734 messages Options
1 ... 29303132333435 ... 37
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Colleges for Skiing?

JasonWx
FYI
the major engineering firms also require a Masters for entry level jobs..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
The way the world is going generally.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Since I don’t hire engineers I can’t speak to what we are actually hiring....but WSP and WSP USA are top ten global/US design engineering firms, and all of our listings for entry level engineers (civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, geotech, traffic, traction power, water resources, environmental) only require a Bachelors and 0-1 years experience.  Most Engineer II listings require a Masters and 5-8 years.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
My daughter works for Arup . She also worked for Langan ..They wanted a masters or phd.. she said unless you do drainage etc..

she said she is a level 2 at Arup..fwiw  
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Certainly not true with the cust9mers I deal with
Many are hiring with a BS degree for MEs
EE May be different
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Z wrote
Certainly not true with the cust9mers I deal with
Many are hiring with a BS degree for MEs
EE May be different
Are they firms or corporations?

My general thought is go with a BS and if you can't find a job within a year of graduation, get your masters.  YMMV.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Chemical eng don’t need masters either.   However once hired they may work on their MBA rather than their chem e degree as that is usually the career path.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Dartmouth has a good engineering program and its own ski hill.
The Ivys don't offer financial support or scholarships unless you are close to the average income scale (a 50% er rather than a 10%er) and Dartmouth is a heavy nut.

Most Engineering disciplines don't need an MS, but it's a good thing to have for particular types of work. If you want to start your own high tech company, a PhD program will help you get there. Usually you will work on a unique problem that in the end you will have patents and publications as artifacts from the thesis, the degree will help you get government seed/grant money to start and helps with soliciting VC funding. Other than that or wanting to work for one of the big R&D centers, a PhD is not really required but an MS is always a good thing.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
I would be wary of the Dartmouth program. It's 5 years to get the same degree that takes 4 years elsewhere. Their 4-year BA degree is not accredited and has limited majors.  My daughter immediately took Dartmouth off her list when looking at their specific programs. She is at another college now and is on track to finish in 4 1/2 years with  both a BS and M.Eng.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I admit I’d rather be getting muddy up at Platty right now but this place is kinda interesting too.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Nice views

Also nice
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
They lost me with Babson at #5
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Fuck, they lost me with UB, SU and UofR.  I'd expect any school in Albany to be above those seen as how within an hour-hour-and-a-half there are far better options than what those schools have in the same radius.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
I’d bet a part of the algorithm is snowfall on campus.  That’s where those schools come into play.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Nah - I ride my bike through UofR campus regularly.  It doesn't get much snow.  We used to get 120 inches a year on average, it's less than that now though.

There are 4 ski areas within an hour drive of UofR though.  Brantling, Swain, Bristol and Hunt Hollow.

Brantling is tiny.  Hunt Hollow and Swain are similar sized, but HH is semi-private meaning you can't ski on the weekend unless you are a member or are invited by one.  Bristol is "big" but it's only 130ish acres.  They have massive snow making capability, but even this year they are way off.

I think it's probably number of ski areas within an hour drive.  But my point is the ones in Albany area are WAY better ski areas.  You actually have mountains to the north, south and east.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by witch hobble
That list is whack.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
At least the original article has an explanation for the ranking.  Doesn't have anything to do with snow.

https://www.collegeconsensus.com/rankings/top-ski-colleges/

Since VA Tech in Blacksburg is on the list, then James Madison in Harrisonburg, App State in Boone, and UNC Asheville should get Honorable Mention.  JMU is local to my home mountain, Massanutten.  My daughter is likely to attend UNCA or App State so will at least be able to ski in the NC mountains, with potential weekends at Snowshoe if she hooks up with some ski nuts willing to make the drive to WV.

We visited UVM during her college visit process.  They definitely emphasize the close proximity of several ski resorts.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Bozeman Mt.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by marznc
Oh, I can rattle off a bunch that I’d consider a better “skiing college” than some of these. Without even getting in to NY, I’d say Bates, Bowdoin, Colby, UNE, USM, St. Joseph’s, and UMaine-Farmington in Maine.  Plymouth State, Keene State, New England College, Colby-Sawyer, even St. Anselm in NH. Lyndon State, Johnson State (most prime ski college location in the east?maybe?), Castleton, St. Michael’s, Bennington, Green Mountain College in VT.

I’m probably still missing a few. Babson? Haha.
1 ... 29303132333435 ... 37