579 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 29
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
Something with the gearbox, that's all I know. The urgency issue is complicated.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Ah, but such a charming, quaint and for the most part a wind free ride. I hope any new lift there stays lower than the trees and it's path stays narrow.
Agree.  I wouldn't change a thing other than extending it to the top of Rumor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Adk Jeff wrote
Snowballs wrote
Ah, but such a charming, quaint and for the most part a wind free ride. I hope any new lift there stays lower than the trees and it's path stays narrow.
+1

Unfortunately I think the it's likely that the lift will be higher.

Also... is there really a chance it could still be a double? Oh please say yes.  I don't think they really make triples these days?
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Harvey wrote
Why?  You thinking they'll re-use some of the AE 1 towers?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Adk Jeff wrote
Harvey wrote
Why?  You thinking they'll re-use some of the AE 1 towers?
I had heard that pretty consistently three and two years ago, but not hearing that anymore. (Doesn't mean it isn't happening.)

No I'm thinking about the lollipop spot where skiers under the lift are in some danger when every chair is full. Maybe they could pull the line tighter or reposition towers or make only one tower higher?  Opinions anyone?

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
My guess is they wouldn't necessarily use the same tower locations. Love that lift ( and Straightbrook ) on cold, windy days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Adk Jeff wrote
Snowballs wrote
+1

Also... is there really a chance it could still be a double? Oh please say yes.  I don't think they really make triples these days?
I love that lift.  Tough for the lone parent skiing with more than one little one, but I definitely agree with the "charming and quaint" part.  Sometimes change is not for the better.  

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Something with the gearbox, that's all I know. The urgency issue is complicated.
2 bearings on the worm gear.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
dark side woods rocked , fresh after fresh. love hitting it after the chair has  been down for a few days. top was empty . blowing topridge little moist ,as well as foxlair. a lower mt woods  was not chattery either
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Holy X-Games, Batman!

Just checked out the Gore website, guess what?  Cedars Traverse, Eagles Nest Crossover and Sagamore are now considered Freestyle Terrain.  Guess I'll get to polish up my double corker  before I head to Aspen for the competition!

Let'em Rip!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by freeheeln
The mountain skied very well. That extra 2-3" from the beginning of the week seems to have really helped things out. That and about 14,000 fewer people on the trails.

Woods were still good. Top Ridge had HUGE mounds of snow all over it, but was closed "because the snow was too wet". Guns were going on Foxlair and Fairview also. The snowmaking crew was testing out the compressors on Rumor. Word on the hill is that will be getting fired up very soon.

The only negative is that the grooming is still a little weird (ice golf balls) on certain parts of the mountain.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
I thought the mountain skied great today.  No crowds.  Considering the relative lack of snow since Christmas, they are doing a great job keeping the trails covered.

Guns going like crazy on Rumour., looked like people were having a blast skiing  under the guns. I think Echo was closed.  Twister skied great, great cover.  North side was fully open, powder pass and Northstar were fun.  Did not ski Sunway or Showcase, not sure how they are.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
Today was great.  Rumor, Lies, Topridge and Wild Air had the best snow. Dark Side Glades were really good as well. The weather was beautiful too.  Echo was closed for racing, so you had to go over to the North Quad to exit Burnt Ridge.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Most of the mountain had decent snow.  At least most of what I skied.

Wild Air was a hoot!  They had whales so high and pointy that they had to lollipop off the Gondola or you might hit it.

Tahawas had the best snow we skied, we did it twice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Nice little snowfall happening up here, maybe a couple inches by opening?

Wind is HOWLING.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
I was lucky enough on Saturday to get off the Dark Side Chair right when Patrol dropped the rope on Lies. The headwall on that first run was unreal. I skied that a couple of more times until they opened Rumor from the goat path down. That was also in great shape. Skiers right had some pretty serious debris from something shaking loose the night before, but skiers left under the guns was sick. Gun Pow, whales, and elevator drops.

Sunday they opened Rumor from the top, but by the time I got to it the snow had been pretty well worked over. I bet it was good for the first 10-20 skiers, but a lot of junk showed up after that. The snow was also slabbing off in thick chunks and raining down the head wall. Between dodging those, the rocks and stumps, and the people that maybe shouldn't have been on it, I will say it was just OK. It definitely needs more snow, IMO.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
Was at the mountain Sunday. Low crowds and brilliant blue skies, cold but tolerable. Thought conditions were so-so a number of runs were kind of icy including lower half of Sagmore and lower half of lies, the headwall with the snow gun going on Lies was great. One real disappointment was Top Ridge where i know they just blew snow for a couple of days, it had giant whales which more often than not were very icy, perhaps they had some issues making snow there, given how cold it has been they should be able to make better snow than that.  Most of the gondola runs were in good shape, Tahawas glad also had very nice snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Those gun whales on Top Ridge had been sitting there since at least Thursday. (If you didn't like those, be glad you didn't ski Fairview.)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Snowing lightly in North River. Looked like snow falling on top of Gore when I drove through town an hour ago. Not sure I see seven inches on the porch since last Sunday, but it's awesome snow.

Cold and dropping really fast, dropped 7 degrees in the last 45 minutes.

Working on the fire and then maybe a headlamp ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

schneiski
Went up today and decided to park at the Ski Bowl.  I'm glad I did, all the lifts up top were closed due to 45 knot winds.  Only Burnt Ridge and Adk Express open in the morning.  We stayed at the Bowl and skied the 46er Glades and Ridge Runner Glades.  They were in OK shape, scratchy of course.  People were kind of poaching the trail under the main lift by cutting back over through the woods.  At ~11:00, they closed the 46er glades - I have no idea why - maybe they wanted to stop people from skiing the trail under the lift.  What are they saving it for?!?!  It was in really nice shape!

We didn't stay long because my daughter forgot her snow pants and her underlayers weren't going to cut it when it was this cold.  She was a trooper and did a few runs with an extra pair of athletic pants from my son. Don't know if the top of Gore opened latter in the day.
1 ... 891011121314 ... 29