classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
114 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Alta and NoVT Snow Totals

Benny Profane
ScottyJack wrote
them mountain collective or whatever they are called passes would be a huge bust this season....  

Maybe if you only ski some scrubby local hill.

Check ticket prices these days. Many western mountains are 125 plus at the window. Do the math. You're in the black in a few days.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
This just isn't the season for the west. If you bought your passes you go, the reports I am getting is that the groomers aren't too bad and today may provide good corn.

I canceled all my plans and will reevaluate for Spring if March turns around. Right now forecast is for mostly above freezing temps even at night so it will take a banner March. The pics people have been sending me from the valley look like what I have seen in late April. The snow line is mighty high.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I know it isn't Utah, but I saw this today, the snow stake at Heavenly

We are so lucky
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
PeeTex wrote
I know it isn't Utah, but I saw this today, the snow stake at Heavenly

We are so lucky

Yeah, whenever Co. Starts to look scratchy, I remind myself I'm not in Tahoe. It's been three years for those guys. Imagine if you moved there three years ago to retire.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Jeez you guys have more snow than I do, and you STILL have enough time to be bickering about it. Get out and ski, ya fools!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Having just been there the base at Snowbird is deeper than Whiteface.  Utah will get plenty of snow in March.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
Having just been there the base at Snowbird is deeper than Whiteface.  Utah will get plenty of snow in March.
I was just there too, but choose not to ski, rather in for a meeting and out. I will wait and see if March changes things but right now their snow pack as reported by the local news is ~65% of normal. That really doesn't matter much, what matters is the warm temps and little snow. If they have a good March I will plan for spring skiing, but unless that happens, I'll wait for next year and stay two weeks.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The skiing was really good last week but the 49 degree temps at 11k elevation and strong sun on Saturday followed by a cool down Sunday pretty much killed everything off piste except for North facing aspects perferrably in the shade.

It either needs to snow or get warm and sunny to bring the rest of the Mt back in play
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin

This sums up the east coast major resorts right here. "powder day" at a major Vermont resort. This type of grooming is the BIGGEST obstacle to skiing powder on the ec. They have around 6 trails with moguls. So that's leaves a whooping 13 trails with powder on them out of 92...LMAO And this is TYPICAL for condo laden yuppy vermont resorts. And the trails are NOT top to bottom. A little cut back trail is called a separate name.

The only reason they probably even left a few trails with powder is they simply couldn't manage to get to all of them!!! Otherwise they probably would have flattened them as well! Most VT resorts do not significantly change their grooming plan and leave most of the mountain with powder on a powder day. So even if they get the snow, it's mowed down at most resorts. Okemo is even worse than stratton when it comes to leaving powder if you can believe that.

Comparing utah to vermont(south or north) is laughable.

"powder skiing" doesn't even exist for most of the ec clientelle sadly. They complain if it's not cord.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Pow I'm guessing Stratton is probably a pretty successful business for a ski area.  If I was Stratton, I'd do what they do... satisfy my customers.

I challenge you: post about something you like. We know what you don't like.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Alta has had 12 inches of snow so far in February, 17 inches since January 15.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
bumps wrote

Jet stream dropped for us in Colorado. Looks like two feet by Monday. It's hammering, and, of course, I70 is closed. Utah is skunked again on this one.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Benny Profane wrote
bumps wrote

Jet stream dropped for us in Colorado. Looks like two feet by Monday. It's hammering, and, of course, I70 is closed. Utah is skunked again on this one.
Go get'em Benny!
We're gonna need pics - lots of pics.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Alta facebook:

"And the snow is back in a serious way up here at Alta! ‪#‎nuketown‬"

NWS Forecast shows shows 3-6.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Alta facebook:

"And the snow is back in a serious way up here at Alta! ‪#‎nuketown‬"

NWS Forecast shows shows 3-6.
You gotta be kidding, the NOAA forecast is for 1-3 tonight - not what I would call "nuke town"
After that, it's back to same old same old.

Don't get me wrong, I desperately want this to change, I haven't missed a season out there since I can't remember, and the times I did it was for chasing the buck, but thats all history, I am hoping for a strong March.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Pow I'm guessing Stratton is probably a pretty successful business for a ski area.  If I was Stratton, I'd do what they do... satisfy my customers.

I challenge you: post about something you like. We know what you don't like.
Yes, successful at making money just like a circus/amusement park for the wealthy. Passion for great skiing? I think not.

That's fine to "satisfy SOME customers", but you have to factor that in when comparing east to west. And I'd be fine it was JUST stratton that groomed almost everything that's not a mogul on a pow day, but it's basically every single major resort with a high speed lift in vermont. It makes EC powder skiing suck and turns it into a joke when you can barely find a mountain that leaves powder.  You can't ignore that when comparing east and west. Amount of available terrain.

Also, a lot of customer do want powder on the EC. Times are changing. Look at all the wide ski's being sold and look how many complaints they get on FB when they groom everything.  The key is COMPLAIN to management when they groom everything. They respond if enough people complain. That's how we ended up in this scenario in vermont. People a long time ago complaing about pow so managment decided to groom everything on a pow day. You'd have a riot if you groomed almost every open trail at many places out west. That's reality.

What difference does 300 inches of snow make if you groom almost all of it anyway? I don't see why there couldn't be a market for a resort that leaves powder on pow days in VT and has high speed lifts ect.. That works out west and they'd have no competition out here on the ec! The vermont areas pay no attention to powder. It's a marketing tool for cordoroy and that they'll have snow on the ground since your average person they're marketing to doesn't seem to understand the concept of a snow gun.. Period.

If they did care about powder, they'd cut trails on the south sides of some mountains(where it's possible) to avoid powerful Northerly/Northeasterly winds in a nor'easter. This another reason I question whether they really average 300 inches  a year. If they get that much snow, why would they groom it all instead of marketing themselves as having powder on their trails?

SUCH A WASTE OF SNOW in NVT if they actually get that much. I'd take a REAL powder daize at plattekill any time over those shitty corporate yuppy vermont resorts.

I've posted plenty about what I like!  It's a VT vs utah thread. I'm not hijacking the thread.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I have friends out in PARK CITY and ALTA right now, I was so tempted to tell them we got 2" on Belleayre in the afternoon and there was another 6" rolling in. Lots of wind so deep drifts along the eastern sides of trails and in the woods. So much fun. Decided not to give them too much shit and send pics. Hope the low alcohol beer is taking the edge off for them!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Alta reported 13 inches from the storm.  I'm wondering if snow amounts for Winter Storm Warnings vary by region.

Pow I guess I was saying that you seem disgruntled about everything. Trying posting about an experience that brought you some joy.  If you never experience joy, well, I guess that would explain a lot.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Alta reported 13 inches from the storm.  I'm wondering if snow amounts for Winter Storm Warnings vary by region.
Nice change for them. They need a lot more.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
yesterday didn't suck.