329 messages Options
1234567 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City slickers are using VT has their virus hideout

riverc0il
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Like, I was mountain biking yesterday, and I suppose I could have gotten hurt, but if I was cooped up inside, scared to move my body because I was trying to "accept radical change" or "unify our society" or some shit, I would go slowly insane in my own household prison.

Which is worse, an educated populace, using safe practices to find joy in the things left over (nature, activity, exercise)? Or a bunch of people bound to their houses, scared that they might step off a curb wrong and have to use up valuable hospital staff, slowly dropping into an anxiety-riddled, exercise-starved depression?

If people feel like they are capable to mountain bike, ski tour, golf, etc., they should be able to partake in outdoor sports while keeping safe distances. I suppose you could make the argument that novices shouldn't try things that might get them hurt, but I don't think we're talking to novices on these forums.
I knew someone was going to take what I wrote to an extreme. I never said don't go outside and don't exercise. Take a walk, take a run, take a low impact bike ride, get some solo exercise all the way. I still am. But your reasoning is also being taken to the extreme by other people to justify unsafe activities using similar wording. Getting outside and exercising in a health and safe way is going to become very nuanced. We need to be mindful that many people STILL think anything goes. We all need to put social pressure on those people to smarten up. Everyone on a slippery slope can point to someone else not being mindful enough. Unfortunately, our species does not do nuance very well.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
This is all a great read and nobody is wrong or right.  To share your views is cool and fun to read when we can't do shit, but the truth is...don't give other people ideas.  Do what you are going to do.  Think about who may be impacted if you f up.   Be respectful to others. We are in unknown territory and don't expect a 911 cell call will get you help if others need it worse.  If you are going to do something that some think is crazy, do it with folks that can help get you out of the situation and not expend valuable resources...Wow did I really post that?  
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
River and Suds have the right idea. Lay low, reduce your impact on the system, and practice social distance. It doesn't mean that you have to stare at the wall.

Here is a quote from a longer article in Gripped Magazine: "Ross Mailloux, who works in the outdoor industry, caught my attention. He said: I won’t be skiing, biking, climbing or doing anything that has an elevated risk during this time out of respect for front line healthcare workers. I will be going for walks, mellow runs and setting up a workout space in the house to satiate my need for exercise. I will also be working, reading, writing and only calling friends and family until this all passes and the experts deem it safe to return to normal life. I’ll be treating people with more kindness and empathy. This is the least I can do." #supportthefrontline” Full article here, substitute the word climbing with skinning, paddling, hiking in remote places, etc.:

Why I’m Not Climbing During the Coronavirus Outbreak
And a big thank you to everyone working on the front line during these times
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
To me cutting firewood is 10x more dangerous than skiing, climbing, riding sled, or anything like that.

Should we put social pressure on guys who do that for a living? Should we tell them to smarten up?

I trust people will do what they feel comfortable with.

Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
Does your husband let you use a chainsaw??
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
radskier wrote
Whatadick
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by radskier
radskier wrote
If you have ever met Campy you wouldn’t mouth off to him.  He is a huge dude
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by Brownski
I think that's called humor lol!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Don't worry about gladerunner, just like he got here, he will slither away.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
If you think it's bad in Vermont, imagine living in the Hamptons year round and having those rich assholes show up 3 months early.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-should-blow-up-the-bridges-coronavirus-leads-to-class-warfare-in-hamptons/

Funny thing though, I was thinking of buying a freezer and putting it in my girlfriend's garage and camping out there for the duration. I guess we all have a little asshole in us.

This is a centuries old story though. The rich escaping cities and getting hostile receptions from outer towns and villages. The Medicis had three homes up in the hills above Florence to escape to during the many outbreaks of whatever. I read Ron Chernow's bio of Alexander Hamilton that this Broadway thing is based on, and he escaped twice with his young family north from Manhattan during two outbreaks of something, I forget what, that happened a lot in times of incredible crowding, open livestock markets, and horrible sanitation. They were met with wary looks and guns a lot.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Benny Profane wrote
I was thinking of buying a freezer
Freezers are less available then TP.

Quite an article.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
We've been hanging out in VT since we finished skiing at Greek Peak last weekend. We had hoped that skiing might resume this weekend, but that's off the table now. We ordered some N-95 masks, which should be arriving tomorrow. After that we need to decide if we're staying here, or heading home.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Glade Runner( sir Ban a lot) AZ
Is not same person I bet u a trillion dollars
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
If you think it's bad in Vermont, imagine living in the Hamptons year round and having those rich assholes show up 3 months early.
Spoke to a friend in Cape Cod - same thing happening out there, people are flocking to their summer homes. The stores are just not stocked for that this time of year and the medical resources are not there.

Also noticed people are showing up in the small towns around me, I expect the stores will have the same issue here soon if not already. Other than a few bike rides and one trip to the store, haven't been out of the house.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Have to admit, if I had a beach house I'd be there now. A nice long walk on an ungroomed deep sandy beach is awesome exercise. Must be nice.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
If you do go to your hideaway, consider doing your food, booze, etc. shopping at home and bringing enough supplies to ensure that you don't need to go out for more.

Up here in hideaway country, one of our local fire departments just posted "...we are seeing an increased call volume this week as cottagers are heading north to self-isolate  in what’s being described as the "Muskoka Migration".

The Fire Dept is asking everyone to please take extra care with wood stoves, candles etc. - make sure smoke and CO alarms are working."

Don't be that guy.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Something posted by a guide in North Conway:

"If you or anyone you know is considering coming up to North Conway to climb, ski, or recreate in the coming months, consider this: our local hospital is teeny and going to be overwhelmed. We are equipped--barely--to deal with our local population. But we've also noticed a massive influx of people escaping to the mountains. Even if only one person traveling here is contagious, consider the ramifications for the local population and for the healthcare workers who are already working around the clock. Please consider the local healthcare workers--many of them climbers and skiers--who are dropping their vacations, their travel time, and their climbing days to combat an unseen and unknowable danger. And then think: is my #socialdistancing ACTUALLY social distancing, or am I driving several hours to a place I don't live?"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
riverc0il wrote
Something posted by a guide in North Conway:

.... Even if only one person traveling here is contagious, consider the ramifications for the local population...
The implication here (that this disease is not already in the community) seems dangerously naïve.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
In reply to this post by ScottySkis1
You’re right, not him. He’s a douche, I’m a prick.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
radskier wrote
You’re right, not him. He’s a douche, I’m a prick.
Don't sell yourself short Badskier…You're definitely a douche
1234567 ... 17