123456 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City slickers are using VT has their virus hideout

witch hobble
MC2 5678F589 wrote
witch hobble wrote
. Lots of it is good natured fun and not malicious in any way.  
Not sure if you've seen Z's posts in the STR thread, but... I think it's a bit malicious on one side
Haven’t really been keeping up with that thread’s resurgence.  I’ll have to get caught up. Still, I think most people view the divide through a lens of minor frustrations and playful antagonism.

I’d be very curious about airbnb occupancy stats before during and after this.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
It doesn't matter where you live. Rural hospitals have to keep a daily log of protective gear and send it to the DOH. The reason they do this is for NYC. If the city gets overwhelmed with cases, they (DOH) will take products from rural hospitals to send there, and we will run on empty.
Word on the street is that our small town hospital (24 total staffed beds......I know, sounds cute, right?) is already maxed out (as well as short on all forms of ppe) just due to normal operations along with the uptick in testing and holding people while tests are run. And we don’t even have confirmed cases in the community yet, and it’s still very early on the curve.  So it’s gonna be real bad.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Also: fun fact: the US has 2.3 million prisoners but fewer than 1 million hospital beds.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
campgottagopee wrote
It doesn't matter where you live. Rural hospitals have to keep a daily log of protective gear and send it to the DOH. The reason they do this is for NYC. If the city gets overwhelmed with cases, they (DOH) will take products from rural hospitals to send there, and we will run on empty.
Word on the street is that our small town hospital (24 total staffed beds......I know, sounds cute, right?) is already maxed out (as well as short on all forms of ppe) just due to normal operations along with the uptick in testing and holding people while tests are run. And we don’t even have confirmed cases in the community yet, and it’s still very early on the curve.  So it’s gonna be real bad.
I hear ya

It's already like a monkey effin a football

I too believe we're still on the worse end of it's gonna get worse before better.

Still no confirmed cases in my county
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
TheGreatAbyss wrote
I've seen so many posts on Instagram from the locals that are like:
"The season isn't over, Amazing skinning today!! LOCALS ONLY, if you don't live here STAY AWAY!!, #SkiTheEast #SocialDistancing
I don't have a second home but that rubs me the wrong way.  Much like Jackson Hole locals complaining about the tram lines, it's such hypocrisy to complain about tourists/out-of-towners when your livelihood depends on them.  If you live in a "resort" town you have to deal with tourists for better or worse.
Rubs me the wrong way too, and I am a local.

Don't let that shit get to you. Unsubscribe from that crap, they are losers.

I'm not skinning both to ensure I don't impact health care/first responders if get hurt and also in solidarity. The selfishness needs to stop, the season is over. We need to accept the radical change in our lives and reconsider what is driving our passions vs. what we need to do to unify our society in its greatest time of need since WW2.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Personally I think people should seek fresh air and exercise while they can, but don’t bunch up. If that means going to your second home and hiking or riding your bike - great. Just disinfect your hands before and after you go to the local stores and don’t touch your face in between. If your sneezing or coughing, don’t go to public places where people might touch within the life time of the virus (12 hours?).

However, remember that if you do get seriously ill, the rural medical system is less likely to be able to treat you as the resources will flow to the urban areas.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by riverc0il
THIS ^^^^^^^
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Awesome.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
riverc0il wrote
I'm not skinning both to ensure I don't impact health care/first responders if get hurt and also in solidarity. The selfishness needs to stop, the season is over. We need to accept the radical change in our lives and reconsider what is driving our passions vs. what we need to do to unify our society in its greatest time of need since WW2.
I'm not skinning because the snow is mostly gone, but I think "selfishness" is an awful harsh term for something someone is doing for their physical & mental well being.

Like, I was mountain biking yesterday, and I suppose I could have gotten hurt, but if I was cooped up inside, scared to move my body because I was trying to "accept radical change" or "unify our society" or some shit, I would go slowly insane in my own household prison.

Which is worse, an educated populace, using safe practices to find joy in the things left over (nature, activity, exercise)? Or a bunch of people bound to their houses, scared that they might step off a curb wrong and have to use up valuable hospital staff, slowly dropping into an anxiety-riddled, exercise-starved depression?

If people feel like they are capable to mountain bike, ski tour, golf, etc., they should be able to partake in outdoor sports while keeping safe distances. I suppose you could make the argument that novices shouldn't try things that might get them hurt, but I don't think we're talking to novices on these forums.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
riverc0il wrote
I'm not skinning because the snow is mostly gone, but I think "selfishness" is an awful harsh term for something someone is doing for their physical & mental well being.

Like, I was mountain biking yesterday, and I suppose I could have gotten hurt, but if I was cooped up inside, scared to move my body because I was trying to "accept radical change" or "unify our society" or some shit, I would go slowly insane in my own household prison.

Which is worse, an educated populace, using safe practices to find joy in the things left over (nature, activity, exercise)? Or a bunch of people bound to their houses, scared that they might step off a curb wrong and have to use up valuable hospital staff, slowly dropping into an anxiety-riddled, exercise-starved depression?

If people feel like they are capable to mountain bike, ski tour, golf, etc., they should be able to partake in outdoor sports while keeping safe distances. I suppose you could make the argument that novices shouldn't try things that might get them hurt, but I don't think we're talking to novices on these forums.
MC, thank you for being the voice of reason.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
campgottagopee wrote
Quoting this before Camp deletes it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Jamesdeluxe wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Quoting this before Camp deletes it.
LOL

I've always said that MC and I agree more than we disagree.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
I've always said that MC and I agree more than we disagree.
This is true (and true about all people), but there are definitely still some disagreements (of varying importance levels) that will keep us arguing on the internet until the Ebola/Swine/Bat/Bird Bubonic Plague kills off the human race in 2043.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
It would be nice if our "leaders" and the media would encourage people to be kind to each other rather than only showing people fighting over toilet paper and buying guns. I think people would respond positively to the encouragement.
They should also stress that social distancing is not about keeping you from "getting" it. It's about slowing the spread to flatten the curve so the health care system is not overwhelmed. And enabling others to get the medical attention they need. Eventually we're all going to be exposed to the virus.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
trackbiker wrote
It would be nice if our "leaders" and the media would encourage people to be kind to each other rather than only showing people fighting over toilet paper and buying guns. I think people would respond positively to the encouragement.
They should also stress that social distancing is not about keeping you from "getting" it. It's about slowing the spread to flatten the curve so the health care system is not overwhelmed. And enabling others to get the medical attention they need. Eventually we're all going to be exposed to the virus.
Being kind doesn't sell, getting people worked up in a frenzy does.

Was in the grocery store yesterday, the paper products isle was completely bare, not a napkin, paper towel or roll of TP to be found. I expect that will change quickly once the horders are done. Chicken was picked over but beef, pork and fish were plentiful. Cold medications were well stocked.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Which is worse.....
Before I say anything let me point out that we have no idea which of you is “right”.  We are living in unprecedented times.  There are no absolute scientific references to prove anything other than social distancing flattens the curve.

That said, I agree with both rivercOil and MC.

rivercOil in the short term, MC in the long term.  While MC is right that society can’t shut down, isolating people forever.....nobody is going to go crazy in a couple of months.  Yes, I know it will be much longer than that for us to “get past” COVID-19, but if you can believe anything coming out of China, yesterday they saw no new domestic cases for the first time since the crisis began.

So, stop being selfish and suck it up for a couple months to flatten the curve, and then slowly start to get back to things that will keep society sane and normal.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
The best way for society to be sane and normal after the crisis is to keep (safe) sane & normal things going through the crisis.

Walks and mountain biking are safe for me and improve my physical & mental health. I'm not going to stop doing them because there is a 0.0001% chance that I might get hurt and need medical attention.

If I lived near a ski area, I might skin, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
nobody is going to go crazy in a couple of months.
Also, are we sure about this?

Some people seem to be breaking after a couple of days.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Some may ride sled
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote
If I remember where you live correctly, I’d say you’re close enough to skin Gore. I wouldn’t count you as a local but you could probably get there and back on one tank of gas and you’re certainly a good enough skier to do it with minimal risk. If I was up there I’d be considering it. Probably a controversial thing to say nowadays, just my opinion.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
123456 ... 17