Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

Z
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by billyymc
There is little impact on my family.  My son is a 1st yr Fis racer.  There are only a handful of his birth year that would qualify for Eastern Cup Finals or further champs - he is not one of them.  My sons season was probably ending this weekend anyways he probably would not have had low enough points to get into the last couple series.  Being a male Fis ski racers is super tough.  You compete regularly against college racers as a 16 yr old.  Girls have it way easier.
I do have a vacation scheduled to Utah but so do like 4 others if go back in this thread.

What I feel bad for is the u14 or 16 kids that won’t get to go to their regional champs scheduled for next week.  Those are huge achievements and drive these kids to keep racing.  There are big drop in participation offs as kids exit these age groups.  I know these events were the highlights for my son and a lot of kids will miss out on them.

IT is a fact the in the US the avg age of fatalities has been 80.  We all seem to have read a lot about this virus.  Willy seems to have appointed himself the only expert so I’d like to know where he got his medical degree from.

We live in a fucked up era of politically correctness.  Harvard cancelled classes so every other university says wow if Harvard did it we will look bad if we don’t regardless of it makes sense from a risk stand point or not.  Two guys in the NBA test positive and within 24 hours every sporting event in the country gets cancelled.  Magic Johnson had fricking HIV and still played.  Huge fucking over reaction.  playing without spectators was a good solution.  College basketball players are going to get robbed of their March madness dreams they have worked their whole lives for.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by NYSnowflake
NYSnowflake wrote
If you look at my first post on starting this thread I said to avoid the Gondi
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
We live in a fucked up era of politically correctness.  Harvard cancelled classes so every other university says wow if Harvard did it we will look bad if we don’t regardless of it makes sense from a risk stand point or not.  Two guys in the NBA test positive and within 24 hours every sporting event in the country gets cancelled.  Magic Johnson had fricking HIV and still played.
You just reinforced your ignorance.  Not  only do you have NO idea how individual colleges made their decisions, but you understand little or nothing about HIV transmission.

When I know I’m not an expert I do research before shooting my mouth off. You should try it.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
You still don’t get it. It’s not about you or your kids it’s about having so many cases clogging up the healthcare system that people die needlessly. It’s about those 80+ YO, those people on chemo, those people with lots of other conditions that weaken them. This is nothing like HIV. This spreads quickly and easily. Imagine your son gets in a car accident and is rushed to the ER only to find that they can’t treat him because all the resources have been consumed by others. Then it will effect you and you will understand.

I agree it’s way over hyped but in today’s world you have to get the self absorbed’s attention with a 2x4
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The nba created the Magic rule where you had to come out of you were cut
They didn’t cancel the season

So where is your MD from?
Paging Dr Willy
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Z wrote
The nba created the Magic rule where you had to come out of you were cut
They didn’t cancel the season

So where is your MD from?
Paging Dr Willy
Right - they didn’t cancel the season because HIV transmission is nothing like the transmission of this coronavirus.

Stop being defensive. It inhibits logical thinking.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Getting cut is a lot more rare than breathing or coughing.  I'm not a doc, but I'm pretty sure HIV is much harder to spread without a conscious act, like sex.

Look none of us know if this is going to blow over in the month or paralyze the healthcare system and destroy the economy.  If there is a chance that it is the second outcome, it makes sense to cancel games.

I really hope that MC isn't quoting Z in 2 months because he was wrong.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
At the time of Magic HIV was a pretty much death sentence and very large men leaning on each other in pretty rough contact are bound to share some bodily fluids
Statistically the odds of dying from playing BB against a known HIV positive opponent vs playing in an empty arena as a young healthy athlete from Covid 19 are laughable
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Z wrote
very large men leaning on each other in pretty rough contact are bound to share some bodily fluids
Homoerotic ignorance
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I actually love ya Z but that’s some dumb af stuff you’re posting bud. Really. F-Ing. Dumb.

Not sorry. Still love ya but......that dumb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote

You’re a genius. Coaches post absolutely implies he knows more than the experts who are sounding the alarms. He implied it by saying it’s just media hype. You have very poor reasoning and comprehension abilities.
What experts? What alarms are being sounded. The media is completely hyping this, there's too much money to be had for them not too.
In no way am I trying to downplay this and we certainly are changing the way we do things. I was supposed to attend a auction today, my boss said no so now I'm stuck bidding online. How boring. We are following the advice of the NYSHD, what else should we do to make you happy?
You mention major corporations and the loss they are taking. I don't care about them as they will get bailed out if needed. I'm more concerned with the small businesses surviving due to the panic the media is preaching.
Wash your hands Willy, and if you're sick stay home.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Z wrote
We live in a fucked up era of politically correctness.  
You can't say things like this with assholes like me around. 🤣
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/

Prevention
While there is currently no vaccine to prevent this virus, these simple steps can help stop the spread of this and other respiratory viruses:

Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Stay home when you are sick.
Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.

Nowhere does it say panic
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Take a step back. All those glorious qualities Z has you have on fine display. Lol.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
What experts? What alarms are being sounded.
You're tiring. Can you read dude? Or do you only believe what fits your own preconception?

Look up your own actual real sources. I do. Even then I still look for more because I realize even experts can have biases. Some I think are reliable are Laurie Garrett, Eric Feigl-Ding, Scott Gottlieb. Helen Chu who literally sounded the alarm on this in the US. Do you not trust the WHO? If you do, Dr. Tedros is a good one to follow.

If you don't trust any of those how about Fauci? Go read what he's saying.

There is a report (yes in the awful terrible media) of a leaked CDC (that's the US Government) analysis showing a worst case (yes I know what worst case means) scenario of between 160 and 214 million infected and 200,000 and 1.7 million dead - IF we don't take the necessary steps to mitigate.

And you don't care about the corporations taking a hit and needing to be bailed out? WTF dude. This shows you truly have no understanding of the world outside of Virgil. The toll to people is immense before we get to that point. Corporations aren't faceless entities dude.

The steps that major governmental bodies, major corporations, major sports organizations, etc are taking are NOT because of media hype. That's stupid. Those organizations have the resources to hire their own consultants. They aren't making these huge decisions lightly.

It's amazing that you, and so many like you, think the media has the power to alter the actions of the entire country and world. Just for fun.

Also - never once did I say we should panic. Taking WELL informed action seems appropriate.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Take a step back. All those glorious qualities Z has you have on fine display. Lol.
That was lazy. Try harder next time dude.

But obviously you all have your little bro group going on. Enjoy it. In a few months you can get back to hugging.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
I actually love ya Z but that’s some dumb af stuff you’re posting bud. Really. F-Ing. Dumb.

Not sorry. Still love ya but......that dumb.
Seriously. Z is definitely posting dumb shit.

PeeTex has been the most rational one in the last couple of pages in this thread. That means everyone should really take a step back and look at what they are posting, because even PeeTex's old, dementia addled- brain is able to grasp the concept of "it isn't about you, dummy"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I really hope that MC isn't quoting Z in 2 months because he was wrong.
Coach Predicts!!!

The thing is: the response (shutting events down, "social distancing", telling people to stay home from work) will ensure that Z is right. Because of our reaction to the pandemic, in a few months, the pandemic will appear to be overhyped.

The strain will be on the medical system. If we are able to "flatten the curve", we'll be fine ("fine" meaning: only 10s of thousands of old people will die instead of millions).

Then Z will swing by in a couple of months to tell us he was right and we were all fearmongering (he'll ignore the part where it could've been much worse)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You are panicking. Relax, take a deep breath, drink water, wipe your ass, and wash your hands.
1 ... 45678910 ... 30