classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
329 messages Options
1 ... 11121314151617
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: City slickers are using VT has their virus hideout

campgottagopee
I'd like to think that letter is common sense to most.

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Excellent letter from Town of J burg . THAT My friends is serious SERVANT LEADERSHIP !  Bravo !!!L

Exactly the style of leadership we should be seeing across the nation ....WE  is ALL of us ...it is an American problem .Americans pull together not huddle in fear .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Nicely stated!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: City slickers are using VT as their virus hideout

Darkside Shaman
This post was updated on .
The shit's getting real up here! This gentleman is a local that had not been going anywhere except for groceries, the virus is not only out there, it's here... Please be safe everyone!

https://poststar.com/news/local/north-creek-man-was-careful-showed-no-alarming-symptoms-but-is-now-fighting-coronavirus-in/article_ae7045bc-33ca-5aa1-b74f-daab3b4365d8.html
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This NYTimes article is wild. Rich people who want... sympathy, I guess?.... for their decision to flee NYC and ride out the pandemic in tropical paradises:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/11/style/they-fled-the-coronavirus-now-theyre-in-scenic-limbo.html
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Karma 🙄 a hell of their own making .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
With NYC beginning to recover and their hospitals returning to normal, do all the block-the-thruway people agree that we are all in this together now?

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
We're in it together as long as we stay apart
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hey, Camp, did the missus end up going down to the city to help? I heard the city has been sending city income tax bills to all the out of town nurses. Can you confirm?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
This NYTimes article is wild. Rich people who want... sympathy, I guess?.... for their decision to flee NYC and ride out the pandemic in tropical paradises:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/11/style/they-fled-the-coronavirus-now-theyre-in-scenic-limbo.html
Yea hard to feel too bad for that.  I am getting this right? ... You snuck under the wire before travel was restricted and now you are stuck somewhere.  Did you think the pandemic would blow over in a few weeks?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Hey, Camp, did the missus end up going down to the city to help? I heard the city has been sending city income tax bills to all the out of town nurses. Can you confirm?
No she never went. Like I said her Gram is what kept her from going. She has a couple friends that went down so I'll see what they have to say.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
CNBC article talks about impacts on Adk and Catskills among other places:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/22/as-cabin-fever-sets-in-americans-vacation-habits-are-changing.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This issue emerges in many different ways.

A friend of mine is the director and co-owner of a kid's summer camp up here in the Hinterlands. He is American, from Rochester area, but chose to spend the winter up here living with his Hinterlandian girlfriend. When the lockdown hit, he decided to stay and is now kind of stuck. Overnight summer camps have been shut down for the summer, so it is helpful for him to be here and keep an eye on things, do maintenance, plan for the future, etc. If he goes back to the Excited States, he won't be allowed back into Canada until the border is opened up again.

So, point is he's been driving around our town lately in a vehicle with NY plates and told me yesterday that he's been getting dirty looks and snarky comments from locals. I told him that he should get a bumper sticker that says "I'm stuck here!"

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Sick Bird Rider wrote
This issue emerges in many different ways.

A friend of mine is the director and co-owner of a kid's summer camp up here in the Hinterlands. He is American, from Rochester area, but chose to spend the winter up here living with his Hinterlandian girlfriend. When the lockdown hit, he decided to stay and is now kind of stuck. Overnight summer camps have been shut down for the summer, so it is helpful for him to be here and keep an eye on things, do maintenance, plan for the future, etc. If he goes back to the Excited States, he won't be allowed back into Canada until the border is opened up again.

So, point is he's been driving around our town lately in a vehicle with NY plates and told me yesterday that he's been getting dirty looks and snarky comments from locals. I told him that he should get a bumper sticker that says "I'm stuck here!"
That’s really ignorant of them and it only takes about a half second of thought and a smidgeon of imagination to avoid. I made this point on TGR when many of the Vermonters started including a snotty comment about seeing out of state plates every time they parked at a trailhead. It means nothing. When I lived in VT for six months I had NY plates and an Alaska license. And not for nothing, every time I drive up to Albany I see plenty of VT plates so that’s not any guarantee of being virus free or anything either.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Brownski wrote
That’s really ignorant of them and it only takes about a half second of thought and a smidgeon of imagination to avoid. I made this point on TGR when many of the Vermonters started including a snotty comment about seeing out of state plates every time they parked at a trailhead. It means nothing. When I lived in VT for six months I had NY plates and an Alaska license. And not for nothing, every time I drive up to Albany I see plenty of VT plates so that’s not any guarantee of being virus free or anything either.
Totally agree, Brownski. If you don't know people's story, don't be critical. It is right up there with mask-shaming. Things would be much better if everybody tried to be a little nicer to one another. It also doesn't take much of brain to figure out that a car with US plates is here because the person crossed due to essential travel or lives here. There were reports earlier of people getting harangued because they had Ontario plates and plate frames with southern dealer names on them. My car has a Toronto area dealer plate frame and I considered removing it. But I didn't and have had no issues.

I recently saw a pickup with Minnesota plates parked at the grocery store. That would be an unusual sight at the best of time. Wonder what his story was?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
License plates are cultural markers and convey a certain status.....of location, which can be used for inclusion or exclusion.

You New Yorkahs just happen to live in an incredibly culturally, geographically, and just generally diverse state.  And a very large one. So more people blend in when you are in your home state (even if you are hours away from your “home) and when you are out of state, there are many more of you to stick out. Vermont is like a tiny monoculture by comparison.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I see VT plates here, on some pretty fancy cars.  Doctors and lawyers trying to save on car insurance?

Maybe it's obvious, this issue triggers me.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Harvey wrote
I see VT plates here, on some pretty fancy cars.  Doctors and lawyers trying to save on car insurance?

Maybe it's obvious, this issue triggers me.
You’re probably pre-disposed to seeing the green plates.

And, I’m sorry to say......and don’t want to further trigger you.....but in the hierarchy of out of state plates, yours would rank almost universally low 🤷🏼‍♂️ across wide swathes of the country. Again......very sorry.
1 ... 11121314151617