1 ... 9101112131415 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

billyymc
PeeTex wrote
billyymc wrote
Call it what you want, the quote when he was talking about the virus was “And this is their new hoax.”

Too late. Sad.
No - even the Atlantic monthly states that he called the Democrats criticism of the White House response the new hoax. He never said the virus was a hoax, he did say it was a public health threat in that same speech.
He minimized and trivialized this for weeks, with the eager support of his lapdog Hannity and the rest of the Fox propaganda machine. When there were 15 known cases in the US he dismissed it saying he had a "hunch" it would go away soon, despite having been told by aids and top experts there were likely already hundreds if not thousands of cases that weren't detected.

When state leaders began to take action he denounced it and called them names.

And finally, after states, localities, and businesses leaders all over the country took appropriate actions, he realized he better do something as well.

You live in a fantasy world son. Step outside it once in a while.

Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
No - I don't think selfish - a lot of this is personal choice, and I am not in a position to judge someone else. We may be shutting down our ski season because of this though (I was on track to have my highest set of ski days but will be four or five shy now).  

We are being careful due to status of my dad and inlaws; my inlaws until a few days ago saw the kids very frequently.  

We are in the metro area and things are changing quickly.  We (family of four, 9 yo, 6 yo) are being very careful frankly because my father has a terminal immune related disease and my in-laws both have chronic disease that puts them into high risk in addition to their ages.

Schools just closed for Friday and Monday, but I expect they won't be open for weeks.  That is without a positive test in school (handful of cases in my town of about 200,000 but numbers are probably much higher due to test constraints).  

Everyone be safe.  One point I would highlight is that this isn't really about our kids our ourselves for the most part.  It is really about those over 65 particularly with some kind of health compromise that touches immunity (cancer, diabetes, chronic lung issues).  

It is hard to explain to my six year old why we want her to be careful about something that may never produce a symptom if she contracts it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
PeeTex wrote
billyymc wrote
Call it what you want, the quote when he was talking about the virus was “And this is their new hoax.”

Too late. Sad.
No - even the Atlantic monthly states that he called the Democrats criticism of the White House response the new hoax. He never said the virus was a hoax, he did say it was a public health threat in that same speech.
He minimized and trivialized this for weeks, with the eager support of his lapdog Hannity and the rest of the Fox propaganda machine. When there were 15 known cases in the US he dismissed it saying he had a "hunch" it would go away soon, despite having been told by aids and top experts there were likely already hundreds if not thousands of cases that weren't detected.

When state leaders began to take action he denounced it and called them names.

And finally, after states, localities, and businesses leaders all over the country took appropriate actions, he realized he better do something as well.

You live in a fantasy world son. Step outside it once in a while.

And that insult to the governor of Washington, at the time the most hard hit state, was calling him a "snake". A snake.

And, from one of his tweets, of course.....

"March 9: “The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant. Surgeon General, ‘The risk is low to the average American.’ ”"

That at the same time as his noise makers in the media were calling it a hoax and new impeachment.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
I don't expect any ski area in VA or PA to be open after March 15.  Lack of snow combined with COVID-19.  Events scheduled for this weekend are begin cancelled even if lifts are still running.

Whitetail in PA is open today, March 14.  Very little mention of COVID-19 on the website that's specific to PA.  Only a link to the general Vail Resorts statement about COVID-19.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
There will plenty of time to analyze the administration response and compare it to past responses. Everyone will have their own opinion and spin. I view the current response as aggressive and appropriate as the facts unfolded. Let me remind you that the day after the WHO identified this as a world health (Jan 31) we put travel restrictions in place to help isolate us and buy time. This was met with criticism from Democrats. A quote from Biden after the travel ban was put in place “ “This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia, hysterical xenophobia, to uh, and fear mongering,”

When Bernie was asked “would you close down the borders to stop a coronavirus outbreak, Sanders responded “No.”

But on Feb 29 the New England Journal of Medicine reported: “At least on a temporary basis, such restrictions may have helped slow the spread of the virus.”
The administration was buying time.

At least Governor Newsom, who has never been a fan of Trump has praised his response to the virus.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
Brownski wrote
So what do we think? Am I being selfish for thinking about driving up to VT tomorrow? I have no symptoms and nobody I know has it or is exhibiting symptoms but on the other hand I live in Rockland County (a few cases) and work in Westchester (tons of cases) so there’s a higher then normal- though unquantifiable - chance of me carrying it.
Selfish?? Absolutely not. Go skiing.
Yeah, I overslept anyway. Alarm went off, I rolled over and then it was eight o’clock. Getting up at five is one thing but when I have to get up at four, it’s a whole lot harder. Maybe I’ll ditch the kids and camp out somewhere so I can drive tonight.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I haven't caught up on this thread since last night, so I don't know exactly what has been said. For now I'm going to give some latitude on the politics here, and not lock the thread. It's a important discussion.

But we are all smart people and we know when we are being gratuitous.

I'll have some time later this afternoon to read it all, and I'll do one of three things:

• Leave it alone

• Move it to the OT and remove posting privileges from some people in the OT.

• Lock it.

Help me out here, let's show some respect for each other.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Brownski wrote
So what do we think? Am I being selfish for thinking about driving up to VT tomorrow? I have no symptoms and nobody I know has it or is exhibiting symptoms but on the other hand I live in Rockland County (a few cases) and work in Westchester (tons of cases) so there’s a higher then normal- though unquantifiable - chance of me carrying it.
Selfish?? Absolutely not. Go skiing.
Yeah, I overslept anyway. Alarm went off, I rolled over and then it was eight o’clock. Getting up at five is one thing but when I have to get up at four, it’s a whole lot harder. Maybe I’ll ditch the kids and camp out somewhere so I can drive tonight.
LOL --- I hear that!

I was all jacked up to go skiing tomorrow, looking at the weather I may just pass and sleep in. Maybe.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I haven't caught up on this thread since last night, so I don't know exactly what has been said. For now I'm going to give some latitude on the politics here, and not lock the thread. It's a important discussion.

But we are all smart people and we know when we are being gratuitous.

I'll have some time later this afternoon to read it all, and I'll do one of three things:

• Leave it alone

• Lock it.

Good - I was wondering when you would step in.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
You didn't miss much.  I almost got back in my car after what I saw pulling in.  I stuck to the bunny slope.  I do wish I knew how to use that ridge to improve my turning.  Maybe next year...

I am wondering how much longer GP will be open.  They were pulling the features off of the terrain park by the A frames.

28 and  a half days this year.  Half, because I left after two runs one day.

I can't help feeling that the world will be very different next time I wander on over there.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
There will plenty of time to analyze the administration response and compare it to past responses. Everyone will have their own opinion and spin. I view the current response as aggressive and appropriate as the facts unfolded. Let me remind you that the day after the WHO identified this as a world health (Jan 31) we put travel restrictions in place to help isolate us and buy time. This was met with criticism from Democrats. A quote from Biden after the travel ban was put in place “ “This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia, hysterical xenophobia, to uh, and fear mongering,”

When Bernie was asked “would you close down the borders to stop a coronavirus outbreak, Sanders responded “No.”

But on Feb 29 the New England Journal of Medicine reported: “At least on a temporary basis, such restrictions may have helped slow the spread of the virus.”
The administration was buying time.

At least Governor Newsom, who has never been a fan of Trump has praised his response to the virus.
I'm going bite my tongue...eh, my fingers on this one here and not be political.  However, I believe there is a fundamental flaw in your thinking... in your first sentence. It shouldn't be compared to other responses in the past, it should be compared to what we knew and when we knew or should have known it and the reaction thereto.  

As for Covid 19's impact on skiing it seems to suck.  I think more ski areas will announce early closures and they are due to concern over employees not the skiers. Hopefully, Killington will be able to re-open since they can operate Superstar as a stand-alone with a skeleton staff.  

Otherwise, my skins may see some action and I'm going to hurry up and get the suspension and pivots serviced on the bike.

Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
The US is mostly doing travel restrictions but it’s too late for that. The virus is here and we are eleven days behind Italy on an exponential growth curve.  Skiing is the least of our worries.
FWIW the government response has been less aggressive than the responses of the NCAA, NBA, MLB etc.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
To late for what? It's here now... There really wasn't any way around it. Now it's just be smart until they get a vaccination.. It takes time.
Trump didn't cause this and neither did Obama... China did.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
All things considered not too bad over in the East Cascade environs...

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie

Why don't one of you smart people explain the process of creating a cure for the class. I'm pretty sure samples have been being worked on from day one.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
There are several candidates available and one already in trial now. But it will take several months before they prove the efficacy and that it does no harm. Then they will do larger trails and then ramp into production.

The microbiology required to sequence the RNA (viruses don’t have DNA) and make the right soup is beyond my pay grade.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
PeeTex wrote
There are several candidates available and one already in trial now. But it will take several months before they prove the efficacy and that it does no harm. Then they will do larger trails and then ramp into production.

The microbiology required to sequence the RNA (viruses don’t have DNA) and make the right soup is beyond my pay grade.
So far, the candidates are still waiting for approval for human Phase I safety trials or still in the pre-clinical phase.  Even with fast track approvals at every step, a vaccine for public use is unlikely to be available before the end of 2020.  Most common time estimates are 12-18 months.

Note that there still isn't a SARS vaccine.  But there also hasn't been a documented case of SARS for quite a while.

(Yes, I know something about clinical trials because I worked in the pharma industry on clinical trials research teams for 15 years.)
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Liftopia has started an ongoing list of closing dates.  Most are due to early closing related in one way or another to COVID-19.  Although in some regions really not that far off the usual expectation given low snow conditions.

https://blog.liftopia.com/in-progress-ski-areas-that-are-now-closed/
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

• Leave it alone

• Lock it.

4. Restart PolitiCrap and dump it there.

Not sure how we can talk about big issues (disease response, stock market) without mentioning the politicians that are making world changing decisions (or displaying world class dumbassery). In an election year? In this economy?
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 30