579 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 29
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Snowballs
Banned User
Yea really, there hasn't even been much talk about it on here. Normally, that would create quite a buzz.

Good thing the new AE II lift is there. If the old one was still there and it also broke down it would be a major bitch fest.

Maybe North Korea is behind it all ?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
This post has been moved to here.

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Lifespan-of-High-Speed-Lifts-td4051024.html
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
snoloco wrote
There are probably more lifts that I am missing, but I think I have a good list.
You certainly do. That was interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post it for us. You're an asset to this community.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
The car I drive to the mountain is the same age... Its still going.  Needs a kick every once and awhile but still goes.  

FYI... I was on it at about 11:30 or so.  It did stop when I was on it.  It kind of shuttered/bounced the cabin then stopped.  About 2 minutes later it picked up full speed and got us to the top.  
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
If you could put up with the rain the skiing today was nice.  Topridge was the trail as it was in the perfect spot.  Frontside was thick...twice baked potatoes
The summit, when I was there had a thick crust.  Lies was awesome because each right hand turn (I was on skiers left near the woods) sent massive chunks of snow over a hollow sounding base (what I imagine a wet snow slide would sound like).  They got somewhere between 2-4 inches of cement before it turned to rain.  I left at 10:30 soaked but happy I was there.
It was a nice workout before work and then the fun of family at this time of year (Harvey...that is sarcasm)
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by snoloco
Hey look!
When I come on I here some evenings when I have a free moment and i like to poke around and see what's being said.  More so when waiting for the season to begin.
But when the season begins I want to know the ski conditions.  I need the recon to plan my road trips.
So could we leave all the lift crap for the Woodstove or wherever it goes and save the ski conditions for the ski conditions?  
I love the enthusiasm, but let's put down the iPhone once and a while and give it a rest.  The season has begun in earnest.  Go ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sno I'm with GFH on this. Why have a Gore Conditions thread or a Conditions subforum?

I'm busy at work during the day, family at night so I can't keep up with this stuff. Once there are a bunch of responses on a post that is off topic it's a lot of extra work to sort it all out. Stop it you're driving me nuts.

Basic rules for the conditions threads:

• Post mountain conditions or news that relates to skiing in the next few days

• DON'T change the name of the conditions thread. DON'T ADD THE DATE to the title your post. EVERY POST IS DATED, so just say "today" or "yesterday" in your post. When people reply it uses the same title.

Ask yourself does this post relate to the conditions at the mountain listed in the thread title? It's not that hard.

Sorry I'm posting a pile of crap in a Conditions thread, but when I post in the OT you don't listen:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Attn-Snoloco-tp4046907p4050885.html

Sorry to be OCD, but it's who I am. I'm trying to live with your lack of respect or attention or whatever it is, so try to live with my shit. Keep it up and I'm just going to delete your stuff.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Sorry the lift upgrade list was off topic.  It has been moved to the woodstove.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Harvey,

That looks like late March to early April snow.  Please give us an update later as to how the rest of the mountain is holding up.  What do you think the outlook is for the weekend?  

Hope you and your family enjoy the day!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
CMR... I am not in North Creek, photo was txt to me by Shaman. His report was short... what's soft (East Side) is reasonably nice.  They hadn't opened the summit when he sent it, he said Pine Knot was very firm.

This is one of those times when a complete, detailed snow report would be helpful for those of us who are far away.  The Podcast indicated that snowmaking will resume tomorrow.

If I hear more I will share.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Skier: I honestly think the conditions were OK considering what we went through.

Gore: We'll be in good shape. The next 3 days are not real cold but colder with elevation. Grooming will hit most everything. Snow making heading up top. Chatiemac plus.

Based on the temps I'd be surprised to see the guns running before tomorrow night.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Guns were starting up on Chati yesterday afternoon. Most of the summit was hard/icy. Top ridge and Uncas in the sun skied like Spring. Lower mountain also got pretty soft. Not in bad shape considering how much rain we got.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I skied yesterday (Saturday), and I'll echo what Yuke said ^^, the mountain was in better shape than I had expected.  Plenty of open terrain, and good coverage on everything that was open.  Turned out to be a really fun ski day due to hero snow conditions everywhere except for the very top of the mountain.  I think it'll be a different story once all that wet granular spring snow freezes hard, at least until the snowmakers get things re-surfaced.

Spring bumps popping up on Arena:

Guns were blowing on Chati until early afternoon, when they shut 'em down due to rising temps:

Link to TR and a few more pics
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Adk Jeff wrote
Spring bumps popping up on Arena:
Those look nice. I hope they leave them there and just make snow on top of them for the next 2 weeks in preparation for the bump contest.

But, they'll probably mow down those nice, natural bumps and replace them with those huge groomer-made mounds of death like they usually do.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
They mowed them down Saturday night but low and behold they were back by lunch time Sunday.  Had to drop people off at Albany Airport 5 am Sunday morning and it was pouring rain all the way to and from Saratoga...didn't expect much but had a great day with my youngest.  Snow was soft early but the temps dropped slowly all day firming things up by end of day.  Chati guns were going...came on late morning and continued past 3 pm when we left.  Demo day was a good way to bring people that may have not come due to rain, although Volkl didn't show.  Hullabaloo and Darby were bumped and seemed to ski steeper than normal.  Cool grooming track on Hullabaloo made it really fun with multiple lines of all intensities...sorry no pics.  The mountain is in great shape where (IMO) only 8-10 inches will bring the woods back into play.  

Oh and watch out on Wood In...areas of open water to jump, we only did it once
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
We skied today (Monday 12/29).  North Side has only two trails open, Sleeping Bear and Tahawus.  Tahawus scraped down to dirt in a lot of places.  Sleeping Bear in better shape but could use snow.  They are supposed to start blowing snow on Pete Gay tonight, I think.  They were blowing on Sunway as well.  

Wood In is an adventure with the large open patches.  They started blowing snow there this afternoon.  Cloud was nice, more snow blowing.  Lies and Open Pit were open, looked inviting. Oldest not feeling well so we had to call it an early day and I did not get to explore the rest of High Peaks pod.

From the AE II, Showcase looked like it still had decent coverage.  By the end of the day on Sunway and Otter Slide you'd be skating on a large patch of ice and then hit mounds of loose blown snow.  

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote
They mowed them down Saturday night but low and behold they were back by lunch time Sunday.
We read this on the Gondi... I was with Duck. LMAO good one.

Today was sugary.  We skied bell-to-12:30 and then went nordic.  Seems like every day this week will be better, grooming and blowing.

Wood In... you guys are a bunch of babies.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
wood in was interesting, lol.  Lies was icy on the headwall but ok for the rest, upper chatty was fun.  Showcase had the best snow on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by Harvey
Was the dark side open today?  What is this Duck thing?  I heard something like the Hermit of Olmsteadville...only skiing the midweek groomers or BC...on Chinese made American skis.  The groom track on Hullabaloo was interesting Sunday...should have its own thread
I'll be back
1 ... 3456789 ... 29