classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
258 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adk BC Conditions

Devil dog
Welcome winter 2016! Great day today because the rain didn't wash everything away! But use caution because of a seirious melt freeze crust (take note of this when more snow comes on slides

*) and still minimal snow coverage.
stay sendy
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Some awesome pictures in this thread. Skimore.

Careful but fun skiing tonight in the SoAdk. We've got six or more inches of bulletproof with maybe six inches of nice snow on top.  It's only thin where water was actually running last Sunday.  The skiing is quiet, the only sound are my fish scales.

Did all of lower yellow and upper just to the top of the big hill, coming back down the gradual way. No reason to harvest those downhills in the dark, more fun in the day, tomorrow after Gore. Still some nice step turns and one step tele on the way back.

It's a nordic thing. I'm pretty sure Adk_Jeff would dig this, and from what MikeK is posting I bet he'd like it too.  North River culture is just a little bit more nordic than North Creek.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Yeah I dig it Harv.  Off to get some Nordic right now.  I'm a bit sick so I might have to keep it short and sweet.  Lookin forward to hittin some trails in that area!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Ahhhhhhh, ok. Had to check the maps... North River is North of North Creek.   Nice work Harv.  Ok now that we've got some snow even further North, I'll quit lurking here and get back to where I belong.  Ski Ya ...
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Devil dog
Excellent pic, Devil Dog.

(You too, Harv, but there just something cool about that fire tower with the split board in the foreground)
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Mountains of Southern Siamese Ponds Wilderness from Wilcox Lake Wild Forest near Wells.

Snow cover is thin and after the warm temp, wet snow and freeze, the woods were really icy and crusty on Sunday.  Hope we get some more snow before next weekend to freshen things up and cover over some of the bigger rocks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The couple 2-tree inches we got last night made a big difference. New I probably shouldn't have skied our trails on Saturday as anything skied was crunchy on Sunday. But the overnight snow, this morning was deluxe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
For MikeK or anyone else... this spot is above 1900 in the So Adk about 4 miles from Gore, after Sun nights 2-tree inches:

Nice for touring and you could do some gentle downs without hitting any rocks.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Thanks Harv.

I'm itchin' to ski more central Adirondacks right now.

Any suggestions for tours that are good now in that area?
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
MikeK wrote
Thanks Harv.

I'm itchin' to ski more central Adirondacks right now.

Any suggestions for tours that are good now in that area?
I'd imagine conditions are probably good in the Ha-de-ron-dah area. Good trail system there and they've probably benefitted from the recent lake effect snows. It's more in the SW Adirondacks though.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
jjp24 wrote
I'd imagine conditions are probably good in the Ha-de-ron-dah area. Good trail system there and they've probably benefitted from the recent lake effect snows. It's more in the SW Adirondacks though.
I was in that area this past weekend on Saturday.  They had about a foot of snow and were getting hammered with warm temps and wet snow/r*in.

Where I skied it was OK cover but most rocks were barely covered and wet spots were prevalent in certain areas.

If they have the same cover elsewhere, and I can skirt around or skip over most of the rocks... I'd rather ski something new to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
This post was updated on .
Botheration skied nice on Saturday,Some boney spots but still a nice tour. Ponds not frozen so have to stick to trail those are the boney spots. Checked Raymond Brook quit before height of land.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Thanks for the tip.  I might try to hit that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm betting Botheration has been skied relatively hard. BRLKED and crew and others.

Maybe I'm nuts to post this on a forum but there are several ways through that part of the woods that aren't "marked" trails. If you are setting a new track it will probably be less boney.  Map, compass and knowledge to use both of course.

Right now I'm thinking Plattekill, but if that changes, maybe we can do the handoff.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Only somewhat heavy use by Garnet Hill and to Old Farm clearing rest lightly touched.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hmm cool. There are ways around that.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I go bushwacking in certain areas, but this one I'm not familiar with, and I've never skied the main trail, so I'd probably only go off where it was thin.

Really my only concerns in this kind of snow are descents.  Try making turns, whack a rock, ruin your ski or launch yourself into a tree.  Bombing it on unknown trail or whackin', same risks.

Obviously all part of the game, but I try to be somewhat smart about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
skied Old Farm to Route 8 today, can't seem to upload pictures, anyway I'd give it a 5/6 out of 10. lot of blow down, stream crossings iffy. But I had a great ski. Sections were great others sucked. If your adventurous give it a go. River section was gorgeous.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
BRLKED wrote
skied Old Farm to Route 8 today, can't seem to upload pictures, anyway I'd give it a 5/6 out of 10. lot of blow down, stream crossings iffy. But I had a great ski. Sections were great others sucked. If your adventurous give it a go. River section was gorgeous.
Nice.  You'd be right at home up here BRLKED... Despite all our pics and TRs of stellar snow, the fact is, most of our schwacks in the backbush are as you described.  As Maxwell Smart would say "....and lovin' it.."
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
This year we take what is offered and just breathe.
1 ... 567891011 ... 13