12345678 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City slickers are using VT has their virus hideout

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
radskier wrote
You’re right, not him. He’s a douche, I’m a prick.
Don't sell yourself short Badskier…You're definitely a douche
oh snap ---
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
riverc0il wrote
Something posted by a guide in North Conway:

.... Even if only one person traveling here is contagious, consider the ramifications for the local population...
The implication here (that this disease is not already in the community) seems dangerously naïve.
I don't think that is the point at all, you are reading a lot into that statement or perhaps taking literally instead of in context. Assume (rightly so) that the virus is already in that community. Creating another touch point for exponential growth could be the touch point that overwhelms the health care system's capacity. Also, I don't have a date on that quote, it is possible that it was written at a time when the virus was probably not yet everywhere. It doesn't matter, the point is still the same: don't make things even worse than they already are.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
radskier wrote
You’re right, not him. He’s a douche, I’m a prick.
Don't sell yourself short Badskier…You're definitely a douche
Ha! He could be both after all, no need to choose
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by riverc0il
People need to remember it's not a death sentence if you get it. Protect the most vulnerable... Use the information we have to keep ourself safe... This is getting to be ridiculous.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
https://www.tetongravity.com/story/news/psa-mountain-towns-are-not-safe-havens-during-covid-19?bwf_dp=t&bwf_entry_id=65777&bwf_token_id=20114&bwf_token=YtKSP3DY3G6F8R4HPjvXl84lp&fbclid=IwAR2YD-JV8WSulLWXOIo4mSFjuUTmmt3s2JvtsUyhAnJEG2xUgsraKjfccu8

Also Keene is asking out of the area hikers to stay closer to home for walks in nature

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2020/03/keene-encourages-traveling-nature-seekers-to-stay-home/

Per this article there are a total of 10 ventilators btw SL and Etown hospitals
https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2020/03/number-of-franklin-co-quarantine-cases-rise/?platform=hootsuite

Based on that the city people who think it’s safer up here are wrong if they do get Covid 19
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Pretty common sense but I don't see what it hurts if someone drives up parks at the trailhead bags a peak gets back in their car and drives home.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I hope he doesn’t mind me repost8ng but Ronkon addressed this exact topic on his FB feed

This is a copy of a post from the Certified Guide and Owner of Cathedral Mountain Guide Service in New Hampshire.
It’s not just the Adirondacks. Covid 19 and Tourist based transmission is a concern in Small  Mountain Towns across the Country.

Between the two hospitals closest to Pinkham Notch, Memorial Hospital in North Conway and Androscoggin Valley Hospital in Berlin, we've got about 50 beds. In Carrol County, where North Conway is located, with a population of about 48,000 we already have 3 cases of COVID-19 unrelated to exposure to other known cases and travel. That means the disease is being transmitted within our community and there are likely many more cases we don't know about.

Two take-aways; coming up to the mountains is not a safe alternative to staying home, and our community is ill equipped to deal with the influx and the inevitable virus commuting alongside.

Let's just troubleshoot here for a minute. Say you come up from Boston and go skiing. You're being responsible, you think, and you don't stop on the drive, just pile out of your car in Pinkham and go ski, alone. No contact with anybody, all clean, until you crater and require a rescue. Suddenly, you are in intimate contact with as many as 20 volunteer rescuers and you're about to be loaded into an ambulance and taken to an ER in a small, rural hospital that's ill equipped to deal with you in a community that already has the coronavirus. The rescue team is going to treat you as if you have COVID-19, but we are already short on masks and may be carrying you in a litter, 6 of us at a time, bumping into each other and sweating. Almost every one of those volunteers will have a family or loved ones they are in inescapably close contact with. The circle of exposure to you, and from you to all of them, is much greater than just those hardy souls in front of you; and potentially much greater when you land in the ER.

We’re all hurting here. This is going to be a tough time for everyone, but the only way we can keep it under control is to stay home. It sucks, but this is the going to be the challenge of our era and it will require a little sacrifice. Please help to protect the vulnerable in our our rural communities - they are people here that I love that may die because of this just as there are in all of your communities. Let’s take this seriously and hope we can look back one day and say we overreacted.

Love to all and thank you.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Well if Ron can set it well jeez then must be gospel. Never did I say it's not dangerous It's a balancing app and I think it has
 swung too far in the wrong direction.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Z
My thinking on this has evolved.  In an earlier post, I was neutral, but now I agree: we should definitely stay home.  I.e. those fortunate enough to own a second home should remain in their primary residence.

I've read newspaper items about people fleeing to the Hamptons or Columbia County and cleaning out the local grocery stores. Leaving nothing for the year-round residents.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-should-blow-up-the-bridges-coronavirus-leads-to-class-warfare-in-hamptons/

Even if all I wanted was to bag Algonquin or Dix after mud season.  An overnight day trip, even if I sleep in my car, I'd be making a couple bathroom stops and fuel stops on the Thruway.  I'd be hard pressed to avoid stopping in to Old Mountain Coffee in Keene to fortify myself for the ride home.

I happened on another parent from Laurel's former school this afternoon.  He's an anaesthesiologist, and he said his hospital isn't ready.

It's not about whether you'll get the disease, but whether you'll bring it with you.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I'm going to avoid going anywhere that the virus does not exist, but realistically it will be everywhere soon.  It's probably already at every ski area town in North America. As far as hospital capacity goes, they are all being managed jointly in NYS now, so no area of NY is better or worse off than any other. Albany less than a 3 hour drive from Saranac Lake.
I'm pretty sure you are safer in the Daks than in the city for now. As this begins to dissipate, I think you will be safer in the areas that were infected earlier and are beginning to recover than in places where it is still growing.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
I've been watching all these locals on the gram skinning/hiking up and then skiing down.  Even worse are those hitting the features in the park.  According to one comment "Hiked and was seshing rails with like 20 heads at Killington"

I get the above points about people getting hurt and adding to the strain on local health care systems, but what rubs me the wrong way is that it seems to be a double standard that only applies to out of towners.  Locals hitting up the backcountry or closed resorts = cool, out of towners doing the same = putting everyone in danger.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Well they get to session you get a respirator. 😷
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Well if Ron can set it well jeez then must be gospel. Never did I say it's not dangerous It's a balancing app and I think it has
I agree with this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote
tjf1967 wrote
I agree with this.
Yeah, me too
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm no scientist, but the countries when new cases are declining have taken some pretty tough measures.  Even Italy is responding tougher than we are and it's not declining there.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
tjf1967 wrote
I agree with this.
+2
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Things are getting weird in our area. Locals, for the most part, are taking social distance seriously, non-essential businesses are closed and people are helping each other out. Yesterday, two tour busses from somewhere in the south showed up and dropped a gang of visitors off at a local grocery store and home improvement store. Both stores had to send staff out to ask the people to wait outside and come in, or not come in at all. Maybe they were on a toilet paper mission?

A friend who lives in one of the smaller towns (likely similar to North Creek) reports that their small grocery store was packed with out-of-towners, holiday weekend style. ATVers and expensive cars were lined up at the local gas station, which the owner is trying to run by herself on reduced hours. This is not a holiday, folks.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sick Bird Rider wrote
This is not a holiday, folks.
Exactly! As concerned as I am for my guys at work I know that closing is 100% the right thing to do. Why I say that is we were busy, real busy. In fact we were on record pace. Reason for that is people aren't doing what is asked of them. If it continues we'll see Hummers with guards patrolling the streets. People really need to take this seriously.

One thing that is very concerning is NYC stealing all our protective supplies from our health care workers on the front line. Fuck that! We need to keep our community safe. It's not all about NYC. Not now. Not ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
campgottagopee wrote
One thing that is very concerning is NYC stealing all our protective supplies from our health care workers on the front line. Fuck that! We need to keep our community safe. It's not all about NYC. Not now. Not ever.
Before Benny brings this point up... you do realize that downstate and NYC's tax revenues are what keep upstate NY afloat? And I don't live in NYC.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
"Stealing"

"Our community"

Us vs. "Those people"

"It's not all about [them]"

It'd be nice if we could talk about this as a human race instead of a collection of subgroups fighting each other for resources (that are temporarily scarce, but won't remain that way for too long).

(Is it possible that there is a greater need in areas of larger population?)

The only finger pointing that should be done is at the Governments that failed to respond to this crisis in a timely manner. The US Federal Government, for one.
12345678 ... 17