Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Some info via txt, not from the mtn:

"Last night did some damage, not too bad though. Temps looking good for tomorrow and Sunday night as well."

"Guns are going, but at the base yet. 32 down at the bottom but they're going up higher for sure."

"Foxlair Ruby Sunway both sides, Quicksilver, 3b, Showcase and Arena are set up but not online yet."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Thanks Harv. NYSEF is cancelled for the weekend so that should cut down on the traffic. Mountain adventure kids are die hard and will be there. If they can keep the guns cranking Sunday should be decent again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Gore needs to realize that with limited terrain available, it's probably not the brightest idea to have all those instructor clinics going, with the robots following each other down the hill. IMO paid guests have priority.
PSIA- Poor Skiing In Action
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Maybe 3 inches up here at 1900. Gore called it two earlier.

Still nice to have something to post in the totals.
Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
Did a few runs between noon and 2 all down showcase... all things considered, it wasn't terrible. With the guns going all night and whatever Lake Ontario sends us, tomorrow should be even less terrible!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Where it was good today, it was better than expected.  Where it was bad, well...
Showcase had long stretches of good under the guns.  2 pinch points on the bottom third where coverage was poor.
Sunway and Quicksilver best avoided.  

Tomorrow should be measurably better with an additional night of snowmaking.

Tried to post this earlier from my iPhone at Gore, got everything typed in and the Post button disappeared.  3 times.  Undoubtedly operator error.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like an other inch or two overnight. Wind still rippin pretty good.

90% sure that is not operator error Jeff.  Still working on a solution. Thanks for trying.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I had to get out and against my better judgement I went over to Gore. It was a little sticky in the first hour and then turned pretty good. I think I will go again tomorrow. Likely that will have to get me through to the next cool down after the Christmas thaw.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
They pay more than you so may be you should stay home.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
tjf1967 wrote
They pay more than you so may be you should stay home.
They pay more for what? Being taught how to ski like a gaper?
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I thought you meant lessons.  Yeah they could probably hold that off for a few weeks until more terrain opens.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Went yesterday. Better than not skiing? Can't fault the mountain for the crappy weather...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Showcase yesterday was fun. Especially after they turned the guns off on the bottom 3/4. I thought it got better as the day went on. Bottom part of Quicksilver was super sticky wet gun gack. Only made one run over there. For sure better than not skiing. I'd bet they have every rat gun in the inventory on full blast. Production over efficiency is a good call when the window is short.

Once we get some more terrain open I might not ski showcase for the rest of the season. I kid.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Inversion today they were blowing at the bottom. As of now, only Showcase.

Much of Showcase is nice and and very skiable.  Only about 10% is truly sketchy.  Skier traffic is helping.

If you are on the fence and could get here, I would recommend it.

EDIT: Great seeing Outlaw on the hill rippin, and doing a couple runs with him.  I think my T1s are improving my endurance.  I did at t2b on Showcase, which I normally don't even do during the "regular season."
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Showcase skied well today, especially later in the day. They dropped the rope on sunway to quicksilver around 1:00 pm and that was also nice. But there is not a ton of snow so get it while you can.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Skied Gore for a second day. I got there about 11:00, the patrollers at the bottom were warning folks of dire conditions do I went in the lodge for a cup of coffee and waited about 30 minutes. Showcase was nice and just got better, it was fun to slide around on soft bumps in December. I skied until about 3 and drove home. I am happier now as my avatar shows, but it was thin and as such, I think I have the perfect name for this forum, I will be doing a lot of base repair...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
To anyone who's been there recently, how close are they to opening Foxlair or Ruby Run to get the gondola running?  I imagine the entire Christmas week with 1 lift would be a disaster, then again, two trails served by the two lifts with the highest capacity would be a bad idea as well.  If I were calling the shots, I would have done whatever it took to open one additional front side trail, the Sunway Lift, and one run off Topridge to justify having the gondola open.  It would be more like what I'd like to have by Thanksgiving rather than Christmas, but when you get shit warm weather, you can't blow any snow.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
It's out of their hands.  It rained, pretty hard the entire day here in Saratoga and I'm guessing, if anything, North Creek got the same thing or freezing rain or pellets, not snow.   And it's supposed to hit 60 here on Christmas Eve!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm guessing no Ski Bowl or Burnt Ridge at all the entire year.  They'll be lucky to get to the summit before February at this rate.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
I'm guessing no Ski Bowl or Burnt Ridge at all the entire year.  They'll be lucky to get to the summit before February at this rate.
Things can change literally overnight young man. It will happen.
1 ... 3456789 ... 28