Has anyone told the Amish?
Hold on. I’ll text them
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

warp daddy
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Up three in Tompkins County.  In a week.  I work at Cornell.  My dad is 79.  I  lost my mom in September.  I will be isolating myself from him as much as possible for the next two weeks. I can't handle losing both of my parents in one year. He is upset, but fortunately, migration (bird) is happening, so we can go birding together.

Stay safe, y'all.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but the term "social distancing" has been around for a while amongst CDC staff.  The last Guidelines for dealing with a flu pandemic was issued in 2017.  Studies related to the experience with H1N1 were the basis for updating the recommendations made in 2007.  There are research reports about the effectiveness of social distancing in helping to deal with H1N1.

CDC Community Mitigation Guidelines for US, 2017
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/rr/rr6601a1.htm

Here is a good essay on social distancing that was written last week (things change SO fast).  The writer is an MD, MPH who is the Exec. Dir. of Ariadne Labs, a "health system innovation center at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health."  Needless to say, #1 and #4 is happening in many states this week.  Up to 12 as of March 17.  Essay includes links to supporting info.

March 13, 2020 (updated as needed), Medium (blog for Ariadne Labs in Boston)
Social Distancing: This is Not a Snow Day

Key Points
1. We need to push our local, state, and national leaders to close ALL schools and public spaces and cancel all events and public gatherings now.
2. No kid playdates, parties, sleepovers, or families/friends visiting each other’s houses and apartments.
3. Take care of yourself and your family, but maintain social distance.
4. Reduce the frequency of going to stores, restaurants, and coffee shops for the time being.
5. If you are sick, isolate yourself, stay home, and contact a medical professional.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
marznc wrote
CDC Community Mitigation Guidelines for US, 2017

Key Points
1. We need to push our local, state, and national leaders to close ALL schools and public spaces and cancel all events and public gatherings now.
2. No kid playdates, parties, sleepovers, or families/friends visiting each other’s houses and apartments.
3. Take care of yourself and your family, but maintain social distance.
4. Reduce the frequency of going to stores, restaurants, and coffee shops for the time being.
5. If you are sick, isolate yourself, stay home, and contact a medical professional.
It was only about a week ago, maybe less, that people on this forum were still thinking this thing was media hype. And there are still a lot of people not taking this seriously. I know people who went on a St. Patricks Day bar crawl just this past Sunday, two days after this was declared a national emergency.

Fortunately the Stable Genius finally acknowledged we don't have this under control. Then promptly blamed everyone else and said he know from the start it was a pandemic. Even FAUX news has finally realized there's a problem, now that it appears the economy is on the brink of an extremely painful recession.

Mnuchin, who is semi-qualifed for his role as Treasury Secretary said yesterday this could lead to 20% unemployment if the mitigation efforts aren't passed quickly.

This. This is what happens when you fail to listen to experts, and follow your hunch instead.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Willy has spoken.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
Willy has spoken.
CampPee, how many times do I have to tell you I'm flattered, but I'm not going on a date with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Ahhhhh, shucks
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
  I know people who went on a St. Patricks Day bar crawl just this past Sunday, two days after this was declared a national emergency.
I went out to dinner on Monday.

Would you like to judge me too?
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
billyymc wrote
  I know people who went on a St. Patricks Day bar crawl just this past Sunday, two days after this was declared a national emergency.
I went out to dinner on Monday.

Would you like to judge me too?
Eating out right now isn't the smartest thing, but it isn't a bar crawl either is it? I saw pics of the bar crawl - crowded dive bars, lots of people, group pictures with arms around each other.

I really don't know why you have a such a hard on for me CampPee, but whatever it is get over it dude.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote

Fortunately the Stable Genius finally acknowledged we don't have this under control. Then promptly blamed everyone else and said he know from the start it was a pandemic. Even FAUX news has finally realized there's a problem, now that it appears the economy is on the brink of an extremely painful recession.

Mnuchin, who is semi-qualifed for his role as Treasury Secretary said yesterday this could lead to 20% unemployment if the mitigation efforts aren't passed quickly.

This. This is what happens when you fail to listen to experts, and follow your hunch instead.
Harv - ban this guy, he's getting way to political.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Look we all know half the world blames the prez 100% and half the world thinks his response has been excellent.

Maybe some see a middle ground. I do.

Let it go. We all know what we all think.

Time to focus on what we have in common, not what divides us.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Look we all know half the world blames the prez 100% and half the world thinks his response has been excellent.

Let it go. We all know what we all think.

I do hope individuals can stop sniping at each other here.  Otherwise I won't be posting on this forum until the fall.

WHO and CDC knew what needed to happen.  Leaders is many countries didn't act until too late.  In the U.S. we are lucky that some leaders at the local and state level did act sooner rather than later.  Now the messages from political leaders are becoming more consistent across N. America.  That's obvious as all ski areas/resorts close prematurely.

Can we please focus on where the world stands NOW for COVID-19 and what can be done to flatten the curve, not what didn't happen?

Hand washing . . . often . . . works to slow the infection rate.  So does social distancing.  Goal is to buy time and not become like Italy.  The number of deaths there may soon exceed all of China.  Community spread is a reality pretty much everywhere in N. America.  COVID is just too contagious without symptoms when people aren't being super careful.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
marznc wrote
Can we please focus on where the world stands NOW for COVID-19 and what can be done to flatten the curve, not what didn't happen?
Like it or not, these are all political statements, too.

If your position is "let's not focus on the past and instead come together over where we are now", what you are really saying is: "there is no need to hold anyone accountable for any mistakes they made, even if they were caused by stupidity, overconfidence, and science denial"

As I said before, it's impossible to discuss a pandemic, an economic meltdown, or a stock market crash without veering into politics.

Either let people talk freely in the OT, or reopen PolitiCrap and dump it all in there.

But acting as if we have to ignore the screwups that led us here is like having an employee that you keep having to correct, fix, and cajole to do the job better (then coming in every day and saying "let's start over from the beginning!"). Someone's past mistakes inform their future actions. The administration, Conservative media, etc. love it when people move on and forget their shitty behavior, even as they refuse to "move on" from their imagined shibboleths (how long did "Benghazi" last?). Check the date on this one:
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Either let people talk freely in the OT, or reopen PolitiCrap and dump it all in there.

No politics in the OT, imo, is very simple. Hopefully this thread doesn't get locked due to only a few who can't quite grasp the idea.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JasonWx
These are unprecedented times, even for the experts. Nobody has seen anything like this, even the experts.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote

Everyone is focusing on this right now. Hindsight? It's easy to point in that direction.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
No politics in the OT, imo, is very simple. Hopefully this thread doesn't get locked due to only a few who can't quite grasp the idea.
Haha, fine...

WITHOUT GETTING INTO POLITICS, if you had an employee, let's call him "Don" who came in and bragged about grabbing women by the pussy and created constant problems with his racism, greed, lawlessness, and stupidity, would you fire him and be done with him? Or would you come in every day, month after month and say: "Okay, Donny, new day, new you, right? You're going to be less crass, less rapey, follow the law, stop stealing, and make better, smarter decisions, right? I'm rooting for you!"
1 ... 567891011 ... 63