|

Re: Coronavirus

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

marznc
Was happy to discover that the reason Idaho doesn't have any cases yet may be because they are on top of the situation.  Have been testing for at least a week, maybe a little more.  Following up potential cases even when not serious.  They know sooner or later there will be a first case, but are much more likely to find it soon enough to prevent "community spread" for weeks unchecked.

March 12, 2020
https://www.idahostatesman.com/living/health-fitness/article241141751.html
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Utah and SLC are trying to stem the tide.  Already 5 detected cases.  The Salt Lake Tribune has a good editorial from the Governor, Lt. Governor, and leaders of health care systems in Utah.  Good and short descriptions of why COVID-19 is not like the seasonal flu, and why "social distancing" matters in order to "flatten the curve" so that the local hospitals are not overwhelmed with people needing ICU care.

Granted that most of those people needing ventilators will be over 60, but presumably their younger relatives would want them to be treated instead of having them die at home of pneumonia.  Although the real question is what happens to the people who usually end up at an ER or in ICU for reasons having nothing to do with COVID-19.  It's not as if those places are usually empty just waiting for patients.

March 12, 2020
https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2020/03/12/commentary-how-utah-can/
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Due to corporate efficiency, the number of hospital beds per capita in the US is one of the lowest in developed countries.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
Due to corporate efficiency, the number of hospital beds per capita in the US is one of the lowest in developed countries.
Do you consider that to be a positive development?
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Short article about the comparison of actions taken, or not, in Philadelphia and St. Louis at the start of the 1928 flu epidemic.  Bottom line is that St. Louis acted quicker with unpopular restrictions are had far fewer deaths per capita than Philly.  I learned that the lesson learned was not applied during 1957 and 1968 flu outbreaks.  Somehow not surprised.

https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I linked this in the Coronaskiing thread earlier....good study!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by marznc
As a Dad :

I am concerned for my son a medical professional in NYC who headed Directly into the problem not only during 9/11 , AND two hurricanes and NOW this ?.

He is riding the subway an hr each way from the Upper West side  to serve his patients  in the Bronx , knowing that he very well MAY get the virus and be Quarantined at the hospital,  BUT this is what medical pros ,law enforcement , and first responders  Do .

His son , my grandson is doing similar work in Vt, but can walk to work and the spred there is not a major issue
I also have another grandson riding the train an hr in metro west Boston to do cyber security work for a major chain .

To say i am concerned is putting it mildly , but these and MANY MANy  others are putting themselves on the line to serve the greater  good , keep,them in our prayers .

We will get through this and we need to find leaders that instill confidence and competence

Thanks for listening to an Old Man's  thought this am
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy

Now on a lighter note : Got MY panic room ready !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Not a huge deal but us this thread for all things Corona except skiing related issues.

warp daddy wrote
ROFLMOA

We've were running low on TP, and a nice lady at the store gave us a tip:

Stocking happens overnight, come first thing in the morning.

Score!  We have TP.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Some good news for us pet owners

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Shit man, I just got back from letting my dogs out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
The toilet paper crisis is baffling to me. Does Covid-19 give you the shits or do people just go through toilet paper more when they self-isolate?

In Hinterlandian news, our Prime Minister and his wife have gone into self-isolation and she has tested positive for the virus. Mild symptoms for her but he is running the country from home. They recently returned from an event in the UK.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
UVM Study abroad students are being sent home
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
UVM Study abroad students are being sent home
Some other colleges cancelled their programs in Europe a couple weeks ago.  Especially those in southern Europe.  Some students flew home.  Others stayed in Europe and went traveling elsewhere. <sigh>

Young adults can be clueless.  Read a story on another ski forum of an airline employee (a friend's daughter) who is being laid off for six weeks.  She decided to book a vacation . . . to Europe!

I'm very glad my daughter is in college and only a few hours away.  Instead of at a boarding school in Boston, where she was a year ago.  That school allowed international students to stay on campus for spring break.  Not sure what they'll do next since most of the students are day students.

We got lucky that my daughter can be home for as long as needed.  We're going to host a good friend as well who didn't go home over spring break.  Regular spring break was this week only.  Now the earliest target date for return is April 4.  With online classes starting March 23.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
The toilet paper crisis is baffling to me. Does Covid-19 give you the shits or do people just go through toilet paper more when they self-isolate?
No clue.  Rare to have diarrhea with COVID-19.

Was really crazy in Australia.  I think there was some thinking about people worrying about TP supplies that are shipped from China.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
I think people are worried about being confined at home, and they know they are going to poop?

It's obviously a universal fear, the shortages are everywhere.

Sort of ridiculous, but Zelda and I made a list of everything that was out of stock, and are trying to buy that stuff.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote

Sort of ridiculous, but Zelda and I made a list of everything that was out of stock, and are trying to buy that stuff.

I don't think that's ridiculous at all. There's nothing wrong with being prepared. What's wrong is if you were to start yelling at store employees because they were out of TP. I witnessed that yesterday. Couldn't believe it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote

I don't think that's ridiculous at all. There's nothing wrong with being prepared. What's wrong is if you were to start yelling at store employees because they were out of TP. I witnessed that yesterday. Couldn't believe it.
That is ridiculous. There’s more TP on the way guys. Try to relax
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
1234567 ... 63