classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1254 messages Options
12345 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

PeeTex
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Someone has stolen all the sanitizer from our local hospital, as well as, they are running low on certain protective supplies.

This is going to get real crazy.
Sucking favages
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
On the bright side, traffic has been very manageable the last couple days
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Seen that. Basically everyone is going to get it. Or the number is fixed, it's just the timing.

Self preservation, run right out now and start kissing strangers.
Harv - I don’t think that graphic says we are all going to get this. If that were true, even 1% mortality of the entire US population would be 3 million people. And the current mortality rate is projected over 3%!

What I believe that graphic represents is an estimate of the rate of transmission assuming that efforts are taken to contain the spread. I believe the article it came from (or a similar one I read with a similar graphic) projected infections of perhaps 1% of the US population by mid to late May. That’s 3.3 million people. Assuming a mortality rate of 2% would be 66,000 deaths.

But we’ve been doing very little to stem the spread. Our leadership has screwed the pooch.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Containment won't reduce the number?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Harvey wrote
I’ll see if I can go back and find the source I read. I believe this projection was based on the current level of containment efforts.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Harv - I don’t think that graphic says we are all going to get this. If that were true, even 1% mortality of the entire US population would be 3 million people. And the current mortality rate is projected over 3%!

What I believe that graphic represents is an estimate of the rate of transmission assuming that efforts are taken to contain the spread. I believe the article it came from (or a similar one I read with a similar graphic) projected infections of perhaps 1% of the US population by mid to late May. That’s 3.3 million people. Assuming a mortality rate of 2% would be 66,000 deaths.

But we’ve been doing very little to stem the spread. Our leadership has screwed the pooch.
The true "case fatality rate" is still pretty unknown.  So far, most deaths have been of people over 60 with previous health issues.  The range seems to be from 1% to 5%, depending on geographic location, age, and other factors.  But what's clear is that when there are too many serious cases at the same time, as has happened in Italy, then the health care system gets overwhelmed.  One hospital had 300 serious cases a few days ago.  Meaning people who needed ICU level care.  Know any hospitals with that many ICU beds?  Admissions were running 10-15 per day.  People with minor symptoms from COVID-19 were asked to stay home.  People with other serious health problems . . . aren't getting the usual care.

The Biogen meeting of about 175 people in Boston resulted in multiple cases in more than one state.  One man went from Boston to NC and then drove home to IN, where he tested positive after having symptoms.  Think about how many people he may have infected.

The horizontal line on Flatten the Curve represents the ability of a health care system to deal with patients during a short period of time.  With a relatively long incubation period, up to 5 days with no symptoms, a relatively healthy carrier who has an 80% chance of only minor symptoms going around could infect a fair number of more at-risk people.  15% are expected to have moderate symptoms.  It's the 5% who end up with severe symptoms (not enough oxygen due to pneumonia) who are likely to die if they don't get full ICU care quickly.  Assuming they don't die quickly, they need that level of care for 2-4 weeks.

https://www.flattenthecurve.com
i
EDIT: FlattenTheCurve info provided by someone with a Masters in Public Health who is an Asst. Prof. at Oregon State School of Public Health.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Several areas are well past "containment."  Estimate is that COVID-19 has been in WA and CA for weeks.  Sacramento has moved to "mitigation" because they can't have so many exposed healthcare workers not working because they have "close contact" and get asked to self-isolate.  Could be thousands of carriers as of early March based on initial undetected cases from January or February.

March 8, 2020 (being updated), NY Times (may have paywall)
U.S. Health Experts Say Strictor Measures Are Required to Limit Coronavirus’s Spread
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/health/coronavirus-spread-united-states.html
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by billyymc
i can't even think anymore.  Cornell has been insane.  I want to go crawl in a corner and cry.  I lost my brain cells around 11:30 this morning.  I think I can handle the cleaning the litterbox.  Maybe.

However, this was a great article.  Thanks, SBR.

I don't normally follow health stuff.  I think the flu vaccine is bullshit, although I get one every year because it's free at work, and it makes my parents happy  This is serious.  I am even wondering whether I will ski this weekend.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm skiing.

The hype is crazy.

Fuck it, I could get hit by a bus in 3 weeks too.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
You know, I probably will, too... ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
wonderpony wrote
You know, I probably will, too... ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
You may want to look into the testing capability of your primary health care provider and local medical services. Here is a story, posted today, from a friend of mine in Maryland. He is my age, 62, so in the danger zone of old-ish people:

SBR's friend wrote
A cautionary tale about testing for COVID-19

Towards the end of February, I spent two long days at a Fly Fishing trade event, standing in a ballroom at the BWI Airport Marriott meeting and greeting hundreds of people – at least two of whom I know were international travelers. Five days later I developed a fever, runny nose, sore throat and a hacking, painful cough.

After three days of steadily worsening symptoms, I went to my primary care physician on the 2nd of March. I tested negative for influenza A&B, but they were concerned. They felt I met almost all of the multiple criteria for COVID testing – and if they’d had a test they would have administered it. But they didn’t have any tests and couldn’t refer me to the CDC and MD Dept. of Health for COVID testing because at the time my 100.2deg fever was below the 101deg threshold criteria. (My resting temp is normally 97.6, so in relative terms, I was already there – but their criteria are absolute)

Since my Primary Care folks couldn’t test me, they sent me home with a slew of scrips for decongestants, inhalers, and antibiotics in case something bacterial developed, and told me to self-isolate for at least three days and if I got worse, to go straight to the ER. Well, it’s March 11th and I’m better, but the congestion and hacking cough are still there.

Ordinarily, I’d say it’s another bout of winter crud and keep on keepin’ on.

Well, there’s a complicating factor. My brother-in-law is a Leukemia survivor, and after his bone marrow transplant last fall he has virtually no immune system. He’s rightly petrified of the COVID-19, as are we - my wife and I are next in line as caregivers if his family comes down with influenza, or heaven forbid, COVID-19.

Since I’d heard millions of tests are now in circulation, I thought I’d rule out COVID-19 so I’m not the bringer of death to my brother-in-law if it’s my turn to ‘help’.
Ha.
Ha ha.
Ha ha ha.

Called my primary care physician’s office:
“We don’t have those tests, and if the tests ever become available in Maryland we will not be doing the testing – we will only do consults by video chat from your computer and if you have all the symptoms we will refer you to a County Health center or the ER for a test. What symptoms do you have…?”
So I explain the fact I was in the office a week+ ago, the situation with my ongoing infection, and my interest in receiving a test to guard against bringing death to my immune-empty bro. After a lengthy discussion, they referred me to the County Health Dept.

Called the County Health department general info line:
[Explains health issues and concern about transmission to Leukemia patient]
“We don’t have any tests. You should call your primary health care provider.”
I explain the Primary Care office referred me to them. So they told me to call 211 for more info.

Called the 211 info line:
“We don’t have any tests. You should call your primary health care provider.”
I explain the Primary Care office referred me to the County, who then referred me to them. The 211 operator then refers me to the ‘Health Maryland’ phone number – a statewide support line.

Called the Health Maryland phone support line:
“We don’t have the tests. You should call your County Health department.”
I explain the County Health office referred me to 211, and 211 then referred me to them. Health Maryland then gives me a different number at the County Health department.

Maybe we’re getting somewhere?

Called the County Health phone support line:
[listens to 9-stage phone menu, tries three separate links to Public Health Support, Community Health Interaction, and Influenza Information lines. End up with another number on the automated list for the local Influenza Vaccine and Public Health Center.]

Called the County Influenza Vaccine and Public Health Center:
“How did you get this number? We don’t have the tests. You should call your Primary Care provider.”
I explain the Primary Care physician referred me to County Health department which referred me to 211, who referred me to Health Maryland who then gave me a different number at the County and now I ended up with their number.
“Well, with your brother an all you’re certainly doing the right thing asking for a test. But we don’t have the tests, and we won’t get the tests at this location even if or when they’re available. We don’t have any info about the tests, at all. But the plan is once tests are available to distribute tests to primary care offices and local hospitals that are certified by state health officials to administer the tests. If you want you can go to the ER and try to get tested. You’ll need to document the names of all the people you’ve been in contact with over the few last weeks, particularly people from the public event at the airport, and where they were before you had contact with them. But since you don’t have at least a 101deg temperature you’re not presenting with all the symptoms and don’t meet the criteria. So you probably won’t get tested anyway.”
[Well, regardless…if I didn’t have COVID before I spent hours waiting for a test in the ER, it’s likely I would after that experience.]
“My advice is wait another week and if your symptoms haven’t gotten better you should go to back to your primary care physician. Maybe they can refer you for a test at the hospital. Or in another week you’ll be past the 14-day isolation period and should probably be fine. But if it were me, I’d wait a couple weeks and see if tests are available before you have any contact with your brother. Or go to the hospital where he’s being treated and work through those physicians.
[That hospital’s in Rochester.]
Oh. Well, good luck.”

Anyone telling you COVID testing is going well hasn’t tried getting a test in Maryland.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
This is why I want to crawl in a hole and cry.  I posted this thread on Saturday.  It went dormant.  Four days later, this is where we are.  And, it's only going to get worse.  Please keep the information coming. Its very helpful.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
campgottagopee wrote
I'm skiing.

The hype is crazy.

Fuck it, I could get hit by a bus in 3 weeks too.
We have a family acquaintance who was run over and killed by a bus in a supermarket parking lot. All in on the "may get hit by a bus" thing. Not choosing to live a life of fear. F it...I'm going skiing this weekend as well.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Last weekend, when I skied both days, felt like a vacation from coronavirus. I didn't think about it at all.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-suspends-2019-20-season-after-jazz-player-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
This is why I want to crawl in a hole and cry.  I posted this thread on Saturday.  It went dormant.  Four days later, this is where we are.  And, it's only going to get worse.  Please keep the information coming. Its very helpful.

WP
There is a lot of bad news about this but also reasons to be cautiously optimistic and not give up hope. Here is a sensible outlook (IMHO) on travel during the CV situation:

Why I'm Not Canceling My Travel Plans for COVID-19
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
12345 ... 63