581 messages Options
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

PeeTex
marznc wrote
So far, the candidates are still waiting for approval for human Phase I safety trials or still in the pre-clinical phase.  Even with fast track approvals at every step, a vaccine for public use is unlikely to be available before the end of 2020.  Most common time estimates are 12-18 months.

Note that there still isn't a SARS vaccine.  But there also hasn't been a documented case of SARS for quite a while.

(Yes, I know something about clinical trials because I worked in the pharma industry on clinical trials research teams for 15 years.)
I don’t doubt you know the normal routine but they have already decided to skip animal testing and have jumped right to human testing. I believe Moderna is starting it now: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/researchers-rush-to-start-moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-without-usual-animal-testing/
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Harvey wrote

I'll have some time later this afternoon to read it all, and I'll do one of three things:

• Leave it alone

• Move it to the OT and remove posting privileges from some people in the OT.

• Lock it.

Help me out here, let's show some respect for each other.
4. Restart PolitiCrap and dump it there.

Not sure how we can talk about big issues (disease response, stock market) without mentioning the politicians that are making world changing decisions (or displaying world class dumbassery). In an election year? In this economy?
I'm sure we can. Maybe you and a few others can't but the majority of us can.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
campgottagopee wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Harvey wrote

I'll have some time later this afternoon to read it all, and I'll do one of three things:

• Leave it alone

• Lock it.

Not sure how we can talk about big issues (disease response, stock market) without mentioning the politicians that are making world changing decisions (or displaying world class dumbassery). In an election year? In this economy?
Most of us are good about being able to talk about politics without getting into the whole us vs. them crap. Identity politics turns people into dumbies.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Free politicrap!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
witch hobble wrote
Free politicrap!
I vote to take it elsewhere. Don’t need it here.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
PeeTex wrote
witch hobble wrote
Free politicrap!
I vote to take it elsewhere. Don’t need it here.
So don’t sign up for politicrap. Remember.....IT was quarantined for it’s final chapter. Just don’t log in.

But u know u wouldn’t be able to help yourself!
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
I don’t doubt you know the normal routine but they have already decided to skip animal testing and have jumped right to human testing. I believe Moderna is starting it now: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/researchers-rush-to-start-moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-without-usual-animal-testing/
Interesting.  Hadn't seen that article yet.  I was thinking about another candidate being worked on in Canada.  Interesting that part of the issue with animal studies is that it's hard to get a mouse infected with COVID-19.

Doing human safety studies early on will save a little time.  But I still doubt there will be a public vaccine in just a few months.

Moderna hasn't put a vaccine on the market yet of any sort.  Doesn't mean this won't work.  Would be nice for sure.

". . .
The question is complicated by the newness of the science at play. The technology that has allowed Moderna to craft an experimental vaccine so fast has not yielded a single immunization that’s made it to market so far. It’s a trendy idea: Instead of injecting people with a weakened pathogen or proteins from the surface of a pathogen, so that our bodies will learn to fight off such infections in the future, scientists are betting on a kind of genetic hack, a lab-made concoction that gets the body to produce its own virus-like bits which it will then train itself to combat.
. . .

Moderna itself acknowledges that the task is daunting, and this effort might not succeed. “We have not previously tested our rapid response capability and may be unable to produce a vaccine that successfully treats the virus in a timely manner, if at all,” the company wrote in a document filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

What the company doesn’t say is that it has not yet brought a single product to market, even in non-emergency times. The majority of candidate vaccines fail. If against all odds, this rushed project does work out, then the company needs to be extra careful about monitoring what happens to those people who get it, said Arthur Caplan, head of medical ethics at New York University’s Grossman School of Medicine. “The more you speed it up … the greater the obligation you have to track what’s going on when you get it out into the real world.”
. . ."
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
campgottagopee wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Harvey wrote

• Leave it alone

• Lock it.

Most of us are good about being able to talk about politics without getting into the whole us vs. them crap. Identity politics turns people into dumbies.
Yep, you got it.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Doing human safety studies early on will save a little time.  But I still doubt there will be a public vaccine in just a few months.
I have a hunch it will work.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
All I know is that Tulsi Gabbard is just two Coronavirus’s away from being the Democratic candidate.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by billyymc
VR is suspending operations for at least a week.  Apparently paying staff for the next 8 days.  After that, who knows at this point.

March 14, 2020, 6:30pm, Summit Daily
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/vail-resorts-suspending-operations-sunday-through-march-22/
"FRISCO — Vail Resorts Chief Executive Officer Rob Katz announced in a statement Saturday afternoon that the corporation will suspend the operations of all of its North American mountain resorts and retail stores beginning Sunday, March 15, through Sunday, March 22 due to concerns surrounding the novel coronavirus known as COVID-19.

“And will use that time to reassess our approach for the rest of the season,” Katz wrote.
. . ."
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
witch hobble wrote
All I know is that Tulsi Gabbard is just two Coronavirus’s away from being the Democratic candidate.
Harv, you gotta do something about this. He can’t stop the politicrap.

Ban this motherfucker
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Alterra is shutting down too.  Not quite as clear if that means starting March 15 or March 16.

https://www.alterramtnco.com/news/2020/03/14/alterra-mountain-company-closure-announcement

Can't imagine that Aspen Ski Co. can keep operating.  Aspen is one of the hot spots for COVID-19 in Colorado.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
When sitting on the lobby at GMD waiting for the shuttle he phone kept ringing. Each call was the same, “sorry we are not refunding deposits for cancellations but we will apply it to next year if you wish”
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'd really like to keep this thread in the Woodstove and keep the other in the OT. But not the way it's going. Keep this thread about skiing and it will live on. Next post that is beyond that scope and I'm joining it with the other thread.

For a few weeks, before I shut it down, I was considering what to do. To be honest, one post from January 7 2019 convinced me to do it:

MC2 5678F589 wrote
The sooner this PolitiCrap forum goes away the better.
PolitiCrap is not coming back.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Jay Peak has closed for the season due to Covid19 concerns, and is treating their staff well until they resume summer ops on May 1.

Note that Ontario and Quebec school breaks start this week so the next two weeks would have been BUSY.

Full story here.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Life must go on.  I'm going up to Vermont later this week to burn off my remaining IKON pass days at Killington and Sugarbush and help support the local workers up there.  Hoping they'll both be open by the time I get there.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
onscott wrote
Life must go on.  I'm going up to Vermont later this week to burn off my remaining IKON pass days at Killington and Sugarbush and help support the local workers up there.  Hoping they'll both be open by the time I get there.
Sugarbush is closed as of few hours ago
K still open at moment
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Jay Peak has closed for the season due to Covid19 concerns, and is treating their staff well until they resume summer ops on May 1.

Note that Ontario and Quebec school breaks start this week so the next two weeks would have been BUSY.

Full story here.
Yes, but Jay announcement said Ontario and Quebec folks were not allowed to enter the U.S.  Although what I read was that they were being discouraged from leaving Canada.  And certainly ran the risk of being required to self-isolate when after going home.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This post was updated on .
Alterra has shut down all their resorts, effectively immediately.  Aspen has shut down.  So has Telluride.

The difference between yesterday and today for Colorado in particular . . . the death of an elderly woman was announced this morning.

They are looking for people who played bridge with her at a tournament in late Feb or early March in Colorado Springs.  That could well mean more seniors in a hospital room soon.  Colorado now has three major outbreaks from completely different sources.

https://www.nbc11news.com/content/news/First-Colorado-death-from-COVID-19--568781591.html

https://www.greeleytribune.com/news/health-officials-fridays-first-colorado-covid-19-death-in-colorado-springs-could-have-spread-virus-at-bridge-games/
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 30