1194 messages Options
1 ... 38394041424344 ... 60
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Golf Thread - new gear

Z
I play consistently in 2:35 walking on both the links and Mt courses as single or two some. Most long time LP club members will play as a 4 some walking on the links in under 3:15

With my son a 23 hcp it will take around 3 to 3:15

There are several reasons for long rounds
1. Playing the wrong tee for your ability - the play it forward push is big in curing this
2. Trying to play like a tour pro on tv and on the greens is the worst.  Only touching the ball once fixes that.  I'm all for not getting to touch it at all why should the green be any different from the rest of the course.
3. Stroke play betting- in Scotland and Ireland they play almost exclusively match play and if they are out of a hole they concede pick up and move to the next hole.  This is why the Euros kick our ass in Ryder Cup.  My sons 9 hole high school stroke play matches take almost 3 hours.  Why they don't go the match play is beyond me.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I think, for the most part, reason for slow play is people don't know and or adhere to the rules of golf. A couple examples are hitting a provisional. How many times do you see someone going back to the tee to hit another ball??? That just takes time. Lost balls!!!! My pet peeve!!! I can't stand looking for golf balls. I play Lee Travino's "No Hunt Rule", you no hunt for my ball and I no hunt for yours. USGA states a player has 5 minutes to look for a ball. I can't tell you how many times that rule is violated. Marking your ball on the green, playing for money are all within the rules of golf. I don't have a problem with that.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Just switched irons and am having a hard time.  Good news I'm hitting these very straight but my eye had been putting in 5 to 10 yards of fade so I need to adjust my target.  

I felt like i was hitting these new irons much shorter.  Just confirmed that the specs are 3 degrees more loft and .25 to 5" less shaft length on the new Forged better player irons compared to my old cavity backs.  P wedge was 4 degrees different.  Good to know I just need to add a club to my old distance.  The difference in loft was really screwing with my short game big time.

The moral of the story is even from the same mfr an 8 is not an 8 when moving to different classes of clubs.  Forged irons are pretty much exclusively better player clubs so the lofts are higher.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Why didn't you just order them with the loft/lie and length you wanted??
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I tried them at a demo day last week but hitting them on the range off a mat is different than playing with them.  I ended up getting them for a steal in an auction on eBay at $250 for a brand new set of forged iron with a $899 msrp so customized was not an option.  Standard lie angles work for me.  The whole set is more lofted than a cavity backed set so that is not something in going to adjust I'll just need to hit an extra club since a 7 in the new set has about the same loft as my old 8 had.  Just going to take some getting used to.  I love the feel of the forged club.

Goes to show you a 7 is not a 7 in your bubbies bag.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
ready golf is my pet peeve. if i see the others standing around i step up and hit it. i also give you about 5 seconds on the tee box to acknowledge your honors. if you don't have a club in hand i step up and tee off. we also play match play so if you are out of hole we give you a double bogey score.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The right way to do it is to use EHC

https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=9

Yesterday I played with TJF and I was walking and they were riding in a cart so I tried to tee off first so I could have my club back in the bag and start walking to not slow them down.  We got around pretty fast about 3:20 I think.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Yep, all club manufactures have their own specs.

You can always have them bent to your liking and lengthened as well. I always have mine +3/4 an inch in length, as well as I like to have all my wedges the same length as my PW.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Does all that work on your clubs help you score your 95SSS   . I am trending to a 15.9.  Pretty nasty stuff right there.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
hehehe

shot 37 last week

SUCK IT!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Strong round Camper !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Right on WD

Made every putt I looked at (thank god cause i missed all but 3 greens ) and figured out my timing issue with the long stick, so I was splitting fairways.The game is more fun from the fairway than it is in the left rhubarb. Hopefully I'll remember that the next time ---- man this game is easy to screw up!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by tjf1967
TJF - you were hitting your driver really long but a bit wild - you were a good 25+ yards past me all day and your putting was really good too.  The wind and the weather didn't help at all - even the pros play like crap in that much wind.

at least I figured out why I wasn't hitting my norm of GIR's - 3% is a lot and a shorter shaft so I just need to pull one more club than I used to.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
That's my game. I am usually better with the driver. I can't sweat it. My second shot has always been horrible. My chipping was not zeroed in either. Hence the 89. It's going to come together in the mean time I'll put it in the books and live with it.  I seem to play better when there is some friendly betting going on but it's hard to find up here. People wanting to play straight up is stupid.  You game was off. I remember last year you were pretty automatic.  If we played with ghinn yesterday o would have taken you for a ride.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
With new sticks I was certainly not dialed in.  Had a low 70's last week.  Hoping these clubs can bring me up a notch.  The 5 wood showed some serious potential as I hit probably two of the best shots this season with it in a matter of a couple holes.

Let's play again in a couple weeks.  I prefer match play or skins and we can put a friendly wager on it.  I think I'd have to give you about 9 or 10 strokes.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You playing this afternoon coach?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sorry I didn't see this until now
Played the links getting the feel for the new irons after a driving range session Friday
4 bogies and one bird that was about 3 inches from being an ace

sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
TJF - you were hitting your driver really long but a bit wild - you were a good 25+ yards past me all day and your putting was really good too.  The wind and the weather didn't help at all - even the pros play like crap in that much wind.

at least I figured out why I wasn't hitting my norm of GIR's - 3% is a lot and a shorter shaft so I just need to pull one more club than I used to.
i chopped an inch off the driver shaft, going straighter but lost 10-20 yards in distance. I don't hit it long enough to give up that distance but if your in bomber it maybe worth a try. golf galaxy and dicks have drivers of various lengths you can hit to test shaft lengths.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Great finish to the Open

I've suddenly been struck with a case of the lefts.  I'm pulling hooking my new driver 25 to 75 yards to the left and can't seem to fix it.  My new driver came with a GPS and tracking app and I've hit only a few drives to the right since getting it.  I changed the setting which lessened the amount off line somewhat.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Z wrote
Great finish to the Open

I've suddenly been struck with a case of the lefts.  I'm pulling hooking my new driver 25 to 75 yards to the left and can't seem to fix it.  My new driver came with a GPS and tracking app and I've hit only a few drives to the right since getting it.  I changed the setting which lessened the amount off line somewhat.
Z - you got some terminal intermediate skier in a lesson, he comes talking about how these carbon fiber poles help him so much, he has the latest ski suit and brand new skis, special foot beds and all the latest swag - but still initiates each turn as a stem. Sound like anybody's golf game?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
1 ... 38394041424344 ... 60