Saratogahalfday Saratogahalfday
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

City slickers are using VT as their virus hideout

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Re: City slickers are using VT has their virus hideout

How do you define a slicker?  The wiki definition: "a person who is smooth and persuasive but untrustworthy"

If people own property in Vermont, or anywhere, they have the right to use it, within the guidelines.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Probably inevitable and predictable. It’s hard to tell people they can’t use their second homes when and how they want to. Anybody know how robust the VT healthcare infrastructure is? On one hand, I tend to think the low population density and culture of rugged self reliance should make it easier to isolate older and more vulnerable folks from possibly infected individuals. Hopefully the state will see this trend and jump forward in terms of shutting restaurants, gyms etc... the ski areas themselves seem to have figured it out.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
How do you define a slicker?  The wiki definition: "a person who is smooth and persuasive but untrustworthy
Pretty sure he just meant “people from the city with enough money to go to Vermont for a few weeks”.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Full definition from wiki:

"City slicker is an idiomatic expression for someone accustomed to a city or urban lifestyle and unsuited to life in the country. The term was typically used as a term of derision by rural Americans who regarded them with amusement."

The state lawmaker says in the article:

"It's Vermont. It's clean and safe and rural."

If true, sounds like a good reason to be there.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
It’s a good idea to get out of town.  Covid  is everywhere and you can’t close the borders of Vermont. The sooner this resolves in the city the better it will be for all of us, including people in rural areas. It’s a huge mistake to make this an us versus them situation.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
marznc marznc
Reply |

A blog entry about skiing, well not skiing, in Vermont.  With a plea for non-residents to stay away.

https://www.theskidiva.com/skiing-in-the-time-of-covid-19-part-2/
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
If people own property in Vermont, or anywhere, they have the right to use it, within the guidelines.
I agree.
As long as any business, or individual, are adhereing local, state and federal guidelines, I can't see anything wrong with it.

As always, jmho.
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

I'm a flatlander with no second home.  I don't have a dog in the fight.  But the north country will not be immune from coronavirus:

https://www.lakeplacidnews.com/news/local-news/2020/03/17/first-case-of-covid-19-found-in-tri-lakes/

Be safe, everyone.

Z Z
Reply |

Clearly if you have a second home you have a right to be here but if you are sick or have been exposed it’s extremely selfish to bring your illness to a small community where health care infrastructure lacks.

There is nothing to do here currently so it’s probably not time to come visit unless you plan to shelter in place here.  The tourists impact of exposure to the community was explicitly mentioned as a cause to shut the schools.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
1234 ... 29