classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1175 messages Options
1 ... 23242526272829 ... 59
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's Ride

JasonWx
how could I not ride today..I am off this week , visiting my kids at there respective colleges..
I also installed a dropper post today...what a great invention

Interesting ride..It is on a ridge over looking the new TZ bridge construction..

I give up trying to straight out those pics
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
JasonWx wrote
how could I not ride today..I am off this week , visiting my kids at there respective colleges..
I also installed a dropper post today...what a great invention
Welcome to the club Jason.  Droppers are indeed a wonderful thing... As good, if not better than suspension.  No need for "broke back", old school XC geek ass dragging on the rear wheel style when the trail turns steep and rowdy.  
You can stay low and centered on the bike for way better control of the steering and front wheel.  All you need to do is watch some dh race vids to see why it's the way to go. But I'm guessing you know this..  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
...until it breaks...

Droppers are key for pump and jump too.

I honestly still haven't mastered the control I have getting my weight centered and my chest over the bars.  Possibly over-confidence, possibly perspective change, possibly speed exceeding skill but I clip more trees with the dropper than I ever did without it.

We have some tight, twisty tree runs locally with a lot of weird off-camber turns.  They aren't hard to ride a fixed seat bike on, but man you can go a lot faster with a dropper.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Is that Tallman State Park?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Just north of it.  Off of rt 303 after Toyota dealer more or less
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Nice nyack beach is good too
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Just north of it.  Off of rt 303 after Toyota dealer more or less
The woods around the Bradley/Tweed hill?  Fun road riding up around there too.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Not exactly sure what it is called   But u could be right.  Short but interesting single trackI live in new city and work in nyack so a nice quick session.  Usually ride with jamesdeluxe in Morristown nj
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I've been running my out-the-backdoor trails for at least 3 weeks now, but finally got out on my mountain bike for the first time this season.  There had been some patches of remnant ice, but that all got nuked when temps hit 80 degrees on March 9.  Amazing to be riding trails that are free of snow, ice and mud in mid-March.

The trails have really exploded in popularity.  A few years back I'd ride all summer and never see anyone at all.  Now it's rare for me to not see other riders when I'm out.  The increase in traffic is great - it's helped to firm up the newer trails and we've now got a lot more people helping out with trail maint.

The riding is going to be better than ever this year.  We added a new trail (the red trail on the map below) last fall and added an extension to the yellow loop.  This spring we added the white loop on the map - it's still a little raw but totally rideable.  The new trails are all really fun to ride.  There are one or two segments I will add this summer to eliminate the small remaining amount of doubletrack.  I have to re-measure the mileage, but we're well over 10 miles now, all singletrack.  

Anyone who's interested in a tour sometime give me a shout.  There's also a fairly active Facebook group with 80+ members for group rides, trail maintenance, trail map updates, etc., let me know if anyone wants to be added.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
It was a bit hot, even at 8 am, but the views were spectacular.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
That sure ain't the Hudson River..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by Marcski
That looks sweet... where are you riding?
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
nepa wrote
That looks sweet... where are you riding?
Costa Rica.  Pura Vida, NYSkiblog.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Marcski wrote
Costa Rica.  Pura Vida, NYSkiblog.
Nice! Pacific or Atlantic side?  My wife and I love the Nicoya peninsula.  We have done a couple of surf trips at Playa Santa Theresa.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
looks west side to me. Guanacaste?
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
We've only been to the Pacific side.  I think next time we'd like to check out the Caribbean side.  

This time we are north of Tamarindo in Guanacaste.  Taking it kind of easy, spending time on the beach and of course some day trips including, ATV, zip lining, river tubing in a beautiful gorge with monkeys swinging in the trees above our heads and today's mountain biking.  

Last time we were here about 2 years ago, we went up to a cloud forest for a few days on the flanks of Poas volcano.  Then we went down to Quepos and spent a few days around Manuel Antonio Park, which was amazing and filled with incredible amounts of biodiversity:

It is an amazing country in many ways. 95% of their energy comes from renewable resources:

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
Rollin' on my Skinny Bike through the Desert...
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
25+not another cyclist, MTB tomorrow Gurney Lane 11am, any locals interested? ???upside down
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Took an 8.5 mile ride at Minnewaska State Park, my favorite local place to bike.  Rode to Awosting Lake taking the Upper Awosting Cairrage Road out and Hamilton Point Carriage Road back.  I've been here countless times, but it was my first time on Hamilton Point because it was previously closed to bikes.  This also means I've been on every legal bike route in that park.

Awosting Lake

Hamilton Point Carriage Road going through pine trees.

Some views from Hamilton Point Carriage Road.

See, Sno is not an inactive snob, but during ski season, I like to ski and not do out of season activities.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
For me it was a 30 mile loop on the road bike. The birds are coming back. Saw a loon and a heron today. Felt really good, will go again tomorrow and start to do some climbing again - spring is always a struggle to get the legs back.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
1 ... 23242526272829 ... 59