579 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 29
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Adk Jeff
Footer wrote
Powder day... at least as good as one as we have seen yet.  Great powder that held out throughout the day.
So how much did they get?  Snow report says 2"
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
It was right around that.  There was an inch on the car when we left.  Was coming down pretty hard on the drive up.  2-3 is probably it.  It slowed down around noon and picked back up in the afternoon for about an hour.  
Adk Jeff wrote
Footer wrote
Powder day... at least as good as one as we have seen yet.  Great powder that held out throughout the day.
So how much did they get?  Snow report says 2"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Lotta good snow today.

Skied the morning with frk and the afternoon with MC and Ace. Really nice day.

After a run under the guns on Hawkeye, on the next lift ride you could see they were shutting down the guns.  That section below mid skied great all pm.

I really liked Echo but reviews from others were mixed.

Want to get to the NELSAP event in town, maybe I can post some pics later.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gore was sweet this weekend. Cold temps, good gun pow, some natural, awesome friends.

The front was sublime at opening. We got cord for three runs, Sunway, Twister, Showcase. Today Lower Darby, KHS, Hullabaloo, Twister, Hawkeye, Echo were nice. Trees were good for the first few skiers.

So. Much. Fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

schneiski
Corduroy and ice in morning.  Lies and Chatty were flat and icey.  Not even snow on the edges at first. Hawkeye was still bumped up and a little firm in the morning.  Was thinking I'd head home early, but then I decided to hit Hullabaloo and Lower Darby.  What a blast - nice man made powder and Hullabaloo had large mounds of edgeable snow. Got on the Gondola at 8:30, ended up staying until 2:30.  Good day overall.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Harvey
KHS looks so wide open in that pic.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
White stuff fell all day.  2-3 inches at least.  Large flakes that really held to the ground.  Nothing blowing off or around.  Will be really nice when they dry out a bit.  Still skied great today... and very fast.  Chatiemac was the run of the day for me along with showcase.  Lies was pretty stiff.  Going up again tomorrow, looking forward to what they stuff does when groomed in.  I still don't think they are grooming deep enough, that hard pack is still there every day.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Footer wrote
I still don't think they are grooming deep enough, that hard pack is still there every day.
I don't know much about grooming, but I heard that the reason there was gravel all over the trails is that they were grooming in the wrong direction?

I heard the grooming at West Mountain is excellent again this year. They must have hired someone with experience...

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Harvey wrote
Trees were good for the first few skiers.
I was surprised to see a glade or two listed as open on Sunday's trail report (Darby Woods and whatever they now call Upper Newton).  Low angle stuff skied pretty well:

With the new snow today, more of the trees should be close to being back in play.  Unfortunately, the coming week looks dry.

I thought the grooming on Showcase / Sleighride / Wild Air / Twister was quite good yesterday - surfaces seemed to stand up to the traffic and remained edgeable all day.

mattchuck2 wrote
I heard the grooming at West Mountain is excellent again this year. They must have hired someone with experience...
I'll be there Weds night & report in the West conditions thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Bluebird day today with zero wind.  Grooming was much better today.  Never made it over to Burnt ridge to give sagamore a run.  Lies skied great, found nice powder on skier left tree line late into the afternoon.  Hawkeye was pretty much rock hard so I avoided it in the afternoon.  Topridge was great all day, sun exposure really helped it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I was over at Burnt ridge at 10 ish and ski patrol was just starting down.  Duck said two skiers tried to go under the rope and were turned back from Sagamore.  It was groomed so I really didn't stick around but Echo was awesome and probably my second favorite run of the day...did it twice before heading to the Darkside for the rest of the day.  Echo was ungroomed with windblown powder inside of cut up snow.  The one steep pitch was edgeable but hard manmade(only way to describe it)...the only flaw.  Woods skied really nice.  not quite enough snow for the steepest pitches though as the base is solid.  Lower Darby was incredible.  Big bumps with powder in the troughs...wow.  Never made it to Straightbrook or Topridge
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
things are skiing in very nicely ,alot of smiles today
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
And all Gore skiers can heave a huge sigh of relief, as the period between 12/26* and the day the Ski Bowl opens, is now over.

*arbitrary date from a old wives tale
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Now we need the ski bowl glades...a little snow tomorrow night
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
The ski bowl glades will definitely need another storm, maybe two. The ski bowl in General is in rough shape snowmaking and grooming -wise. As of today, there was also no (open) connecting trail from Burnt Ridge to the North. There is some work to be done for the big upcoming weekend.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Anyone know why the dark side/High Peaks chair is closed?  Sucks 'cause the girls were looking forward to it today and tomorrow.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"Troubleshooting a mechanical problem."

Sorry that's all I got.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Thanks Harv.  Unless they fix it by tomorrow, I guess it will be Pine Knot.

Lots of ice patches all over the place today.  We didn't get to the mountain until around 1:30 and stayed until they closed the North Quad.  We skied Burnt Ridge for the first time -- that steep mogul patch on Echo was very challenging.  Trying to convince the girls to try Sagamore tomorrow, but will probably instead head to the top for Open Pit, Cloud, Headwaters and Tannery.

Anybody heading to the torchlight parade and fireworks?

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
The Hudson Chair was down first thing this morning. I was going to take the shuttle, but thankfully bumped into a friend and hitched a ride up to the base lodge. The Burnt Ridge Chair went down a couple of times. It sounded like it might have been running on diesel?

We need a storm, but a lot of the mountain has a nice solid base. Things are definitely hard and fast. Echo skied well today under the guns. I think between the crowds, etc. Burnt Ridge was the place to ski today.

We'll be at the fireworks. Should be fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I heard there was an evac on Lift 6.  Anybody on it?
1 ... 6789101112 ... 29