|

Re: City slickers are using VT as their virus hideout

Harvey
Administrator
Brownski wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote
Upstate without NYC is North Alabama.

mm
I do remember reading someplace that upstate would be the poorest state in the country if it were separated from metro.
A large state with it's most affluent areas removed, is not affluent.  Seems like a tautology.  I think this would be true of some other states too.  Connecticut is probably the exception, where it's simpler to remove the poorest section (Bridgeport?) from the rest.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MC2 5678F589

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by witch hobble
I've admitted it more than once. You're entitled to your opinion, or if it's trolling, that isn't specifically against any rules here. I'm just putting my own opinion out there as a forum member, not a mod. As a mod I bite my tongue. There are certainly opportunities to troll back, like when listening to crap about NJ from people who live in Schenectady.

My favorite state is NY, but I like NJ too.  I've got a pretty nice life, the only real downside for me is distance from the mountains. At this moment, I am proud of my the state I live, I think we are generally doing our best to care for each other, working hard to keep our distance etc.

FWIW the garden state was unofficially named in the late 1800s, which rich lowland soils, it was a primary source of food for Philadelphia and NYC. The state is still more than 25% farmland.  (I believe NY is more than 50% farms.)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC I think I understand the implications of top chart, upstate population is declining while the NY Metro continues to grow. (?)

What are you saying about Alabama?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
MC I think I understand the implications of top chart, upstate population is declining while the NY Metro continues to grow. (?)

What are you saying about Alabama?
Just giving people data to ponder this statement:
Milo Maltbie wrote
Upstate without NYC is North Alabama.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Agree Milo !  Upstate with the possible exception of minor metro regions within 5-10 minutes of 81/ 90 /87 corridors  is Appalachia North
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Westchester would tend to disagree.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
When “NYC” breaks off it should take up to Poughkeepsie with it, and claim LoHud as it’s ‘suburbs’.  That is where the MNR Hudson line ends.  I guess in Putnam they take up to MCs stomping grounds/the end of the Harlem line.  Especially with all the NYC people looking to move out of the City and to the HV after this COVID experience it just makes sense.  I want to live in a real State, not Abalamicola North, or whatever they call what’s left!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Harve,
When I lived in the "City" of Oxford Miss. there was a joke about,
"What are the 3 biggest cities in Mississippi?"

Answer = Memphis, Mobile, and Nawlinz.
All of 'em overlapping the border with their burbs.

When we crossed the border coming back from Memphis to Oxford ya could feel ya wuz getting behind the "Magnolia Curtain".
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
 (I believe NY is more than 50% farms.)
One thing I enjoy about NYS is how diverse it is. We have one of the greatest cities in the world, the finger lakes region, and the North country. As for farms, farm equipment run up and down my road as much as cars/trucks do.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
campgottagopee wrote
One thing I enjoy about NYS is how diverse it is. We have one of the greatest cities in the world, the finger lakes region, and the North country.
+1
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
campgottagopee wrote
One thing I enjoy about NYS is how diverse it is. We have one of the greatest cities in the world, the finger lakes region, and the North country.
That's what I tell people out west. Because it's such an oddly-shaped state, we have everything except a desert, or at least it feels that way. When my wife and I went to Maui for our honeymoon (her choice, not mine), I told her that NYS has much better waterfalls.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
NY rocks, much more interesting geologically than PA, Great Lakes, Finger Lakes, St Lawrence, Susquehanna, Daks, Cats, Gunk's. I love NY, even if when you tell someone you're from NY, they assume you're from NYC.

I grew up when Binghamton was a high tech hot spot, IBM, Link, GE, Lockheed Martin. We always assumed we had a Russian ICBM aimed at us. Ah, the good old days.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Agree : Nys has got it all as far as natural features and opportunities for diversity of recreational and cultural interests. Beautiful Mountains and Lakes  , The 1000 islands region, pastoral and quaint villages and towns and the Ocean and NYC ..

The economy however is not as strong above TILNOW 's southern border with the exception of the Puzzle Palace on The Hudson ( the recession proof duchy that is the Capital district ) 😉

( TILNOW **  ....There Is Life North Of Westchester ) a fictitious region 😱WE in upstate SUNY colleges always used when lobbying THE  legislature
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
campgottagopee wrote
That's what I tell people out west. Because it's such an oddly-shaped state, we have everything except a desert, or at least it feels that way. When my wife and I went to Maui for our honeymoon (her choice, not mine), I told her that NYS has much better waterfalls.
Actually, on Springfield Road in Upper Jay, there's a small stretch of land that might qualify as desert.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
. I love NY, even if when you tell someone you're from NY, they assume you're from NYC.
Ain't that the truth. When I tell people I've only been to NYC 3 times in my life they look at me like I have 2 heads.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
Cornhead wrote
. I love NY, even if when you tell someone you're from NY, they assume you're from NYC.
Ain't that the truth. When I tell people I've only been to NYC 3 times in my life they look at me like I have 2 heads.
More fun then that is when NYC people try to figure out where things are upstate. Where’s Saratoga? Someplace near Buffalo, right?

I remember one of my college roommates trying to describe a trip he took up the Taconic to Albany. He was trying to explain how he got lost on the way and I asked if he remembered driving over the Hudson to try and figure out where he went wrong. He was confused by the question so I explained that Albany is west of the river and Troy is East. He got a funny, angry look on his face and said “Hold on! Albany is in Jersey!!???” He was serious. I died laughing.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Brownski wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Cornhead wrote
More fun then that is when NYC people try to figure out where things are upstate. Where’s Saratoga? Someplace near Buffalo, right?

I remember one of my college roommates trying to describe a trip he took up the Taconic to Albany. He was trying to explain how he got lost on the way and I asked if he remembered driving over the Hudson to try and figure out where he went wrong. He was confused by the question so I explained that Albany is west of the river and Troy is East. He got a funny, angry look on his face and said “Hold on! Albany is in Jersey!!???” He was serious. I died laughing.
That is hilarious!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: City slickers are using VT has their virus hideout

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Harvey wrote
The whole "keep your germs off my land" thing pushes my buttons.
Me too.

mm said it well earlier:
Milo Maltbie wrote
It’s a good idea to get out of town.  Covid  is everywhere and you can’t close the borders of Vermont. The sooner this resolves in the city the better it will be for all of us, including people in rural areas. It’s a huge mistake to make this an us versus them situation.

mm
This is a "humanity" situation. If people feel safer in their mountain house, you'd be a dick to tell them to stay off their own land. What are we doing here?
Seems like NYS is telling people to stay away now
1 ... 1314151617