classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
354 messages Options
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 18
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Adk Jeff
Skied at Gore on Tuesday, 2/11.  Man, you guys who ski mid-week have it good.  Rumor was the pick of the day, lapped it three times in the am.  

Rumor:

As expected, the woods were pretty skied out from the weekend, but the incoming storm should put things back in shape nicely.

I've noticed from Gore's daily conditions report that they seem to be spinning the BRQ, High Peaks chair and North Quad more frequently mid-week.  We had every lift spinning (no Sunway double, who cares) and every terrain pod open (well, no ski bowl).  If that represents a shift in strategy to make more terrain available mid-week, then that's a change for the better.  I asked Mike Pratt about that, his response: "Just doing what we do."  Keep doing it, I say.

Topridge:

My tr and a dozen plus pics are here.  Great day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Did 4 days this week (Mon-Thur).  By far my best days of the season.  First three were totally bluebird... today... not so much.  Coverage is great everywhere.  Topridge skied great the early in the week.  Sagamore had nice bumps on it until Thursday when it got tilled.  They were racing on Twister or Echo every day this week.  

But... today... got to hit fresh cord on Rumor, and it was open from the top.  The first headwall is still a bit slick and there is that golfball thing going on, but... you can really rip down that run.  Lapped it this morning then cut over to a freshly groomed Sagamore that was also great.  The grooming team is doing an amazing job keeping snow pushed around on this that thing.  

Have to work tomorrow and pass goes into blackout Saturday.  Hope there is a mountain left in a week and a half when I can get back.  

Rumor from the mid at about 10am.  Fog was up there all day...
 photo Ski14-46_zps3db40913.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Getting windblown in spots today , glades are pretty beat and most likely not to reopen until we get more snow. Grooming is minimal but I suspect that is so the wind won't polish it. Not much int eh way of crowds for Presidents week. Time to explore some other terrain.    
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Neve and I skied the Ski Bowl and the North Side on Sunday. It was cold and windy enough for me to worry about her face, hands and feet.  The snow was primo. Without Zelda, I was not able to sample the trees.

New Ridge Runner glade looked nice. Anyone been in there?

Ridge Runner

I saw this in the Yurt. Way cool, didn't know it existed:

$38 Lower Mountain Ticket

Will post more later this week.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

k123
I lapped the ridge runner glade a couple times on 2/8 and it was really fun.  The snow was great in there due to the combination of low traffic and low angle.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I hit them on Sunday, getting a little thin in spots. Fun, rolling little glade.

Is this the first year it is on the map? I know I have skied it before this season.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Love Ridge Runner. Far enough away and low angle enough that it holds snow a lot better than most glades. Easy, too. Neve can probably even handle it.

Skied Saturday-Monday. Saturday was great, Sunday was cold and windy and skied off, Monday was surprisingly less crowded and better. After this warm up, it's supposed to get cold and snowy again and that could lead to a good spring (especially because they're done making snow for the year).
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Harvey

Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner is the original layout of The Ridge trail from back in the day Ski Bowl. It needs to widened and it will ski better.

I saw this in the Yurt. Way cool, didn't know it existed:

$38 Lower Mountain Ticket

The lower mt ticket is what they sell at the Ski Bowl for those that only want to use  lift 13 (Village Chair), and not good for chair 12 (Hudson triple). It is also usable and available at the big boy hill for those that are using the J Bar, poma, and magic carpet. It used to be good for chair 3 (super double at base).

Snowing very nicely here now and looks to be another good day in the BC

Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm pretty sure we skied much of that Ridge Runner terrain without any clearing the year the Bowl re-opened.

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/North-Creek-Ski-Bowl-NY-2-27-11-td2591959.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Harvey wrote
I'm pretty sure we skied much of that Ridge Runner terrain without any clearing the year the Bowl re-opened.

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/North-Creek-Ski-Bowl-NY-2-27-11-td2591959.html
Yes we did, and some other goodies as well
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Great snow today with small crowd for a holiday week. Just wondering why most glades are roped off today. Snow is building on the less traveled routesA little hard pack on the steeps, this is the east coast. Overall a really nice day.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Wow - What a day!
What was supposed to be 3-5 skied more like 6 to 10. Late morning and through the afternoon it was puking snow. Light crowds let it fill in between runs. Trails like North Star were pure heaven, deep snow on lower Rumor, glades where great but I hit bottom a lot. A few final laps on Little Dipper - for pure powder runs at the end of the day, a final hoot and holler. Felt like I died and went to Utah.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

CPTele
Has anyone been to Gore in the last 10 days?  It's been pretty quiet here.  I'm thinking of going there tomorrow, but I don't think there's been much in the way of new snow in a while and they list hard pack as the secondary surface on their condition report. Just wondering if it would be worth the trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I was up Thursday afternoon...groomed head to toe...even Rumor!  It was snowing pretty good, maybe an inch or two.  I'll be there first thing tomorrow for the deer valley cord.  There is enough cover in the woods for the most part but it is dust on crust and in the steeper sections even the best edges may not help.  Lower angles might even afford some pow as the winds have been moving it around the mountain...but for me, I will stick to the groomers until we get more snow and/or warmer weather.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Get your edges sharpened.

sudsnbumps wrote
.groomed head to toe...even Rumor!
People were flying out of the bottom of Rumor like missiles this morning. I saw two people narrowly miss a trip into the trees at speed (across Tannery). One was an 11 or 12 year old kid who did an out of control straightline from about 3/4 of the way up, barely made the turn onto Tannery, blew a ski and slid on his ass to the edge of the trail. Scary.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
This is why Rumor shouldn't be groomed. If you can't ski it with control in gnarly, icy bumps, you probably shouldn't ski it with no control when it's groomed flat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Maybe it was wicked icy.

It is surprising how far you slide over hard pack with ski clothes on.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
You get good at that after years of learning on K27 and Zero G.  Thank God my daughter wasn't there today...she calls that a 3 turn day.  It's days like these that make us Eastern skiers so freaking awesome!  I got my Face skis ready for tomorrow.
Go Cuse!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I thought conditions overall were really good today. I got a quick tune first thing in the AM so the edges were sharp which made a big difference. The tuning shop at Gore is A+ IMO. They did some base repair and still turned my skis in less than 20 minutes. Skied lower mountain in the AM which was very carvable. Topridge/Uncas then up top in the afternoon. Straightbrook glade was open and I was really surprised how good it was in there. Under the lift was best. Hawkeye was icy down the middle but good on the sides. Same with Chatty. Rumor had some yellow ice but overall very edgeable. Bring sharp edges and you'll have a good time.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by miker92
miker92 wrote
This is why Rumor shouldn't be groomed. If you can't ski it with control in gnarly, icy bumps, you probably shouldn't ski it with no control when it's groomed flat.
On the positive side, whomever (hopefully me) gets to ski it when it first changes over from ice to corn will have a lot of fun.
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 18