12345 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City slickers are using VT has their virus hideout

Harvey
Administrator
Sick Bird Rider wrote
This time it is different. Anthrax was fake news.
I don't think it's different.  Anthrax was sent. True it's almost impossible to truly weaponize it.  But the fear was real. That's what we are dealing with, fear. It doesn't matter if that fear is based in something real or not.  The fear itself is real.

The idea that there are geographic borders to covid is thin. No experts are a recommending "distancing" to reduce the number of people who will get it, it's just to slow it down.

We're balancing a health crisis with an economic crisis. The experts are inherently making a choice, that I agree with: human life is more important than economic growth.  If we valued economics over humanity, we might want everyone to hug, spread it around, kill off the weak and get back to the bull market as quickly as possible.

I'm not calling out toga, I assume he lives in a city too.

The phrase city slickers makes me feel like, hey man you're not welcome here.  Bums me out. Sorry man, we are facing some tough choices here, globally and in my company.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Z
I've noticed that there has been a lot of northbound out of state traffic on I-93 the past few days. I was initially dumbfounded when I saw it on Monday but I figured it out quickly. The same thing is happening in NH, just not on the same scale since the resorts have less bad base and Boston has less people and less of an issue than NYC.

The problem is that local hospitals are small and don't have strong capacity. Our rural hospitals might be able to handle local community spread (maybe, maybe not). But they will not be able to handle a doubling of the population that exacerbates community spread or causes it where it had not started yet.

Z wrote
Clearly if you have a second home you have a right to be here but if you are sick or have been exposed it’s extremely selfish to bring your illness to a small community where health care infrastructure lacks.
Yes, but most people don't know they have it until they have infected other people. It is selfish to do it even if you do not have symptoms. People coming in from out of state should assume that they already have the virus.

I keep coming back to this but people need to change their thinking on this virus. Stop thinking "I don't want to get it" and start thinking "I don't want to spread it". Until that happens, we're pretty much screwed.

People do have the right, they own the property. But that type of mentality is going to make everyone and our economy much worse off in the long run and could lead to increased deaths when hospitals become overrun and doctors need to start making the decisions that are being made in Italy right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
Legitimate question though: if you KNEW that you had it, would you still choose to go?  Not only put yourself further away from big city or university doctors, but also potentially being the link of a new spread?
I think "big city & University doctors" are overrated and the way most people would do it, they wouldn't touch anything except for their own car & doorknob.

If you're just staying in one place, you'll infect as many people in one house (0) as you would in the other house (0).

As Harv says, it's going to be everywhere... We're just trying to flatten the curve and lower the speed of the spread. Anyone staying in one place (be it an infected person or an uninfected person, be it an affected area or an unaffected area) is better than a person going out all the time, hanging out in crowds, etc.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Z wrote
where health care infrastructure lacks
It lacks in all of the USA.
That may be true but it’s much more pronounced in the Northern Daks.  it is probably less the case in the southern Daks closer to Queensbury and Saratoga.  Wilmington has a doc that drives over a couple days a week from Etown.  Jay only has a PA after the doc retired last yr.  LP does not have a hospital anymore and Saranac Lake has a very small ICU.  Usually any serious case gets sent to Burlington or Albany.  We need potentially infected city people to stay there instead of coming up here.  We need the limited capacity we do have for the elderly should this get really bad.

VT is actually in a much better position as they have major hospitals in Burlington and Dartmouth Hitchcock just over the River in NH
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Matt, I have no faith that Americans in 2020 will truly be able to properly self quarantine for weeks. The number of interactions will be more than 0 for most people.  Eventually they will interact with the community.

I have it on good authority that Johnnyonthespot has a mountain stronghold with 3 weeks rations, a teenage bride, and  a couple thousand memes at the ready.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
Yes, but most people don't know they have it until they have infected other people. It is selfish to do it even if you do not have symptoms. People coming in from out of state should assume that they already have the virus.

I keep coming back to this but people need to change their thinking on this virus. Stop thinking "I don't want to get it" and start thinking "I don't want to spread it". Until that happens, we're pretty much screwed.
Yep, you have hit the nail on the head.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Translation the mtns have no capacity and will have to drive into the cities for healthcare.

We are all in this together.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
This is a "humanity" situation. If people feel safer in their mountain house, you'd be a dick to tell them to stay off their own land. What are we doing here?
This.

Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
campgottagopee wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
feel safer
This.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
We may have more hospitals and doctors downstate but we also have over 20 million people.  I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio was actually worse down here.

I've seen so many posts on Instagram from the locals that are like:
"The season isn't over, Amazing skinning today!! LOCALS ONLY, if you don't live here STAY AWAY!!, #SkiTheEast #SocialDistancing
I don't have a second home but that rubs me the wrong way.  Much like Jackson Hole locals complaining about the tram lines, it's such hypocrisy to complain about tourists/out-of-towners when your livelihood depends on them.  If you live in a "resort" town you have to deal with tourists for better or worse.

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by witch hobble
Looks like suburbia is the place to be.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Translation the mtns have no capacity and will have to drive into the cities for healthcare.

We are all in this together.
There will be no driving to the city.  There were tests the local hospital in SL needed done last week and Albany said sorry we are too busy for you.  Everything else might get maxed out so the northern Daks  has to fend for itself but we don’t need extra city people to take care of particularly ones that bring it up here.

You can say we are all in this together but the reality is if this gets really bad nobody is going to care about us up here.  Something to think about for those driving north.  I’d be thinking of driving south and maybe going camping for a couple weeks if I lived in NJ.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
Link?

If you actually want people to stay away, you wouldn't post about it.

I also agree with complaining about your customers spending money, seems odd.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
You're in far more danger from economic consequences than health consequences.

We're in it together.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
So don’t follow those people for a while. Kind of an asshole mentality.

The mountain towns are going to need your support and money in a few weeks or months, but right now it is still probably best to lay low where you are and assume that you are already carrying this (literally we are all in this together) and do your part to slow community spread until we have time to ramp up a plan. If everyone from the Bos-Wash megalopolis who has easy access to a condo/cabin/lake house in the mountains heads there, nothing good will come from it.

Harv seems to have been set off by being lumped into the term “city slickers”. It is a common generalization that I have probably used (rafting customers, clueless skiers) in the same way it is easy to refer to certain segments of the population as hicks or rednecks. These are words that entered the lexicon, nothing more. Don’t be offended by them.  Not now at least.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I don't care about that term, really. It's us vs them I don't like.

NYSB has always been, in part, about breaking down us vs them.  It's about that because I don't like us vs them.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
There has been country mouse/city mouse since before white people came to America. Lots of it is good natured fun and not malicious in any way.  Mostly it is not “us v them”, but merely reinforcing and/or validation of lifestyle choices. It is symbiotic.

As the USA emerges from the aftermath of this, I picture there will be a bit of migration away from cities by well heeled mostly white folk.  And there will be immigration to American cities and suburbs by people from other places. Same as it ever was.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
witch hobble wrote
. Lots of it is good natured fun and not malicious in any way.  
Not sure if you've seen Z's posts in the STR thread, but... I think it's a bit malicious on one side
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It doesn't matter where you live. Rural hospitals have to keep a daily log of protective gear and send it to the DOH. The reason they do this is for NYC. If the city gets overwhelmed with cases, they (DOH) will take products from rural hospitals to send there, and we will run on empty.

12345 ... 17