1234 ... 14
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fall Weather 2016

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Interesting tidbit on the weather report today. Weather dude was talking about global warming temp increases in this area and he said that the adks had risen more than their surrounding environs, i.e. Tug hill, Mohawk Valley and western VT.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fall Weather 2016

Snowballs
Banned User
campgottagopee wrote
Acorns dropping early this year, green ones too. Don't know what that means tho.

Apples are supposed to be dropping early, too. Report I saw blamed it on the dry weather.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
A week out, but it looks like y'all could be in for some intense rain. Up to 5" in less than 24 hours in parts of the Catskills.

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Things have trended toward a lot less precip. Highest amounts over an inch in Southern New Hampshire but nowhere near as impressive as the totals in the run from yesterday.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
 runs now show zero precipt from the system..the north east really needed the rain.. storm only gets as far north as the Georgia / SC boarder...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sure feels like the media wants this storm to be or seem as bad as possible.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Ugh. Just another media hyped weather event that will almost definitely not be as bad as advertised.

I remember last winter when they said everyone should stay inside their houses because the -10 degree temps were "deadly". Some of the best skiing days of the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
my sister lives on South Beach in Miami, she asked the other day if she should evacuate.. Told her to stay put , she said it hardly rained and spent most of the day watching the surfers...

that being said , some of the coastal communities are getting roughed up....but wide spread devastation is not in the cards.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
With the potential and uncertainty associated with a storm like Matthew.....I don't fault the media for their coverage.  Sure, it's "only" a category 3 and the eyewall is staying far enough off the coast to keep the devastating winds down.  However, the storm surge and flooding, which are the primary killers in hurricanes, are going to be significant and devastating to some.  Without the "hype" it might have been devastating to even more people than it ends up being.

Sure, the media eats it up and goes to sensational worst case reporting, but in these circumstances I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Jason.....Miami, as far as I saw, was never under a Hurricane Warning, I think they had a Trpoical Storm Warning?  Sure, they didn't even get that.  However, unless something is a guaranteed Andrew is the media supposed to lay off?  Whose going to issue that guarantee?  While the Miami area avoided the impacts, the eye wall is only 10 miles off the Daytona coast, and the storm surge will rival Sandy, which was plenty devastating to an awful lot of people.  I'm glad many have been spared the worst of the potential impacts, but many will still suffer quite a bit....and if that number is less than it could have been as a result of the "hype", how can anyone not be ok with that?

Sorry, I've got good friends in Jacksonville, so I'm a little closer to this one than other storms...
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm saying I saw several report from reporters standing in the rain saying "yea it doesn't look that bad now, but you should have seen it ten minutes ago." I just sense that they are rooting for disaster.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Twas 30 degrees in the valley this morning
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Looks like the Flakes will fly in the higher elevations Sat/Sun..Might even be a coating..

Don't have a clue what generated the above map...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I saw some flakes predicted to mix in at Platty Sat night...

Fingers crossed...it would be nice to see some consistently cooler temps after this summerlike weather the last few days.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I agree..my wife made me turn on the AC last night
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm skiing somewhere Sunday. Just a question of whether it will be the Whiteface Auto Road or somewhere else (maybe somewhere in VT if I go to Ullrfest)
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Looking pretty good for the WF Auto Road.  What was the date you got up there a few years back Matt, somewhere around Oct 15ish?
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Dang.  I was planning to hike the Lyon Mountain fire tower.  Maybe I'll bring some skis and see if I can fire up the Lowenberg T-bar.....
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
1234 ... 14