Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City slickers are using VT as their virus hideout

Peter Minde
This post was updated on .
witch hobble wrote
Harvey wrote
I see VT plates here, on some pretty fancy cars.  Doctors and lawyers trying to save on car insurance?

Maybe it's obvious, this issue triggers me.
You’re probably pre-disposed to seeing the green plates.

And, I’m sorry to say......and don’t want to further trigger you.....but in the hierarchy of out of state plates, yours would rank almost universally low 🤷🏼‍♂️ across wide swathes of the country. Again......very sorry.
New Jersey.  Only the strong survive.  A lot of my training happens near a Superfund site.

Harv I agree, there are vehicles with VT and FL tags here, but the license plate frame they were bought from Ray Catena in Edison NJ.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
It is really divisive up here.

In my camp director friend's case, if people knew the back story they would be wanting to give him a hug and write him a cheque. The loss of a summer camp season is devastating to a camp not only financially but emotionally for their staff and family community. Think about this: in 106 years of operation, covering two world wars and a variety of other calamitous world events, this is the first time his camp has had to close for a season.

It is also a huge hit to the local communities who support the camps in their area through supplies, staffing, and much more. For our business alone, it will be somewhere in the neighbourhood of a quarter-million dollars in lost revenue from camps not buying equipment, renting canoes and camping gear, hiring guides, sending their staff on shopping expeditions, etc., etc.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
Harvey wrote
I see VT plates here, on some pretty fancy cars.  
You’re probably pre-disposed to seeing the green plates.
Don’t you think this is what’s happening with NY and NJ plates in New England? That’s my point more or less. License plates don’t mean anything.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Well, they do, sometimes. The reason you see Florida plates on some cars in Ct., and other states in the region is because Florida has no state income tax, and doesnt tax cars as property, like they do here in Ct.. You have to live there more than 50% of the year, though.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by witch hobble
I get it, forums are for trolling. Is it possible you believe you are telling me something I don't know? Part of the mission of NYSB is to bridge the divide, I'm fully aware of the prejudice.

The air quality in NNJ is a big part of the standard troll.  One of the biggest causes of that is the refining that happens in Elizabeth. It's a "logical" spot because it's so close to the port of Newark where the tankers come in. If you'd like to pay to get your fossil fuel from somewhere else (next closest spot is Illinois I think?) I'm ok with that.

NJ has a lot going for it, and I'm more fond of it than I was 10 years ago. The amount of open space in such a dense state is admirable. That doesn't come cheap, and resident consistently prioritize it in referendums.

As previously stated, I'm also proud to call Johnsburg my second home. I feel welcome there.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Hey, maybe when NYC splits off from the rest of the NY it can take the “armpit of NY” portions along I-95 that give Jersey a bad name with them?  Would give the added benefit of having the Jets/Giants actually be NY teams.  The vast majority of NJ is beautiful.  They don’t call it the Garden State for nuthin’!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Hey, maybe when NYC splits off from the rest of the NY it can take the “armpit of NY” portions along I-95 that give Jersey a bad name with them?  Would give the added benefit of having the Jets/Giants actually be NY teams.  The vast majority of NJ is beautiful.  They don’t call it the Garden State for nuthin’!
I like this idea. I assume downstate/northeast NJ will be called New York. What should we call upstate?
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
License plates don’t mean anything.
As I said in a previous post, they really do for a lot of people. They are geographical markers, if not cultural markers.  

Cars are the ppe (or sometimes a forcefield) that we wear when we travel, either to familiar places or to new places.  And a license plate is like a postmark on an envelope. Or a prominent tattoo. It’s there for a reason, but also there for people to notice. And they do.  
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Jeez Harv. Obviously this really does trigger you. Not everything is a troll. And if you had to call someone out every time something self evident or redundant was smugly posted on this forum, you’d be even busier than you already are.

Aside from a couple Action Park trips, a Dead show, a Red Wings-Devils game, and one really drunk night in Hoboken, I don’t know shit about New Jersey.  But I’ve guided people from there down rivers, splinted their Injuries on the sides of ski trails, and even rented apartments to them. So I’d like to think I help bridge the divide too......even if I’m also a wise ass.
Reply | Threaded
|

greif
In reply to this post by Brownski
re;I like this idea. I assume downstate/northeast NJ will be called New York. What should we call upstate?

- How about New New York?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Just Upstate

That works
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Upstate without NYC is North Alabama.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Milo Maltbie wrote

mm
Pennsyltuckytier
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote

mm
And without a top line college football team.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote

mm

mm
Or top NFL team for that matter.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Milo Maltbie wrote

mm
I do remember reading someplace that upstate would be the poorest state in the country if it were separated from metro.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Passed this van on my way home Monday after a fun weekend in the ADKs:
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Milo Maltbie wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote

mm

mm
Or top NFL team for that matter.

mm
You guys are forgetting the Bills, and Syracuse basketball.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Harvey wrote
I see VT plates here, on some pretty fancy cars.  Doctors and lawyers trying to save on car insurance?

The sales tax on cars purchased and registered in VT used to be something like 5% or $250.00, which ever was less. This drove people who purchased expensive cars to figure out how to register the cars in VT. I knew of a lawyer (NJ resident) who registered his Porsche Turbo at the Sugarbush Access Road and got a Post Office Box near Sugarbush for mail. He did not own any property in VT, but he was a seasonal renter at Sugarbush. The sales tax choice no longer exists.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
You guys are forgetting the Bills, and Syracuse basketball.
No I’m not.

mm
1 ... 121314151617