354 messages Options
1 ... 131415161718
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

YUKON CORNELIUS
The sign went up on Saturday.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
I will never get on board with adding unmarked glades. They're crowded enough. We acknowledge the disciplinary risk of skiing them in exchange for their relative secrecy.
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
Sunday I wandered over there with the boy. On the way in as we were shuffling through the "traditional" entrance the boy says "Dad, this is Rabbit glades". I argued with him the rest of the shuffle, but he insisted he saw a sign---I just assumed it was a mountain bike trail sign....Turns out he was right!

Regardless, we got to the end and saw those obnoxious lollipops and I was awfully befuddled. Told him we didn't just shuffle through the entrance only to get diverted down that bogus connector trail back to Tahawus--so we scooted up hedges to the real TG entrance and went from there. Skiing was great, but it just wasn't real clear what was going on with the new layout....
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by miker92
miker92 wrote
I will never get on board with adding unmarked glades. They're crowded enough. We acknowledge the disciplinary risk of skiing them in exchange for their relative secrecy.
I agree completely. Just sayin that having trails like rabbit, half and half, etc. don't really add any value to the trail count IMO. I guess its the same as having the crossover trails on the trail report. Good to know if they are open or closed, but don't really count towards the "true" trail count. Really silly if they have rabbit open and they expect people to turn back around and go down hedges after that traverse.

"Man I did that rabbit traverse the other day to get first tracks on hedges. It was awesome!"

Said no one ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
I will certainly miss the "gong show" that used to go on when people duck the rope and hit the old metal closed sign with their poles as they ski by.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
My prediction-tahawus glad lappers like me will eventually force Gore to put up a diverter fence, and we will tromp over it just like we have done the orange fence off chatti
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
The snow on all trails has been great, but the bottoms of the lower glades (Chatterbox, Twister) are getting quite bare. Stay on the top if you want trees. Other than that, the weekend should be quite nice.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Skied Saturday morning.  Crowds not too bad, cars only going to Lot D.  Tomorrow's $39 lift ticket day, so maybe it will be more crowded then, but it's also supposed to rain, soooo…….  Chatterbox glade looking very bare and closed.  Didn't hit any glades, other than Otter Slide as I was alone and it was pretty grippy at the bottom, so I stayed out elsewhere, but glades that are open, probably skied better if they were up top.  Best run for me was Sagamore and there were many people lapping it!  The fog at the top was intense, but seemed to be giving way when I left.  Temps in the high 30s, but no sun, so the whole mountain skied.  I saw a sign at one point that Top Ridge was closed, and that may have been due to the fog.  It made it very difficult to tell the difference between fog and trail.  Echo and Twister also skied well.  
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
The woods were variable. If they were skied they were better than the "freshies" Dark side glade was nice, Darby Woods also but less skied ones were grippy...you had to keep on your toes...too much work for me.  I was surprised to see Cirque open from Echo side.  There is a mandatory drop of about 6 feet at the throat that always gets skied off.  Barkeater and Boreas also very nice.  Tonights snow will dress up the mountain nicely for tomorrow  
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Damn! 7 miles north of Gore. 1350' elevation. 36 degrees. A lot of precip that is not snow.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the heads up.  The borderline radar...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

baitman5238
This post was updated on .
at The Summit 7am, light misty r***,  Gore is in the clouds so not quite sure what the precip is there
Reply | Threaded
|

gkny
the Gore website posted for today (March 30) shows that the Straight Brook Quad is not anticipated to be open.
What's up with that? Broke down recently?  
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
About a month ago they had some problems with it and it was out for a couple of days I think.  Ugh!  Hope they're not looking at needing to replace two lifts! :(
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
ICE!  They were chipping one lift at a time today.  They were trying to open topridge when I left.  Lower Mt and North Pod all skied very well but I was soaked through after 3 hours and done.  
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
sudsnbumps wrote
ICE!  They were chipping one lift at a time today.  They were trying to open topridge when I left.  Lower Mt and North Pod all skied very well but I was soaked through after 3 hours and done.
Bummer. I should've gone Saturday I guess. Woke up yesterday morning, looked at some early reports and decided to stay at home and play with the kiddos. Glad I did. Hoping for some nice sunny spring skiing next weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Saturday was good. Burnt Ridge, glades and all, skied like Spring. Summit was completely fogged in and the snow in the trees up there was a little "rotten" where it hadn't been skied in yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
everything was rippin today.was a blast skiing with a big pack of black. all lifts spinning.woods not in play due to the heavy amounts of ice falling of the trees and the subsequent buildup of ice cubes ,branches ,limbs ,trees littered about.mysterious power outage left us hanging on lift 10 for 40min .
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
freeheeln wrote
everything was rippin today.was a blast skiing with a big pack of black. all lifts spinning.woods not in play due to the heavy amounts of ice falling of the trees and the subsequent buildup of ice cubes ,branches ,limbs ,trees littered about.mysterious power outage left us hanging on lift 10 for 40min .
Yes it was a great day, but unfortunately the power outage is still in effect with no TopRidge or Burnt Ridge today  It will be interesting to see if the lift tix for paying customers are half price, seeing that we'll only have half of a mt. Guess this is an example of being Gored Again!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Interesting. No note in the snow report about the reason - just no Topridge or BR chair listed for today. Good thing High Pines is open today.

Hope they get it sorted out. Would like to take a vaca day tomorrow.
1 ... 131415161718