1 ... 45678910 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

freeheeln
snoloco wrote
If I were calling the shots,
It would look even worse, you have no idea what goes on.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Skied Gore for a second day. I got there about 11:00, the patrollers at the bottom were warning folks of dire conditions do I went in the lodge for a cup of coffee and waited about 30 minutes. Showcase was nice and just got better, it was fun to slide around on soft bumps in December.
I rode with Patrol Monday morning, on the first check of Showcase and sat in on the meeting where they discussed what to do.  On the first run there were a few spots where you went from reasonably grippy manmade to some really slick stuff.  It wasn't impossible to ski, but I can see how a blue skiers, expecting Showcase to be it's usual blue self, could get a bit freaked.

Patrol decided that Showcase was expert only to start and chose the two youngest patrollers to ski down to the lift line and break the news to peeps waiting in line.  I asked the two young ladies what they thought about getting that job:

"We're always chosen to give the public bad news!  No one yells at cute 20 year old girls!"

ROFLMOA

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
I asked the two young ladies what they thought about getting that job:

"We're always chosen to give the public bad news!  No one yells at cute 20 year old girls!"
I may have seen you there, dark attire, fanny pack, tele skis, I believe I flew over you in the AM.

I agree with the patrollers self assessment. However they were gone by noon.

Sno - routes from the Gondi are can get made up quickly with cold temps - two weeks of 24 hour freezing temps & 24 hour snow making and they should be able to get everything open. I would imagine the Snowmakers are chomping at the bit to get the hours in and will go non-stop.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Skied gore from 10:00-1:00 today. Looked terrible, but skied nice. Tiring for an intermediate between the moguls and navigating around the mud. I think thr holiday week will be a chalenge.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve C.
Hit Gore today, expecting a disaster, and was pleasantly surprised.  Sure, it necks down in spots, and I had to skim a couple of feet of mud once or twice, but laps on Showcase could be done never removing skis, and Sunway only required a dismount at the very bottom to carry over to the base of the triple, oops, er, quad.  For the most part, pleasant spring conditions, and not too sticky since the cloud cover kept the sun at bay for the most part.  The only bummer was that Cafe Sarah was closed in North Creek, so I couldn't get my cookie fix.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
See if you can guess who this report came from, via messenger:

"Happy Holidays!  Sunway-Quicksilver got a good grooming with Showcase skier's right groomed, thin, but skiing well all things considered.  Ski what you can!

Peace and Protection"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Auntie Em ?

Mensch on a bench ?
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
See if you can guess who this report came from, via messenger:

"Happy Holidays!  Sunway-Quicksilver got a good grooming with Showcase skier's right groomed, thin, but skiing well all things considered.  Ski what you can!

Peace and Protection"
Abraham Lincoln
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
freeheeln wrote
Abraham Lincoln
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"Lines are charged. We'll start with the cold on top of bear as soon as we hit the magic number.  We'll follow the cold down Showcase and Sunway and eventually Bearcub as we can. We'll go through the day tomorrow, adding in Sleighride."
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I don't really know how to compare, so I'll stick to... we had fun.

I was COLD but only in a, twenty degrees feels cold when it was 70 last week, kind of way.

And in the morning we were constantly under the guns, both up and down.

I had to fake that I was cold to get Neve to go in a couple times.  

And actually I didn't have to fake it, since I was actually cold.

Lots of nice pushable silk snow around and it got better with each run. There was some boilerplate, but not much.

I'd have skied all day if I hadn't forgotten my earplugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Peace and Protection"
Planned Parenthood
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Harvey wrote
I'd have skied all day if I hadn't forgotten my earplugs.
 Sounds pleasant. Do you have one of those white noise  sleeping machines with snow guns on it to prep yourself
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Last night I was told they were going to be blowing on closed terrain only, but that didn't come to pass.  I cant take much of those ratniks. We did maybe 5 or 6 laps.

Normally these days Gore is running those quieter high efficiency guns on the East Side, but the window is small and the High E guns don't make as much snow so they were hammering the rats. If they weren't, I'm sure there'd be criticism of that too.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I am sure they are blasting all they can right now. Better to defend the territory they have already captured than to advance on more. Although Patton would be advancing I am not sure that taking the Montgomery approach would not be the better move (continuing on with your Guns of Navarone theme). Another night of hard snow making and maybe they can have the little bit of terrain they have more enjoyable and edge to edge. I think I will go back tomorrow and ski what ever they have. This might have been the year to have bought a season pass.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Monty was a sissy. If Rommel hadn't ran low on fuel, he would have kicked Monty's schnitzel.

POW on !!!! Blitzkrieg that hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Natural snow made a huge improvement in conditions

Come on out
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Harvey wrote
Natural snow made a huge improvement in conditions

Come on out
How would you rate Gore's trail traffic today...light, moderate, or heavy? Assuming ur out there.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

SalSal
What would be a better option for January 2nd (ur prediction)? Gore/Whiteface or Killi/Stratton/Mount Snow?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
SalSal wrote
What would be a better option for January 2nd
bowling
1 ... 45678910 ... 28