1194 messages Options
1 ... 39404142434445 ... 60
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Golf Thread - new gear

Z
I'm a 4.5 HCP currently and been single digits for over 15 years.  Usually i am a 2-3 but I am getting a bit older and losing some distance and having a bit of trouble adjusting to my new sticks.  A terminal intermediate skiers equivalent is someone shooting 90 to 110 in golf.    According to the USGA stats I'm in the top 1.1% of golfers.

https://golfblogger.com/what_percentage_of_golfers_shoot_under_100/

Even with my driving as left as Hillary and Matt I managed to break 80.  I just had to hit some 3 woods off the tighter holes tees.

I was faced with either buying new clubs for my son or giving him mine and upgrading my own.  He is getting all the ski gear so I chose to upgrade my clubs.  If it doesn't work out I'll give him the new stuff and go back to my old gear.  I need a range session and maybe some time with our pro if I can't sort it out.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Great finish to the Open

Good gawd I's say so

birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie, par

5 under in the last 5 holes you damn well deserve to win!! I was pulling for Kuchar, he's a class act.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
KOOOCH.  I watched it last night on the golf channel and it was a special couple of holes right there.  Kooch did not loose Speith just throttled everyone.

Oh coach we have to get out and play...of course we will have to use handicaps  and bring those new clubs of yours:) .  OMG I willbe getting like 8 strokes.  Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I was pulling for Kooch.  I didn't care for him until the Olympics when it seemed to mean more to him to win a medal for his country than a Major.  Now I'm a huge fan of his.  Speith got incredibly luck to be able to go over to the range for a drop.  I don't understand why that was not out of bounds.  There also needs to be some time limit on which you have to make a drop - he really should have had to have gone back to the tee in which case he ends up with a double or worse and loses.

TJF - not playing any money matches until I know which hole my driver is going to end up on.  Usually these things don't spill over for me from round to round but the first drive hooked over to 18 on the Mt and it was like o shit its going to be a tough day.  Its not happening with my 3 wood so it must be something I'm doing in my set up with the driver.  It also happened a few times with the 5 wood from the same mfr on the same settings.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I don't see how you can call using the rules of golf to your advantage luck.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Z
If were to guess I would say it is the grip.  Not that anything is wrong with the grip on the club but you are grabbing it differently than your old one.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
OH and put the scores in the GHIN your handicap will work itself out.   You may take it on the chin in the early rounds but when you start to come back down again you will clean house.  I was down over 70 bucks a month ago.  I have cut that down to 16.  Been playing my neighbor a lot. I told him he should change his name to Elsie.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Yeah I put everything into the gihn app
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Still driving to the left but weakened the grip a bit and at least it's staying on the proper hole.  Putting was lights out tonight.  6 birds and 10 one putts 27 putts for the round which is really good.  Even Par on Links.

I get a stretch of a 2-3 finds like this a year.  TJF now is probably not when you want to play me as that hole all of a sudden looks really big.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Now I don't know where the fing ball is going off the tee.  I'm about to go back to my old clubs and give the new stuff to my kid
Booked a lesson with my pro for Monday as I'm losing confidence in my game
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
7.6 Handicap for me. Would love for it to be much higher, because I really want to win my Dad's Member/Guest this fall.

On the bright side, I won a scramble on Sunday at Killington. It was a kick/throw tournament (so we got 4 kicks - which didn't count as strokes - and 4 throws, which did). We also bought eight Mulligans. End result was a -14. Pretty good stuff. We won 4 snowboards.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Way to go pro2860!!!! Nice 69 - 63, tied for 1st in the CNY PGA Senior Championship!!!

Does this qualify you for the national tourney?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
Way to go pro2860!!!! Nice 69 - 63, tied for 1st in the CNY PGA Senior Championship!!!

Does this qualify you for the national tourney?
That's awesome. Congrats pro
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Shit that is some shooting.  Did you play from the red tees?   I was in a scramble Sunday and we only shot 65.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
They play from the blue tees and everything!!!  

Just heard from him --- he lost in a playoff --- damn --- still great shooting
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Thanks guys! I actually shot 67 in the second round. I wish it was a 63...We went back to number 18 for the sudden death playoff. My opponent made a 9 foot birdie putt and I missed my 8 foot birdie putt. This qualified me to play in the Senior PNC at Desert Mountain in Scottsdale AZ. The tournament is September 28 thru October 1. The top 35 finishers qualify for the Senior PGA Championship  in 2018.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
That is pretty exciting.  Did you ever qualify for the tour before?  Man I wish I could hit the ball consistently well.  Hey how far do you get off the tee?   What about your 7 iron how far does that go?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
My tee shot goes 240 on average.  My 7 iron goes 155-165.  What does other people numbers look like?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by pro2860
That's great you qualified for the National ---- this year is it!!

TJ, my numbers are similar to yours except from 155 (no wind, depending on trouble, etc etc) I hit the 8

I'll guess on Pro's #'s

Tee ball ---- 295

7 iron 165
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
The last time I was on a launch monitor my driver carry was 260-265. 7 iron carry 160-165. Overall distance varies with wind, temperature, how firm the ground is , etc.
I have never qualified for any tour events but I am still holding out hope to play in one. The Senior PGA would be huge as its a major championship. Its still gonna be very difficult to qualify as many of the guys playing are former tour players and guys that chase the tour. Players are only excluded if they have played in more than 10 tour events in the last year.
I have never been on top of my game when I have gone to nationals. I'm hoping that will change this year. The closest I have come was in 2012 I missed by a couple of strokes and finished tied for 52nd or something like that...
1 ... 39404142434445 ... 60