114 messages Options
1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Alta and NoVT Snow Totals

Harvey
Administrator
This was pointed out to me by noted Snow Statistician Tony Crocker.

Snow totals this season to date:

Alta 201"
Stowe 193"
Jay Peak 223"

Even if you think Jay Peak engages is a bit of exaggeration, Stowe is the gold standard in reporting and may well pass Alta by the end of the current storm.

I wonder how long it has been since Stowe was ahead of Alta at this time of year?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Alta and NoVT Snow Totals

PeeTex
They are hurt'n for certain. I have a business trip out there next week, was planning on taking a few extra days and ski but I am thinking I would rather have those days here. Skiing the last week here has been every bit as good as what you would find there except on an epic powder day there - which doesn't seem to be happening.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
crazy.... can't be often that skiing on the EC is better then Colorado and Utah.
i don't believe the NW is doing well either
my buddies is SLC are bumming
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Was asked multiple times this week where to ski in the EC, people are cancelling their flights out west to take advantage of vacation days that were already spoken for to hit VT this week when it's primed. Knock on wood, pour some out for Jobu, just let the good times and frigid temps roll for another 3 or 4 months.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bunson11
I skied Alta last week and it was pretty good even for low snow...now it's time to saddle up and head to Jay Woo Hoo!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I said this in another thread but it's barely a winter in the west. I'm wearing flip flops today at 7k. 65 for the high. Rain in Tahoe, 60's in Jackson and Salt Lake.  I'm stoked the east is getting some but I'm worried about the future. A few more years of this will be devastating to the industry.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
This is depressing.  All year I look forward to 10 days in SLC for skiing.  Have plane ticket for Feb. 23rd, returning March 3rd but not sure it's worth it this year.  Have a guide all lined up (wife insists I ski with someone) but am thinking of cancelling him and the flight and skiing in NY/VT.  Was going to camp out near PowMow and do some cat skiing but I don't think they are even running that operation this winter.  Friend out there is giving me reports of blue bird days skiing among the rocks.  Yuck.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
onscott wrote
This is depressing.  All year I look forward to 10 days in SLC for skiing.  Have plane ticket for Feb. 23rd, returning March 3rd but not sure it's worth it this year.  Have a guide all lined up (wife insists I ski with someone) but am thinking of cancelling him and the flight and skiing in NY/VT.  Was going to camp out near PowMow and do some cat skiing but I don't think they are even running that operation this winter.  Friend out there is giving me reports of blue bird days skiing among the rocks.  Yuck.
Stay close to home, hit some places you haven't been in awhile. Put the money into an account for an Alaska trip next year. Or go and have a great time, and maybe the weather changes anyway.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I was out there 2 weeks ends ago.  While it's not classic Utah conditions the worst day was a 7 and the best a 9 in my book. The pattern will change.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'll be at Stowe next weekend.  Should be great.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I was out there 2 weeks ends ago.  While it's not classic Utah conditions the worst day was a 7 and the best a 9 in my book. The pattern will change.
Unfortunately not in the next week at least according to the long range forecast, high pressure and warmer temps.
I am pulling the plug on my trip and going to ski here. I have been out there when it has been like this and it's just not worth the time and expense when we have much better conditions for free in our own back yard. I'll save up and splurge on a week at the Rustler Lodge next year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Key phrase "...in my book."

I'm sure it was cool, but I'm not sure a Wasatch local would be throwing out 7s and 9s right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Coach Z wrote

I'm sure it was cool, but I'm not sure a Wasatch local would be throwing out 7s and 9s right now.

The locals are playing golf, riding bikes and otherwise having a good old time doing something else.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
PeeTex wrote
Harvey wrote
Coach Z wrote

The locals are playing golf, riding bikes and otherwise having a good old time doing something else.
Some are but there are a lot of passionate snow sliders in the SLC area that are really grumpy and jaded now. It's what? The fourth poor winter in a row for The Wasatch? Then again, a bad year there is still around 3-350 inches of snow. At least they aren't in Lake Tahoe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I looked and 2010-11 was huge at Alta 750.  Others in the last 5 years were around 400-450. Hard to believe that sucks, but I guess it does. Certainly takes more to cover things out there.

With Pres Week upon us and a lot of people canceling trips out west to ski here... should be interesting to see the impact on final numbers for the east.

sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
a bad year for them is still a good year by our standards. they need to come see some boilerplate to realize how fortunate they are
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote

My wife has about given up on this season.  She suggested we take the bikes down for a ride down by the river this weekend... the forecast high on the mighty Columbia is 65 degrees.  If she does not start to display a more positive winter attitude, I am planning on filing for divorce.    

This weekend, Mission Ridge is throwing a Hawaiian Luau party... these types of celebrations at the ski area are usually reserved for April.  Makes sense... the snowpack looks like it would normally look in late June.  The speculation in town is that the mountain will close after this weekend.  If we don't get a major dump by the end of the month, all seasonal help will be laid off, and the ski area will be closed for the season... 8 weeks early.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
a bad year for them is still a good year by our standards. they need to come see some boilerplate to realize how fortunate they are
True... but there is a conversion factor.  200 inches here is way better than 200 inches there. Over almost any time frame, I think.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Harvey wrote
sig wrote
True... but there is a conversion factor.  200 inches here is way better than 200 inches there. Over almost any time frame, I think.
You are correct Harv.  In my neck of the woods, at the Cascade Crest, 200 inches is less than 50% of normal.  Hell... in the PNW, we have not even hit 200 yet.  Stevens is reporting 150, Baker is around 175.  I have only measured 88 at my house by Mission Ridge.

Many people are calling this the worst since 2005.  I was discussing it with a friend who grew up in the PNW.  He said 2005 was awful until March and April.  Many of the ski areas closed early.  Just before the Spring equinox, there was an abrupt change in the pattern.  There were 3 monumental storm cycles coupled with abundant cold air.  10 to 12 feet of snow fell across the Cascades in a matter of 6 weeks.  At this point, we are holding out for a repeat of the late season 2005 weather.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In 2007 our eastern season was for shit until Valentines Day, when it went off the hook for the next 8 weeks. It really was only 4 "big" storms. 12 inches of snow can be a game changer in the east.

One thing about an area like Gore that doesn't get much snow... the trees are built for it. Rule of thumb at Gore used to be 40 inches to get in the trees, but I know we are heading in on less than that now.  Not all lines but the smoothest ones.
1234 ... 6