547 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
Still should be a good day, maybe gitsum.
Blacked out for one more day, unfortunately.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Gondola open, but Foxlair is terrible: guns continuously blowing in your face making it almost impossible to see the chunky irregular machine-made snow.

Showcase skied really nice today, and no guns blowing. Sunway/Quicksilver also was nice, despite the scraped-off area before it meets Jamboree.

Not too crowded when I left. People still trickling in, but still a lot of parking spaces in the front lots.

Upper mountain looks like it caught a lot of snow.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Conditions are getting better, but I may never voluntarily ski Showcase ever again.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They said they were opening the gondola this weekend which they did.  I check the snow report for tomorrow and they immediately closed the AE2.  They went through all that trouble to open the gondola, just to get two lame connector trails open.  Maybe they need to do some maintenance on the AE2, but it seems counterproductive to stop running a HSQ in favor of a gondola, when it doesn't provide any better terrain and requires skiers to remove equipment every run.  My guess is definitely maintenance.  That lift has run every day for over a month and there could very well be something that needs to be done that requires downtime.  Also, its supposed to be cold tomorrow, so the AE2 would have few takers.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Or maybe, tomorrow will be a normal slow Monday and there is no need to run 2 HS Lifts to serve the terrain.  With a high temperature around 0 the Gondola might make sense.

The lame connector trails are basically a requirement for terrain expansion, aka Topridge.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I made that point about it being cold.  While I try to use the AE2 as much as possible, if both lifts were running with no line and it was 0, I'd probably use the gondola.  

The two connector trails are needed when and only when Topridge gets opened.  Before that, they're pointless, but if they're ready before Topridge and both are being blown, I've not nothing against opening them before.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
snoloco wrote
The two connector trails are needed when and only when Topridge gets opened.  Before that, they're pointless, but if they're ready before Topridge and both are being blown, I've not nothing against opening them before.
You usually make pretty good points but you are way off base on this one. With the Gondi open they can claim two more trails on the trail count which will help to attract more people next weekend. If they are only going to run 1 lift it sould be the one that serves the most terrain.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Single digit temps and windy on Monday. Switching to the gondola over AE2 is a smart move.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Ruby was awful. Fixedheeln "Why is the snow all yellow?"
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by snoloco
Sno-

This is your non-official two week notice.  MLK weekend is nigh, if you can cajole your family to sojurn to The Crick, you may change you tune, with regards to Gore.  On Sunday, 1/17/16 you can experience all the best that the Adirondacks, "Ride Up, Slide Down" can offer.

What so you to a Potluck Lunch, and Supper?

Heck, we'll even throw in a torchlight parade if you so desire.  But wait, there's more.

If you promise to attend, we just might go hog-wild and throw in some fireworks display to boot.

The table-surfing clinic (not to be missed) starts about the time the band gets back together and kicks into some ski-themed ballad-Rocky Mountain Way, Hell's Bells, Gimme Shelter, whatnot.  Your folks will clue you in.

You might even go left, then right with a downhill bias with some noted locals.  If you do that pretty good, the Forum might let you buy us all a beer.  If you need some coaching there might be a thousand years of coaching/teaching/mentoring experience on the Forum to help your on your way.  So you can buy us all a beer.

All the best, Ski you on the Hill.

P.S.  If we didn't like you, we wouldn't bust on you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Topridge photo from Gore Mountain's Facebook page
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Looks like they're making a push toward the Summit since Tannery and Headwaters are lit up.  However, no Pine Knot or Cloud.  Those two are needed to open it.  They may do an expansion for max lifts and not many trails in the upcoming week.  If they open Cloud to Headwaters, they get the Straightbrook Quad.  Open up Little Cloud and they've got the High Peaks Chair too.  One trail on the North Side and Burnt Ridge should be doable my MLK Weekend.  The Ski Bowl is most likely a lost cause this year because Pipeline has no snowmaking, so it won't be connected.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
They are blowing snow in the bowl.  There is a HS nordic race there this weekend in the area of the tubing.
I imagine they want to have the tubing and the village slopes open for MLK jr day
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
From this morning's snow report:
"Look for snowmakers working away on Tannery, Uncas, Lower Sunway, Showcase, Wild Air, Pot Luck, and the J-bar area"

I guess I should study the trail map more, but what is "Pot Luck?"  They didn't steal another off-the-map glade, rename it and install snowmaking, did they?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
 It's there because of some trail renaming.  It used to be that Wild Air was the terrain park (and it still is), and it went mostly under the gondola, and then moved away to skiers right and the route that continued under the gondola was called Stokes.  Stokes no longer exists and Wild Air is the complete gondola route until it becomes The Arena, but no park stuff past Pot Luck.  Pot Luck is the park route and is the old Wild Air.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Aha.  Makes sense, kinda.  I just call that whole area "Wild Air."  
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by snoloco
Pineknot is not needed to open lift 7.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
Anyone make any turns today? Things must be getting good.... Wife, daughter and I will hit it 1st thing Saturday morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Skied yesterday and it is getting better.  If we can survive the weekend we should be golden.  I'll be there Saturday.  I wonder if they groomed Topridge today because it was a lot of fun ungroomed yesterday  edgeable chalk and whale backs
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Gore skied much better before lunch than after. There was a decent crowd, bot not enough for a lift line. But there were enough skiers to make the hill pretty scratchy in the afternoon. The whalebacks on topridge are getting harder -quite challenging for me. Uncas was really nice though and remained nice until i left.

If you are skiing tomorrow i suggest an early arrival.

Tom
1 ... 6789101112 ... 28