classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
354 messages Options
1 ... 12131415161718
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Duck T. R.
 Today can be described in five words. Too bad you weren't there!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
It didn't suck
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40

Wind blown sweetness!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Was amazing to see that Gore got 20 inches of snow three days in a row. According to the conditions page.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Thacheronix wrote
Was amazing to see that Gore got 20 inches of snow three days in a row. According to the conditions page.
Yea - right.
I may have to ski Gore tomorrow, the BC was manky at lower elevations today. Will be horrendous tomorrow if it sets up tonight. Buds decided on ice climbing tomorrow but that ain't my thing. Where there many SPORS out today in Prattville?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
This post was updated on .
Another fantastic day. Lower elevation stuff got soft and heavy late. Still lots of snow in twister glade and burnt ridge glades. Didn't go all the way to the bowl. Snow up top is still nice and powdery.

Stay in the trees on Bear and above tomorrow. If u are on the fence GO.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Gore was quite nice today, not too many SPORS. Found some freshies that the cold had dried out nicely. Didn't hit bottom all day. Many of the placed I like to visit were untouched or only a few tracks. The only bad spot was the base area which suffered from bad grooming, lots of chunks, like skiing on a gravel road. If this keeps up we may be able to hike Trails into early May.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
Conditions were okay, but kind of wished I had stayed at Whiteface which got some orographic snows from the passing cold front. The rapid freeze made for some fast conditions. I stayed away from the lower elevations as much as I could because of coral reef conditions. Up high, the only thing worth skiing IMO were the glades. The trails were soft on the sides, but mostly hardback and ice. The glades had decent coverage. I had some good runs in Chatiemac and Darby. Was looking to have a nice last run in an-off-the map glade. It had been sideslipped down to the rock and ice. Meh.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
We found some very nice snow and conditions in off-map woods all afternoon yesterday, thanks to a few free-heelin' locals who showed us some goodies.  

Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
some clown post holed the entire way on upper tahawus glade .  wtf
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Gore skied nicely today!  Plenty of snow in the woods on Chattiemac, Chatterbox, Otter Slide and Kilkare glades, though Kilkare had the most exposed spots.  Sun didn't really come out, so the snow didn't get mushy and later in the afternoon, a front moved in and there was some nice light snow.  A bit windy at the end of the day.  Hardly anyone there.  Love when I get to fish on a weekday.  Hawkeye, Chattiemac, Pine Knot, Hulabaloo, all with plenty of fresh snow.  Gore reported 4 inches over the past 24 hours and it showed.  Sagamore was wonderful with the new snow, though my daughter didn't like it.  She's too used to skiing on ice I guess! ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
My son , grandson and i skied it wednesday and the snow was great .

We got it all :we hit the Gondi and Northwoods area  ,Topridge  triple area , the Northside quad , Straightbrook  quad ,the High peaks chair on the Dark side and Burnt Ridge quad area , the village snowbowl was NOT open . We skied from opening to closing and mid week ski on conditions no wait at all !!!.  

Price was right for me @70' and got my grandson in for free due to their family promotion and my son had a Fox 44 card . After toasting ourselves  on the hill for the entire day didi the long soak in the hot tub then pigged out at O.G. In Queensbury

Was planning on doing WEST Mtn yesterday BUT apparently they changed their hrs just tuesday unbeknownst to us , they didnt open till 3 pm. That was a real WTF moment ??? My son had to be back at his hospital in Manhattan by 4 so West crapped out   Dammit !

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Another GREAT day at Gore.  Almost everything open.  It never really warmed up at all, so the lower runs skied well all day, never turning to mashed potatoes.  The sun never made an appearance .  Liftie's thermometers hovered in the 20s and when you were on the lift and that wind would pick up, ugh!  Cars reached only to Lot F, so people's thoughts are changing to other activities, but there is plenty of skiing left!  It was snowing lightly throughout the day, so there was soft fresh snow everywhere.  We added to our glades list, skiing Barkeater and Twister glades for the first time and enjoyed that thoroughly!  If we get any snow with the upcoming storm this week, I think we'll be skiing in there in April!  Snow is definitely in much better shape for this time of the year when compared to year's past, though the wind did blow a lot of snow off the run just below the saddle lodge, exposing a very large sheet of ice just above the start of Twister so be careful!  Temps expected to drop for tomorrow, so dress warm!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Everybody seemed to agree today that conditions have never been better. Glades were great, and the mini-blizzard we got transformed the open trails from a bit sketchy to pure heaven. Sagamore was the best it has ever been. A lot less crowded than last Saturday. We are in a great weather pattern here. The wind was whipping, but not enough to remove the smiles from everybody's faces.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
what a bonus day today. the upper mountain skied like mid winter with no crowds. the snowpack in the wood is great. too bad it took so long.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
What a great day Saturday was!  I think conditions were great. Most trails had a nice soft topping to really carve. Sagamore is a great run to turn on some speed. Tried some glades, twister,straight brook,kill kare,and lower thawus. All were very nice with some soft stuff,and also a few spots that were maybe a little thin or iced over. Overall a great day ,it's still winter in the daks.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
some clown post holed the entire way on upper tahawus glade .  wtf
Or the newly named "Rabbit Run".

The mountain is in awesome shape. Get out and ski!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
Upper tahawus glade is that just the traverse in from Tahawus trail? From what i remember that was just a flat (poling required) traverse, since they opened Burnt Ridge I have never taken it again.

BTW per other folks comments Saturday was great, skied Boreas for the first time, nice woods run though a little sketchy in the steeper section near the bottom, my skis would have prefered I took the exit onto Sagamore about 3/4 of the way down.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
xWeatherMan wrote
Upper tahawus glade is that just the traverse in from Tahawus trail? From what i remember that was just a flat (poling required) traverse, since they opened Burnt Ridge I have never taken it again.
It has been renamed Rabbit Run Glades to "prevent people from walking/climbing up Hedges" to get into the actual Tahawus Glades and presumably to up the trail/glade count.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
xWeatherMan wrote
It has been renamed Rabbit Run Glades to "prevent people from walking/climbing up Hedges" to get into the actual Tahawus Glades and presumably to up the trail/glade count.
When did it get renamed? Today? Good name for it since only rabbits get to use it. I've only seen it open (for real not on the snow report) a couple times this year for the exact reason of traffic coming down Hedges. I guess there is no other way they could have placed hedges, but it is a bummer to not always have the rabbit open. Its nice if you are doing laps with non-glade skiers on the north side to be able to hit tahawus glade. There are a few good unmarked glades they could just put a sign on if they really want to up the glade count.
1 ... 12131415161718