golf" pace , just take a look and pull the damn trigger 😉

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
1 ... 37383940414243 ... 60